Newbie 'cacher looking for GPS advice

Hi all,

I recently bought a Garmin nuvi 255wt, and through the online registration process learned about geocaching. I like the outdoors, and I've gone on two searches so far with my nuvi, but I'm afraid it's going to get beat up.

Since I already have the GPS for my car, I'm looking to get something sturdier for strictly geocaching. My biggest want is paperless functionality.

I've looked at both the Colorado and the Oregon, but both are a bit out of my price range. Is the Vista or Legend HCx able to be used as a paperless device? Is there a different model I should consider? I'm trying to keep the cost at $200 USD or less.

Thanks for any help!

Hi all,

I recently bought a Garmin nuvi 255wt, and through the online registration process learned about geocaching. I like the outdoors, and I've gone on two searches so far with my nuvi, but I'm afraid it's going to get beat up.

Since I already have the GPS for my car, I'm looking to get something sturdier for strictly geocaching. My biggest want is paperless functionality.

I've looked at both the Colorado and the Oregon, but both are a bit out of my price range. Is the Vista or Legend HCx able to be used as a paperless device? Is there a different model I should consider? I'm trying to keep the cost at $200 USD or less.

Thanks for any help!

For out of the box true paperless Geocaching and under $200 - you have two choices - 1 the Delorme PN-20 or 2 the Lowrance Endura Out&back.

The PN20 is a very capable unit but is a bit slow on certain screen redraws. Also requires some extra software for the best Geocaching and not nice on batteries use but a very nice price point. Second to none for mapping capabilities. I don't much like them but Delorme has drawn some very rabid fans.

The Lowrance Endura looks to be a very very nice unit but isn't out yeat and no reviews yet - so will have o wait a bit to see how it turns out.

Hi all,

Is the Vista or Legend HCx able to be used as a paperless device?

No, not out of the box. May be possible if you buy some other stuff.

Hi all,

...... Is there a different model I should consider? I'm trying to keep the cost at $200 USD or less.

Thanks for any help!

Too easy:

http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-Earthmate-PN...C/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Everthing in the box, or available from DeLorme, so there is no third party stuff to buy.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

They added the geocaching rework to the PN-20 firmware too?

To the OP - What other devices do you have? Do you happen to have a PDA of any sort?

It's going to be hard to find a good all-in-one solution in your budget range, but if you happen to have a Palm or Windows Mobile device you can probably use it in combination with one of the newer eTrex units. Also, you might be able to score an older Palm dirt cheap on eBay that will be more than sufficient for paperless work. Even the old black-and-white Palms are good for going paperless - All of my finds prior to 2004 or so were with a Garmin eMap + Palm combination.

Like one of the other posters, I've had bad experiences with DeLorme handheld products (their PC-based products are excellent). I tried for a long time to give them the benefit of the doubt (rooting for the underdog), but after my disappointments with Street Atlas Handheld 2006 and 2009, the PN-40, and my father's disappointment with the PN-20, I've returned to Garmin (especially since Garmin has addressed all of the issues that caused me to move away from them in the first place.)

One possibility is the upcoming Garmin Dakota series. Price point and exact feature set are still unknown - some rumors say it'll replace the eTrex line, others say it'll replace something in the personal fitness line, so far all the data I've seen indicates that it's a mini-Oregon with a smaller screen at a lower price. It appears that it will have the Oregon's paperless geocaching features, which are stellar and the best paperless experience I've ever had.

I have a Nuvi 205 that I use to go paperless, and the very basic garmin e trex h when I get to the location.

here is a link that will walk you through using the nuvi to go paperless. http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Paperless geocache with Nuvi

You can use the nuvi for the easy park and grabs. My daughter likes the nuvi on the trail because it has all of the notes, and it has gotten her close enough to find most hides. I like the E trex because it gives you the heading and distance, and doesn't mind trees as much and is more accurate. Having both pieces is kind of nice. over all I have less than $200 into the cost of both combined.

