Is it just me, or is hiding caches more fun then finding them?

I don't know why. But I love finding places for caches and trying to hide them. Then watching other people enjoy the thing I hid is a really great experience for me. It's more fun the actually finding caches myself.

Am I alone?

You aren't alone but you are in a minority....and a sick puppy to boot.

Get help.

~LOL~

Just kidding

I don't know why. But I love finding places for caches and trying to hide them. Then watching other people enjoy the thing I hid is a really great experience for me. It's more fun the actually finding caches myself.

Am I alone?

I'm with you. I enjoy the creating and hiding more than the finding, but MsKitty enjoys the finding more, so we make a good team.

BC

I am with you except I shoot for half DNF's. Am I evil? I like thinking about devious and interesting hides.

Some would accept your challenge with open arms but not me.

There is someone near me hiding caches and misleading about the difficulty. After finding one of four of his caches, coming up blank on the other 3 I searched for, I removed his caches from my searches.

I will do that with anyone who thinks its fun to skunk people.

JMO

i like to make hard hides, but ultimately i want people to find the caches. i want them to beat their head for a little while and then go "ahhhhhh".

why?

'coz that's what i like to find.

the rest of my caches are easy.

why?

'coz i like easy caches too.

i do not want to prove that i am more devious than other people, nor do i like strings of DNFs.

Edited by flask

I am with you except I shoot for half DNF's. Am I evil? I like thinking about devious and interesting hides.

There is someone near me hiding caches and misleading about the difficulty. After finding one of four of his caches, coming up blank on the other 3 I searched for, I removed his caches from my searches.

JMO

I rate them all appropriately. If i didn't, that would be wrong!

JMO

Suit yourself, but I just had a weekend with about 70% DNFs on one person's hides. Yeah, 80% on Saturday, back again on Sunday to find 2 of those, but still got several more DNF's. And I'll be back. IMHO, they were under-rated in difficulty, and I emailed the owner (the infamous Bobcam) who agreed with me and raised the difficulty rating. But challenging caches are what helps you expand your own horizons.

If I'd let failure stop me, I wouldn't be walking or talking today, much less riding a bicycle.

I really enjoy hiding. I spend a lot of time just going to different places and thinking about what I can hide there. I like to spend time creating containers to blend in with their surroundings, but I want people to find the cash relatively easily. I really enjoy reading the logs that people write about their experience that day caching. I'm still really new at all this, but love every minute of it. :laughing:

JMO

I'm with you on this one. I want people to enjoy the place where I hide and have a good experience somewhere they might not usually go, not be pissed because it is stupid hard.

Here is my goal with hiding (though I have yet to hide my first one).

I want it to be FUN as a main priority but I get a kick out of finding something hiding almost in plain sight while people randomly walk by.

To date, the best cache I have found was in plain sight and I looked for it for 20 minutes. I laughed because there were probably 1000 people walking past it every day.

I would want my caches to be found by geocachers but passed by muggles.

JMO

'Hiding' is something I've been wanting to do for quite a while now. I even have a container and a logbook to sign all ready to go.

I just have no where to place the container yet.

I did have an area I wanted to hide it (w/ permission of course) but unfortunately for the time being that area has been locked off from public use due to river issues. I look forward to being able to place my first hide though, wherever it will be.

I actually hid two today and I also shoot for dnf's. I actually like hiding them more because its like art and you get to share your art with the world.

When I do come across a interesting or very hard cache hide I do love finding them.

Yup, there's nothing quite as fun as wasting someone elses time.

I guess my stats speak for themselves.....I have more finds than hides so I guess I enjoy finding more. I only have three hides (one is now archived) but I am enjoying coming up with hiding spots and ideas. The maintaining of caches is what sucks because cachers aren't very "gentle" in their search techniques.

Well, I love finding them too, but I got to tell ya ...my first two hides were "published" this morning and I'm like a little kid at Christmas time!! I'm sure it will be a while before anyone finds them, but I am soooo excited to even get them published!!! (Yes, I'm new...this kind of stuff thrills me!!)

