Thinking about a Garmin GPSMAP 60cx

My wife and I used to have a eTrex Legend. It was our first GPS unit and we bought it days after hearing about geocaching. After 70 finds it broke down with a blank screen. I found info online about a cronic issue with the ribbon connector on eTrex models coming loose. I followed instructions to take it apart and reassemble which got it working again.....for about a week :D. Eventually we just gave up on it.

Sadly that was the end of our geocaching career for awhile. We want to get back into though, so I'm looking at receivers that meet a few criteria.

1) From a different line than eTrex. I'm not against them or anything, I'd just rather change up. Maybe I got a lemon, maybe not, whatever.

2) High sensivity and WAAS enabled

3) Better buttons and menu navigation than the eTrex. I hated that little thumbstick.

The new touch screens are neat but too pricey for us.

Overall I'm leaning towards the 60cx. Anybody ever made a similar switch from eTrex to this series? Thoughts?

Hi and welcome (back!) to Geocaching! :D

If your original etrex Legend was the translucent Blue "black&white" model then, yep you're in for a TREAT if you get a hold of any current GPSr, technology has marched forward markedly!

The 60CSx is still an awesome unit despite the fact it is an older model. If the form factor is good for you then go for it! However if you liked your old etrex "at all" then you should seriously consider a modern Legend HCx or perhaps even a Vista HCx. The have amazing satellite reception performance expecially compared to your "old Blue" their screens are gorgeous, and the batteries last forever, even longer than the 60CSx.

Either way you're going to be amazed at how good modern GPSr's have become :anicute:

The 60Cx or 60CSx are excellent units but stale from a Geocaching perspective. Many currently available units allow paperless Geocaching and come with maps.

I would take a look at the DeLORME PN-40. It's $249 now and offers paperless Geocaching and comes with maps for the U.S. and Canada in the box with nothing extra to buy.

My previous unit was a 60CSx (and I had a 60CS and eTrex before that) and I'm very pleased with the PN-40. It's an amazing deal at the new price (I paid over $300) as well.

Thanks NordicMan and OpenTrackRacer. Building on what you've said...

I've always liked the form factor of Garmin's rhino shaped units, but that's just me. But if they are outdated for their price then I can happily look at other options.

The Delorme units look pretty cool :D I had no idea you could get a GPS unit with bundled topo maps and a credit to download imagery for around $250. The PN-40 really impresses me because it comes with 500MB onboard memory and can expand up to 32GB via cards. That's amazing to me.

Questions about the PN-40 for anyone who knows:

1. It's WAAS enabled and has "high sensitivity" written in the description. Is this just verbage, or is it really more sensitive than previous versions? (like how the eTrex H models are more sensitive in canopy than their non-H counterparts)

2. The PN-20 is $100 less on Amazon. Storage space seems to be the biggest difference between these two models. I'm not familiar with how much space the maps and imagery take up. If I wanted to get more detailed roads maps uploaded along with the included topo maps, would I need to go with the PN-40, or can I get by with the PN-20?

3. This is sort of subjective, but I'm also curious about the reputation of Delorme units vs Garmin.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks NordicMan and OpenTrackRacer. Building on what you've said...

I've always liked the form factor of Garmin's rhino shaped units, but that's just me. But if they are outdated for their price then I can happily look at other options.

The Delorme units look pretty cool :D I had no idea you could get a GPS unit with bundled topo maps and a credit to download imagery for around $250. The PN-40 really impresses me because it comes with 500MB onboard memory and can expand up to 32GB via cards. That's amazing to me.

Questions about the PN-40 for anyone who knows:

1. It's WAAS enabled and has "high sensitivity" written in the description. Is this just verbage, or is it really more sensitive than previous versions? (like how the eTrex H models are more sensitive in canopy than their non-H counterparts)

2. The PN-20 is $100 less on Amazon. Storage space seems to be the biggest difference between these two models. I'm not familiar with how much space the maps and imagery take up. If I wanted to get more detailed roads maps uploaded along with the included topo maps, would I need to go with the PN-40, or can I get by with the PN-20?

3. This is sort of subjective, but I'm also curious about the reputation of Delorme units vs Garmin.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for the double-post, my browser froze. On last question....