We started caching with a Delorme PN-20. Was so familiar with the Delorme mapping programs and wanted to keep that functionality. After a couple of years of caching, we moved up to the PN-40. Delorme has continued to improve and update the PN-20 and PN-40 in both firmware updates and functionality. We do TOTALLY paperless caching now and it is a breeze. All verbiage, hints and logs are downloaded to the GPS unit. You can route and find POIs as you go if you like. Once you are home, you can upload your fieldnotes showing your finds, not finds, etc. You can download PQs or individual GCs directly to the device.

I love the PN-40 and still have the PN-20 for when we want to take 2 units. They are waterproof. Small enough, but big enough too.

They added the geocaching rework to the PN-20 firmware too?

To the OP - What other devices do you have? Do you happen to have a PDA of any sort?

I have an IPod Touch 2nd Gen. I also have an old Handspring Visor PDA just gathering dust.

It's going to be hard to find a good all-in-one solution in your budget range, but if you happen to have a Palm or Windows Mobile device you can probably use it in combination with one of the newer eTrex units. Also, you might be able to score an older Palm dirt cheap on eBay that will be more than sufficient for paperless work. Even the old black-and-white Palms are good for going paperless - All of my finds prior to 2004 or so were with a Garmin eMap + Palm combination.

I hadn't considered doing this, and it sounds like a good alternative for the interim. I'm sure there's a specific part of the FAQ that would help me get started using a Palm/Touch as a paperless device. Anyone have a quick link they can post?

Like one of the other posters, I've had bad experiences with DeLorme handheld products (their PC-based products are excellent). I tried for a long time to give them the benefit of the doubt (rooting for the underdog), but after my disappointments with Street Atlas Handheld 2006 and 2009, the PN-40, and my father's disappointment with the PN-20, I've returned to Garmin (especially since Garmin has addressed all of the issues that caused me to move away from them in the first place.)

One possibility is the upcoming Garmin Dakota series. Price point and exact feature set are still unknown - some rumors say it'll replace the eTrex line, others say it'll replace something in the personal fitness line, so far all the data I've seen indicates that it's a mini-Oregon with a smaller screen at a lower price. It appears that it will have the Oregon's paperless geocaching features, which are stellar and the best paperless experience I've ever had.

I'll look into the Dakota and see how far away from production it is. But I like the nuvi/PDA combo for now as a good starter setup.

I have a Nuvi 205 that I use to go paperless, and the very basic garmin e trex h when I get to the location.

here is a link that will walk you through using the nuvi to go paperless. http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Paperless geocache with Nuvi

You can use the nuvi for the easy park and grabs. My daughter likes the nuvi on the trail because it has all of the notes, and it has gotten her close enough to find most hides. I like the E trex because it gives you the heading and distance, and doesn't mind trees as much and is more accurate. Having both pieces is kind of nice. over all I have less than $200 into the cost of both combined.

That's awesome! Thanks for that Carlos! I'll definitely be using this for the nuvi, and the suggestion about using a lower priced model for taking out of the car for the last bit of the trek is good as well. As I said, I'm leery about destroying the nuvi, and I think I can find a good combo out of all the suggestions here to make something workable until I can afford an all-in-one solution like the Oregon or Colorado.

Thanks so far for all the recommendations everyone!

I have an IPod Touch 2nd Gen. I also have an old Handspring Visor PDA just gathering dust.

Does anyone know if gc.com's iPhone app will work on the Touch in an "offline mode"? (download caches in advance and view summaries, but no GPS). Not sure if there's a way to load a set of HTML pages to the iTouch for offline browsing.

As my ex who just moved to Denver is interested in geocaching and owns and iTouch, this might be a good solution for her to go paperless with a basic Garmin (like an eTrex) if it can be done.

Hi all,

Hi all,

...... Is there a different model I should consider? I'm trying to keep the cost at $200 USD or less.

Thanks for any help!

Too easy:

Everthing in the box, or available from DeLorme, so there is no third party stuff to buy.

