How to become a volunteer cache reviewer

kawzone

I have more finds and hides than the reviewer in my area

You may well have more finds and hides than the account which your reviewer uses when reviewing, but I would bet a large part of my (non-reviewer) pay check that you don't have anything like the numbers that on the account which they use when they're out caching. :laughing:

However, "it's not (just) about the numbers". Reviewers need other qualities, which are outlined here.

See the link riviouveur posted, but mostly build a history and reputation of being a benefit to the caching community.

Once you appear on their radar your relationships in your caching community, your history of forum posts, your activities in the game and so forth will be looked at, notable cachers who know you may be quietly asked for their opinions of you, and when they need someone they'll come looking for you.

Asking to become a Reviewer is a sure-fire way NOT to become one, because it leaves the impression that you likely have an agenda which you wish to pursue with that role!

I have more finds and hides than the reviewer in my area.. how can i volunteer for this position..

-thanks

kawzone

954CACHERS!!!

Noble that you want to help out. You can help out in many ways, including helping here in the forums.

The 12 "found" by your reviewer, Crow T Robot, are all event caches attended. He/she has been a member (on that account) since 2003. I think that its pretty clear that is a reviewer's account, and not a caching account.

I'm not a reviewer, but I've seen one on TV. From an outside perspective, the best leaders are not the ones who want to become leaders. My experience in the world of construction (even church) has shown that people who desire to lead; a crew, a team, a project, usually do so for the wrong reasons and get caught up in the "it's all about me" mentality - although from their perspective, that's not the case. I've watched managers above me and below come and go through the years. The good ones come along every so often, the great ones are rare.

The good ones have developed a solid reputation for being honest, ethical, having a high moral standard, and putting the focus on others and their achievements. They stand out as pillars in their community (although they don't think so). I can't see being a reviewer as any different.

As for me? I'm trying to focus on the great. It's all about personal growth.

Someone once told me "being selfless is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less".

More than my 2 cents, maybe a buck and a half.

You already destroyed your chances by asking .... rule number one is that you cannot ask........

:anicute::D

Seriously,

Be a good guy, bulid a community reputation, host events, attend events, help people, find caches, hide caches, be helpful to others, demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the guidelines. One day - you may get the call..........

You already destroyed your chances by asking .... rule number one is that you cannot ask........

:):D

But by not asking, in proxy you are asking. Therefore one can assume by not asking you have ruined your chances of asking altogether as well.

:D:anicute:

I'll shut up now. Just bored at work for once.

I have been geocaching for a while now and love it so much I wanna help out.. I have more finds and hides than the reviewer in my area.. how can i volunteer for this position..

-thanks

kawzone

954CACHERS!!!

Live a life of caching purity. Toot your horn just loud enough to get noticed but not so lout that people think you are trying to be noticed. Then when the powers that be decide they need another reviewer and ask, ask your local reviewer (or whoever else they ask) about candidates you may be someone who was noticed and reccomended.

To become a reviewer you have to solve this riddle:

If an ammo can is in the forest, but no one finds it, does it exist?

Yes.

Since the first part of the riddle states that it IS in the forest, it must exist. If it did not exist, it could not be in the forest.

Note: just because I answered the riddle, it does not mean that I am asking to be a reviewer.

It's like Mary Kay and Avon and all that. You need to get in on the ground floor. You're too late dude.

Actually, if you wouldn't mind coming to a meeting on Thursday night where I will explain to you how, for only a minimal investment and a small amount of effort on your part (and taking advantage of your friends and family, of course) you too can become a volunteer reviewer. Please bring your checkbook.

Yes.

Since the first part of the riddle states that it IS in the forest, it must exist. If it did not exist, it could not be in the forest.

Note: just because I answered the riddle, it does not mean that I am asking to be a reviewer.

Good that you are not interested, by answering the riddle you have in fact expressed interest or asked and have therefore been removed from consideration. By stating your non desire to become a reviewer, you have in fact not asked. But as I tried to explain before, by not asking, your are in fact asking therby making you ineligible to become a reviewer. :D

Look, this is very easy. Those who ask are ineligible but by not asking you are in fact asking when you have been asked not to ask. By not answering the riddle you have expressed interest in not asking, you have asked to take yourself out of the running for being asked. If you answered the riddle, you have asked to be asked when asking is clearly off limits. :anicute:

Next thing you know, you get asked to be a reviewer, which being asked to review negates the not asking clause of the reviewer mandate, eliminating the need for the riddle that you cannot ask to solve for the above mentioned prohibition on asking. But since you didn't ask, you didn't express interest and would not have seen the riddle in the first place. :)

And the correct answere is No, the ammo can is really a 35mm film canister that someone placed and marked size unknown. We all know that, but didn't ask because then we'd be asked to become a reviewer..

Clearer now?

Yes.