I didn't see in the Delorme product descriptions for either the PN-20 or the PN-40 where they feature paperless caching. But you guys are saying that it does support uploading of gpx or loc files?

Failing that, I have an ipod Touch that I was thinking of using for this purpose. I can upload the files before heading out into the field. Not as nice as in iphone, but just as good as having them on the GPS unit since it is static as well.

The PN-20 is an older model with a much slower processor. I would avoid it unless the price difference between it and the PN-40 is a deal killer.

With the latest release firmware (v2.5) the PN-40 is now fully paperless capable. That includes the full cache info, hints and recent logs. You can transfer caches directly into the unit from the cache page or upload Pocket Queries via Topo 8. The extra $10 for Cache Register is well worth it. It quickly transfers Pocket Queries directly from Geocaching.com (without downloading) into the PN-40. It also allows you to upload field notes and generally manage your Pocket Queries.

With the latest firmware, WAAS locks are much more common for me. The accuracy of my PN-40 has been excellent. I've noticed mine isn't has good as my 60CSx indoors but I really never use it indoors so...

The $30 per year Map Library Subscription is also pretty awesome. You can download unlimited satellite and aerial imagery plus USGS topo maps and NOAA charts. That was the biggest selling point on the PN-40 for me.

The included Topo 8 software is also a big bonus. It allows use off all the maps and imagery on your desktop as well. I've found it to be very useful.

One other thing I didn't mention was routing. The PN-40 has routable road maps included. It's nothing like a Nuvi but it does work.

The DeLORME units have a 30 days money back guarantee so you're not stuck if you decide it's not right for you.

Another PN-40 owner, I love mine too!! Accuracy is top-notch as is the customer service! DeLorme seems to be a very reputable company from everything I have seen, they are more than happy to jump into these forums and help out or post blogs or comments in the DeLorme forums!

I would point out there has been issues with some of the units, looks like a quality control issue which DeLorme has been more than happy to take care of rapidly! I personally have not had an issue with my unit!

Best unit for your money IMHO!

The $30 per year Map Library Subscription is also pretty awesome. You can download unlimited satellite and aerial imagery plus USGS topo maps and NOAA charts. That was the biggest selling point on the PN-40 for me.

Just curious, do you get to keep the downloaded content forever, or does it expire each year until you renew your membership? In other words, lets say I pay for membership in 2009 and download a bunch of stuff, but then I decide not to renew in 2010. Does everything I downloaded become deactivated automatically until I renew?

The included Topo 8 software is also a big bonus. It allows use off all the maps and imagery on your desktop as well. I've found it to be very useful.

I found one on Amazon for about $250, but it lists Topo 7 instead of 8. What differences are there?

The DeLORME units have a 30 days money back guarantee so you're not stuck if you decide it's not right for you.

Good to know.

Just curious, do you get to keep the downloaded content forever, or does it expire each year until you renew your membership? In other words, lets say I pay for membership in 2009 and download a bunch of stuff, but then I decide not to renew in 2010. Does everything I downloaded become deactivated automatically until I renew?

I found one on Amazon for about $250, but it lists Topo 7 instead of 8. What differences are there?

Good to know.

Yours to keep!! :D

Likely, it'll ship with TOPO 8, all new orders I've heard reported here have shipped with TOPO 8! If it doens't, you'll get to upgrade for another $10, but I truly believe it will ship with the upgraded maps in the box!

Yes, it's a great policy!

But if they are outdated for their price then I can happily look at other options

The idea that the 60CSX is outdated is absurd. It uses the Siirf 3 chipset which is still the gold standard among hand held units.

I have a 60CSX and a PN40 and though the DeLorme gives you a lot of bang for the buck. I like the map detail, and the 3 axis compass but it pales in comparison with the 60CSX performance wise. The PN 40's reception doesn't come close to the 60CSX. I use my PN40 for geocaching because if its nifty paperless caching feature, but I find that I have to bring my 60CSX along too for those times that the DeLorme can't hold a sat lock.

Here are track logs using both units simultaneously on a 6 mile hike, with no leaves on the trees...

DeLorme

Delormetrack.jpg

60CSX

Garmin.jpg

'nuff said

But if they are outdated for their price then I can happily look at other options

The idea that the 60CSX is outdated is absurd. It uses the Siirf 3 chipset which is still the gold standard among hand held units.

