Geocacher rubber logging stamps.

Colorado Lightning

There's a rubber stamp store here. They make them in any design you want. They also make notary stamps, so if you can't find a store that advertises rubber stamps, try a notary supply shop. Or try looking at a scrapbooking shop; rubber stamps are popular in that hobby.

I see a lot of cachers use an inked stamp to log a geocache. I am wondering where they got them. Just found my fiftieth cache today while out for a run.

CHQualityCoins.com has a link to custom stamps.

VistaPrint has "free" stamps. You pay for shipping and handling. About $5 I think. Text only.

If you're thinking to save time, I've not found anything to be faster than just using a pen to sign the log (unless you count the stickers, which I prefer not to use myself). With a stamp, you need to get the logsheet / logbook on a flat surface, open up the stamp, stamp it evenly, keep everything, then you have to date it with a pen.

I've seen mini daters, but I have not seen customized mini daters.

Edited by Chrysalides

We got ours from our local geocaching store in Victoria, BC. Great for normal size logs, but not for the micros. I would suggest going to a craft store first and constructing your own and see how much use you get out of it before going the custom route. Although ours were not that costly, I have to admit to not using mine that often as it involves taking off my backpack and rummaging through the pocket it resides in - could have signed the log already! Pen on a cord around the neck works wonders......in my case anyway.

I see a lot of cachers use an inked stamp to log a geocache. I am wondering where they got them. Just found my fiftieth cache today while out for a run.

CHQualityCoins.com has a link to custom stamps.

VistaPrint has "free" stamps. You pay for shipping and handling. About $5 I think. Text only.

If you're thinking to save time, I've not found anything to be faster than just using a pen to sign the log (unless you count the stickers, which I prefer not to use myself). With a stamp, you need to get the logsheet / logbook on a flat surface, open up the stamp, stamp it evenly, keep everything, then you have to date it with a pen.

I've seen mini daters, but I have not seen customized mini daters.

I have looked at vista print and they do say FREE for stamps and pens (aslo other items) but if you want more than 1 you will be charged or if you want a diffrent font for example it does cost extra although the extra cost for extras is clearly stated. But they do seem ok if you do just want 1 of an item.

Also good point signing the log perticualy with roll up logs in micros and nanos is much easier and it must be imposible to stamp a nano.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

Pens are faster than stamps, yes.

But if you're like me, your hand writing is horrible! :)

I got my stamper from VistaPrint, along with my calling cards. Yes, I am a cheap bastard!

Stamper:

Zolgar the Insane __/__/__

Toy Soldier, E.A.R.T.H.

Helping Doctor Steel take over the world.

Pens are faster than stamps, yes.

But if you're like me, your hand writing is horrible! :)

Sadly, my penmanship is nothing to write home about (ok, you can stop groaning now).

I use a red pen. That way, if ever questioned, I can just say "look for the red colored log entry dated so and so that looks like a C followed by something. From what I see, most cachers have horrible handwriting, partly because many logs are signed in a hurry in an uncomfortable position.

I admit that there is something that just seem so nice about pulling out a stamp and stamping the logbook. However, practice has not agreed with the idea so far. And I have that same free VistaPrint stamp, complete with the "____/_____/_____" field for date.

If there is a combo pen / stamp (one in each end) I think it might be near perfect.

Just saying...

Some cache owners don't like rubber stamps used in their cache log books because the ink can bleed through the page or else the book gets closed before the ink is dry and it smudges all over the next page :)

However ;) I've seen a few beautiful stamps around, some of which are hand-made and truly unique so, done well, they can be an attractive alternative to a scrawl.

MrsB

Just saying...

Some cache owners don't like rubber stamps used in their cache log books because the ink can bleed through the page or else the book gets closed before the ink is dry and it smudges all over the next page :)

That and they also take up several lines which is an issue for micro logs with limited space.

I see a lot of cachers use an inked stamp to log a geocache. I am wondering where they got them.

Some folks make their own rubber stamps from art erasers. The basic idea is to draw your design on the eraser (backward, of course), and then use an exacto knife to carefully remove the part that isn't part of the design.

Google "homemade rubber stamp" and you'll get lots of ideas. Keep it small as possible!