Is that Delorme really a good deal. The GF and I am looking for something but know really nothing about GPS. Can that PN20 download all the cache info?

Does anyone know if gc.com's iPhone app will work on the Touch in an "offline mode"? (download caches in advance and view summaries, but no GPS). Not sure if there's a way to load a set of HTML pages to the iTouch for offline browsing.

As my ex who just moved to Denver is interested in geocaching and owns and iTouch, this might be a good solution for her to go paperless with a basic Garmin (like an eTrex) if it can be done.

I just downloaded the app to my touch last night. Yes it will work in an offline mode if you save the cache info in advance. I think I'm going to try to get my visor working so that I don't have to carry my touch into the field. What program should I be looking at for the visor? It uses the Palm OS.

I just downloaded the app to my touch last night. Yes it will work in an offline mode if you save the cache info in advance. I think I'm going to try to get my visor working so that I don't have to carry my touch into the field. What program should I be looking at for the visor? It uses the Palm OS.

I used to use two programs:

GPX Spinner (http://www.gpxspinner.com/) can take a GPX file and convert it into a set of static HTML pages on my hard drive

Then I used Plucker to convert that package of HTML pages into a Plucker document, which I could read using Plucker on the PDA (Kyocera 6035 or Treo 600, I never cached with my 650 although the same solution should have worked). Unfortunately, based on the last update of their news page, Plucker appears somewhat dead. There may be similar packages available, or the latest version of Plucker should do the trick even though it hasn't had a release in a few years on a Visor.

I used to use two programs:

GPX Spinner (http://www.gpxspinner.com/) can take a GPX file and convert it into a set of static HTML pages on my hard drive

Then I used Plucker to convert that package of HTML pages into a Plucker document, which I could read using Plucker on the PDA (Kyocera 6035 or Treo 600, I never cached with my 650 although the same solution should have worked). Unfortunately, based on the last update of their news page, Plucker appears somewhat dead. There may be similar packages available, or the latest version of Plucker should do the trick even though it hasn't had a release in a few years on a Visor.

Thanks Entropy I'll give it a shot. Now I just have to find my docking cradle lol

Hi all,

Thanks for any help!

Well I'm a lowly cacher but I'll give my solution to paperless cacheing anyway. I have a Garmin venture HCx (or something like that...) and I started off with my GPSr and paper. I've always carried a Palm phone so I jumped on to the Cachemate bandwagon. I purchased GSAK as well. Prior to this I was loading GC's one at a time, going to the cache page and clicking on Send to GPS. GSAK allowed for wholesale sending of coords to the GPS and wholesale sending of the same caches to my phone.

I've dealt with two devices for my entire cache life... until last week. The GSAK boards has a macro for loading the very important parts of the cache page directly into the Garmin. Now to be honest, I don't like how many screens or waypoints are taken up with the "cache info" but it suffices for an all in one paperless solution, and I trust it will be improved with time. Truth be told though, I don't go anywhere without my phone so I still have 2 devices with me on the trail so I was/am happy with Cachemate.

My added costs over and above the hand held GPS and phone were:

Cachemate

GSAK

gpsbabel should also be able to "massload" waypoints into a GPS, although it won't do the trick that GSAK does with the macro.

I should look into whether I can dupe the gpsbabel macro with some Perl. A friend is likely going to be purchasing an eTrex soon.

Edited by Entropy512

Hi all,

Hi all,

Thanks for any help!

Too easy:

Is that Delorme really a good deal. The GF and I am looking for something but know really nothing about GPS. Can that PN20 download all the cache info?

All the cache info including the notes, hints, all the icons seen on the cache page...it's pretty much the cache page minus pictures and such! You even get the TBs in the cache! Not onlythat, but you can also upload the field notes from the PN, it keeps track of your finds and lists them in order for you so all you need to do is click the field note, add your thoughts and post the find! It'll keep the info for you so you don't have to wory about taking ANY notes at all!!

A great deal...as is the PN-40!!