I have a 60CSX and a PN40 and though the DeLorme gives you a lot of bang for the buck. I like the map detail, and the 3 axis compass but it pales in comparison with the 60CSX performance wise. The PN 40's reception doesn't come close to the 60CSX. I use my PN40 for geocaching because if its nifty paperless caching feature, but I find that I have to bring my 60CSX along too for those times that the DeLorme can't hold a sat lock.

Here are track logs using both units simultaneously on a 6 mile hike, with no leaves on the trees...

DeLorme

Delormetrack.jpg

60CSX

Garmin.jpg

'nuff said

Brian, aren't those some old pictures there? I saw those about a month or two ago during another debate about reception, I believe it was before the recent updates which have addressed these issues quite nicely! Please, give up-to-date info when comparing, this info is misleading!

Many (as in a very good share) have reported the PN to be VERY accurate and to hold great reception, there are a few exceptions (I think this goes to a QC issue or, as in this case, outdated info), but the PN has been touted as a frontrunner in this area!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

My inventory is a Vista HCx, 60CSx and a PN-40.

If I lost them all due to some unfortunate event, I would buy the Delorme again.

I didn't always feel this way, but with the updates, Caceh register and customer service I received from them, it would be a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, the 60 and Vista are GREAT units, but the 40 (IMHO) has them beat right now.

I know less than nothing about the Colorodo and Oregon as well as Maggi's, so I shall not opin there.

And the way I cache, I would't consider taking a I touch, Iphone or other delicate electronics with me. My cell stays in a dry bag 'till I'm out.

JM.02W

PP

Man, just when I thought my mind was made up :(

Thanks for the comparison tracks, briansnat. If the issues have in fact been addressed then I'd be interested to see some current captures with an updated unit. I assume it's just a matter of updating the firmware?

My inventory is a Vista HCx, 60CSx and a PN-40.

If I lost them all due to some unfortunate event, I would buy the Delorme again.

I didn't always feel this way, but with the updates, Caceh register and customer service I received from them, it would be a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, the 60 and Vista are GREAT units, but the 40 (IMHO) has them beat right now.

I know less than nothing about the Colorodo and Oregon as well as Maggi's, so I shall not opin there.

And the way I cache, I would't consider taking a I touch, Iphone or other delicate electronics with me. My cell stays in a dry bag 'till I'm out.

JM.02W

PP

Thanks for the feedback on this. I really like the PN-40, but I'm also wary and eager for more specifics on its performance. The 60cx is a proven performer so I've got less questions about it. I have to agree though, I'd rather not have to take my iPod Touch into the field with me.

When you say your PN-40 has them beat, do mean in terms of the convenience of paperless caching, or do you mean in terms of holding a signal?

Also, I'm still not clear on how Delorme's 32-channel receiver compares with Garmin's "high-sensitivity" receiver.

Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this. I have a bad habit of agonizing over puchases like this when there's not a clear leader. I'm really stuck. The paperless caching of the PN-40 plus all the other map content options is very appealing, but I gotta be sure it'll peform differently than briansnat's screenshots.

I'm not sure if Brian's tracks are old or new. With my PN-40 and current firmware I personally have had no issues. If you're using the GPS to map trails or datalog then the 60CSx will tend to be better due to it's track settings and antenna type.

The 60CSx does indeed have a top notch receiver and antenna. It's not outdated. The rest of it's capabilities with regard to maps and geocaching are indeed behind the times. You can pay to have better maps but paperless geocaching is out of reach.

The only other thing I can really add is to say again that I replaced my 60CSx with a PN-40 and I'm pleased with that change.

Brian, aren't those some old pictures there? I saw those about a month or two ago during another debate about reception, I believe it was before the recent updates which have addressed these issues quite nicely! Please, give up-to-date info when comparing, this info is misleading!

I forget whether those tracks were taken with the old firmware or new. I brought my unit right about the time the latest firmware was in beta and I don't recall if I had it on the unit on that trip. However I've had the I've had the identical experience with 2.5. It's very frustrating because I really want to like this unit so I can retire my 60CSX, but there is no way I can with the substandard reception in the PN40. Believe me if the PN40 was as good as advertised I'd be among you fanboys, but it ain't so I ain't.