Don't Need All The Frills - Point Me To The Cache

I have a Magellan 315 that I bought back in 2000 when I first started geocaching. Basically all I use my GPS for is to point me to caches. However I am frustrated with the receiving capability of the 315 under cover.

So, I'm looking at a replacement unit. If all I am looking for is to point me to the cache (accuracy) AND topo maps, color, street directions, etc. are not important, what can I get away with?

Garmin eTrex H is about as basic as you get while still getting a high sensitivity receiver. B&W screen, no map capability, no electronic compass, optional serial data cable (no usb cable). Costs about $100.

For about $130 you could upgrade to the eTrex Legend H which has a built-in B&W basemap, can store 24 MB of supplemental maps, and includes a USB data cable.

OR

For about $140 you could upgrade to the eTrex Legend HC which has a built-in color basemap, can store 24 MB of supplemental maps, and includes a USB data cable.

I included the two options to show that the most basic unit is often not the best value. Unless you prefer to manually enter coordinates for the caches, the lack of a USB data cable will be a limiting factor. Also, given that there are very good street and topo maps available free at www.gpsfiledepot.com, a color screen and the ability to store maps may be worth the extra $40.

Edited by Glenn W