Refreshment

On Sunday, I was out for a walk with a group of friends in Germany, just above the village of Ottenhöfen in the Black Forest. This village has a lot of places which make their own schnapps, and there's a well-developed "honour bar" system where you can turn up at the house at any time and pay $1 or so for a small glass of any one of their varieties, while sitting outside - no need to disturb the owner unless you want to buy a bottle.

The walk took us to the forest 1,500 feet above the village. I was pleased that we took this route because it enabled me to find two slightly unusual caches which had been on my "to-do" list for some time. Between the two caches, we came across an extension of the honour bar system from the village: a kiosk in the middle of the forest with crates of soda and beer - cooled by running water from a nearby stream - and bottles of schnapps to try.

See the photos on this log (not by me, and it's not me in the photos) for an idea of the place. The tall bottles at the back are not fruit juice but schnapps. We took two Cokes, one Fanta, and a Kirschwasser (85 proof, down in one, cheers), and left 5 Euros ($6.50) in the box.

what makes whoever put that up think that no one is going to steal any of the drinks?

This is Germany. People are disciplined. But not so disciplined that the money box can be opened, or removed from the wall :anicute:

If I ever branch out into Geo-Tourism, I will organise visits to Ottenhöfen, and especially the multi nearby which takes you past seven (count 'em) Schnapps distillers. If you upload a picture of you drinking a shot at each one, you get some kind of binus (or maybe just a hangover :D).

what makes whoever put that up think that no one is going to steal any of the drinks?

This is Germany. People are disciplined. But not so disciplined that the money box can be opened, or removed from the wall :(

If I ever branch out into Geo-Tourism, I will organise visits to Ottenhöfen, and especially the multi nearby which takes you past seven (count 'em) Schnapps distillers. If you upload a picture of you drinking a shot at each one, you get some kind of binus (or maybe just a hangover :().

whats a binus?

and i wouldn't do that multi, i don't drink

This is Germany. People are disciplined. But not so disciplined that the money box can be opened, or removed from the wall :(

If I ever branch out into Geo-Tourism, I will organise visits to Ottenhöfen, and especially the multi nearby which takes you past seven (count 'em) Schnapps distillers. If you upload a picture of you drinking a shot at each one, you get some kind of binus (or maybe just a hangover :().

I think the lack of 18v sawzalls is what keeps this safe. I think it's really cool though!!! I might try something like this locally (sans alcohol of course) as a novelty thing. When it gets hijacked it will likely die. Of course this may be wishful thinking as I haven't even been able to go geo-caching in over 4 weeks due to my work.

i love this idea. i like to see unusual thing like this work out. i wish that this could happen in other parts of the world like in the uk, but sadly we have a culture of young idiots that would love to steal or just trash the things just for mindless fun.

Self serve farm stands are quite common in many parts of the rural NorthEast US. A couple of weeks ago I bought some honey and maple syrup from a self serve farm stand near Lancaster, PA. I even had to make change for a $10 bill from the coffee can. I saw a couple of self serve strawberry stand along a major road on the way to where I am at now (Owls Head, Maine). I see self serve farm stands all the time in the rural areas around Ithaca, NY.

This is refreshing to see.

It is wonderful to live where such trust can occur. Altho it is likely some pilferage would occur here (as it would anywhere most likely...), for the most part this would work here. Our hospital cafeteria functions on the honor system for hours outside of lunch hour.

Thanks for the post!