Am I alone?

I like hiding + hosting and attending events wayyy more than finding.

Here are a few of my locations:

81246ee8-c61c-49b7-876f-76088249a262.jpg

The Monoville "Hunters" Cache

66f1ba4b-c5b7-4a2a-8f3f-5c609c24aa04.jpg

A Claustrophobic's Nightmare/Just Say NO to Crack

ba5f9911-6ce7-4d8f-8b1d-7d4eca5f2c2c.jpg

Ode to Ranboze and bthomas

3918340a-d43b-406a-ad03-d679947d7241.jpg

Hardcore Sunrise or Sunset

af2c120f-ee1d-4804-8a1e-ba7f3d37964b.jpg

61356fc3-f133-4673-9e72-e7c30ab536bc.jpg

The Hidden Dragon

3a1229b0-1b57-4eb1-ad65-0edc7b4a695d.jpg

Tough Nuts in the "House of the Devil"

9411623e-cbe8-438f-b66b-8bf864974019.jpg

Fortress of Solitude

67e2ea14-4429-40ea-9fac-05c2df6da238.jpg

The FrogStar (West)

I love hiding caches that other cachers enjoy. Found it logs like this make it all worthwhile:

Feb. 2007 is way too long for a cache not to have visitors so I took nothing but left a travel bug and a very cool Joint Strike Fighter F-35 coin for the first new geocacher to solve the puzzle and find the cache. I hope I am not overstepping what I am permitted to do but it might get a geocacher out of the 1/1 rut.

Anyway, thank you again Kit Fox for the puzzle and cache. I hope when I start putting out my own caches, I can make them as interesting for you as yours are for me.

Finally, cache three (GCZD42 GCRN4 GCV8GV all kit Fox) of my power caching day! It's sad that it's over since it was such a good time combining all three into one adventure. This is the only way to power cache....Backcountry!! I departed cache GCRNF4, Inner Struggle, and ascended the closest spur leading to the ridge and it was a whopper! This is the type of caching I lay and wait for, awesome! If it's one thing I want is to have the feeling that I physicaly earned a cache find, and I have to say, with this one, I did. Just beautiful scenery all the way around all the way up and at the cache location.

Thank you Kit Fox!!!!

1845 hours (# 1000 # Yes Yes Yes!!!

The sun had dropped below the western ridge, and darkness was falling fast in the Big Rock valley. The great horned owl was waiting... We could not hear him beckon, but we knew he was there. We arrived at the starting point and discovered the clue for where to continue our search. With trepidation, we set out across the rocky gorge, our lights at the ready to catch a glimpse of the great beast. The path was well marked, yet not easy to follow. But, the wiley Fox aided us as we navigated the way. Before we knew it, we were upon him! The Wise One blinked in amusement but said nothing as we plundered the cache. We dropped a geocoin, took another, discovered the Green Jeep, then stood still to relish the silence and the solitude of this place.

And oh, yeah - WE WERE FIRST TO FIND!!! OH YEAH!!!

Thanks to Kit Fox for verifying coordinates as we solved the puzzle and made a couple of attempts at this cool cache. And also a big thanks to Bill for bringing his family out to help us celebrate my 1000th find! TickBait, Megan, and Andrea came with me on this one, too, and ANavigator4U (Rob) my usual caching partner was with us in spirit.

This cache is best done at night, and best done in groups of three, or better still five or more!!! it is defininitely worth the trip! If you get stuck on the puzzle, just email Kit Fox for help, or just email for confirmation. You outdid yourself this time, Bill! Thanks for a great time!

TheFisherman (newest memeber of the Millenium Club!!!)

Edited by Kit Fox

A friend of mine likes to point out that hiding caches is half the game. He sometimes wonders about people with a thousand finds, but only one cache placement.

I like to hide caches that I would enjoy finding -- for me, that means the location is everything and that if you go to the trouble of visiting a place I have chosen, you should have a good chance at finding the cache.