Good that you are not interested, by answering the riddle you have in fact expressed interest or asked and have therefore been removed from consideration. By stating your non desire to become a reviewer, you have in fact not asked. But as I tried to explain before, by not asking, your are in fact asking therby making you ineligible to become a reviewer. :D

Look, this is very easy. Those who ask are ineligible but by not asking you are in fact asking when you have been asked not to ask. By not answering the riddle you have expressed interest in not asking, you have asked to take yourself out of the running for being asked. If you answered the riddle, you have asked to be asked when asking is clearly off limits. :anicute:

Next thing you know, you get asked to be a reviewer, which being asked to review negates the not asking clause of the reviewer mandate, eliminating the need for the riddle that you cannot ask to solve for the above mentioned prohibition on asking. But since you didn't ask, you didn't express interest and would not have seen the riddle in the first place. :)

And the correct answere is No, the ammo can is really a 35mm film canister that someone placed and marked size unknown. We all know that, but didn't ask because then we'd be asked to become a reviewer..

Clearer now?

And the second is "Never get into a land war in Asia!"

- To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to review caches are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made a volunteer cache reviewer should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem. (Blatantly ripped from Douglas Adams by Snoogans time and again)

:):(:(:D

I have been geocaching for a while now and love it so much I wanna help out.. I have more finds and hides than the reviewer in my area.. how can i volunteer for this position..

-thanks

kawzone

954CACHERS!!!

The next time you think you want to be a reviewer try this. Find a hammer and hit yourself in the head with it 10 times. The experience will be the same as being a reviewer and you'll save yourself a lot of money on the Alka-Seltzer.

It's like Mary Kay and Avon and all that. You need to get in on the ground floor. You're too late dude.

Not necessarily. I happened to notice that a brand-new reviewer started in my area just this week. Or else a smelly old reviewer got a brand-new reviewer account. Or puppymonster had another sock puppy. Edited by J-Way

Yes.

Sorry, that's not correct. The question is whether or not the forest exists. :(

someone found it BEFORE it was placed in the forrest (to place it in the forrest), so therefore, yes, it does exist.... thank you, thank you, thank you vury much.....

:(:(

Seriously,

Be a good guy, bulid a community reputation, host events, attend events, help people, find caches, hide caches, be helpful to others, demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the guidelines. One day - you may get the call..........

WOW sorry for wanting to help improve our caching community... Ya know I was always taught that no question is a bad question and the only bad question is the one unasked.. wow i never would have thought i would be a part of a community that doesn't want to help each other out.. the cachers i have met down here in florida and around the world have been real polite and respectful people.. sorry to ask a question in this community.. i will stick to my friends.. this is what our community need to grow and be prosperous trite people.. haha...

:(:(

Seriously,

WOW sorry for wanting to help improve our caching community... Ya know I was always taught that no question is a bad question and the only bad question is the one unasked.. wow i never would have thought i would be a part of a community that doesn't want to help each other out.. the cachers i have met down here in florida and around the world have been real polite and respectful people.. sorry to ask a question in this community.. i will stick to my friends.. this is what our community need to grow and be prosperous trite people.. haha...

With some of the other active threads getting rather heated, I think most of us have gotten a little punchy. Pleasee don't mistake that for being trite, the first number of responses for the most part were right on. I think there may be a law of forum length that should state:

The longer a thread posts is directly inverse to the quality of logs posted. Some simply degrade faster than others.

Guilty here as the king of digressing

There are some questions that are asked so frequently that they get answered in the Frequently Asked Questions thread permanently pinned in the Getting Started section. In this case the answer is a link to another resource, the Groundspeak Knowledge Base, which is linked to in the start of the FAQ thread as well as from the Resources page on Geocaching.com. Not everyone knows where these resources are, so they might start a new thread and really the community should just point the person to resources with the answer instead of getting snarky. It is hard to tell out if a person who is asking about becoming a volunteer review is just curious about how the reviewers are chosen or are just looking for ways they can help out. But if they are asking because they think they have what it takes to be a reviewer and yet they don't know about the FAQ or the Knowledge Base perhaps you can understand why some veteran forum users are so hard on them.

Dude, it's a joke. Take it easy.

Sort of related, I think some reviewers get a whole lot of crap, so a thick skin is one necessary attribute.

Unrelated, every time I hear someone say "there's no such thing as a bad / stupid question", someone else will set out to prove him wrong. And succeed.

Even more unrelated (but related to my previous point) : if I know that asking kills my chances, and yet I ask anyway, then I'm asking not to be a reviewer, so that makes me eligible. Is that the same as not asking? Or better?

A perfect example of why so few get chosen! :)

Dude, it's a joke. Take it easy.

Sort of related, I think some reviewers get a whole lot of crap, so a thick skin is one necessary attribute.

Unrelated, every time I hear someone say "there's no such thing as a bad / stupid question", someone else will set out to prove him wrong. And succeed.

Even more unrelated (but related to my previous point) : if I know that asking kills my chances, and yet I ask anyway, then I'm asking not to be a reviewer, so that makes me eligible. Is that the same as not asking? Or better?

Yeah I hope you're still reading this. People are just messing around. You pretty much need to recommended by an existing reviewer. You must be well known. Attend events, host events, become active in your local or State wide Geocaching organizations. You can even become well known to people who've never met you through your find logs. I know I have that one covered. :)

Wow, this is sort of like 2 negatives making a positive but on a different level. It's cold and rainy here today, and my mind isn't thinking logically like that yet. :)

You start out as a volunteer cache reveiwer trainee. You fill your mouth up with marbles. Each time somebody whines about the cache you turned down just because it didn't meet the guidelines that they acknowledged they read and agreed to abide by, you spit out one marble. Once you've lost all your marbles, you're a volunteer cache reviewer.