Geocoin in unpublished cache

Hi

I might be overlooking something very simple here...but can someone explain to me how one of our geocoins has been placed in a cache in Israel that hasnt been published yet ?

I received notification that our North West geocoin had been removed from one cache in Israel about a month ago and was placed into another cache also in Israel on 6th June..however when I go to the link to this cache, GC site tells me an error has occured and that I cannot view this cache until it is published. Has anyone had a similar problem ?

Many thanks

It probably just means that whoever has the coin has submitted a brand new cache for publication and they've dropped your coin into the cache. Hopefully all will be well and within a few days you'll see the cache get published, with your coin appearing on the cache inventory.

If it's still unpublished in a week or so you might need to ask the previous holder of the coin what's happening with it.

(Some would say that it would have been better 'caching etiquette' to wait for the new cache to be published before dropping your coin into it... )

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Here's the listed co-ords for the unpublished cache: (decimal degrees)

32.7766, 35.023617

That won't help you at all though as it could be a Puzzle or a Multi and even then there's no way of knowing if the coin is actually in the cache container :D

Mark

I have just put a geocoin into an unpublished cache, but I normaly put them into the review que the same day as putting them out and as the reviewers here are pretty good they are normaly puibished the next day or same day if I'm luky.

I belive that some areas that are not caching hotspots have a single reviewer for several countrys and therefore are revewer challanged.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog
I belive that some areas that are not caching hotspots have a single reviewer for several countrys and therefore are revewer challanged.

The first part of your statement is right, the second part "not so much". :D Caches in the countries which don't have their "own" (local) reviewer are reviewed by some of the oldest and most experienced reviewers, and generally get looked at quite quickly.

Dropping a TB or coin in an unpublished cache is a slightly risky business, especially if the cache is being placed a long way from your home area. Reviewers regularly turn down caches which have been submitted by people on holiday, if there is no coherent maintenance plan. Sometimes there's a TB in the cache. Sometimes the cache placer attempts to use this for "moral blackmail" purposes to get their cache published. :D

Edited by riviouveur
Your coin is in a multi cache (GC????) set by (geonick deleted for privacy reasons)

Cache was reviewed yesterday. As it was a cache placed far from home am awaiting a bit more reassurance of maintenance before publishing it. Hopefully cache owner will reply soon.

Shalom,

erik - geocaching.com volunteer reviewer for Israel, and some other countries that don't have a dedicated local reviewer.

Edited to add that the cache in question is not a traditional cache, and the geocoin is not at the posted coords, so don't start your trip to Israel quite yet.

Edited by erik88l-r
Your coin is in a multi cache (GC????) set by (geonick deleted for privacy reasons)

Cache was reviewed yesterday. As it was a cache placed far from home am awaiting a bit more reassurance of maintenance before publishing it. Hopefully cache owner will reply soon.

Shalom,

erik - geocaching.com volunteer reviewer for Israel, and some other countries that don't have a dedicated local reviewer.

Edited to add that the cache in question is not a traditional cache, and the geocoin is not at the posted coords, so don't start your trip to Israel quite yet.

Thanks to everyone for your replies....much appreciated. I will wait with 'baited breath' to see where the coin is located.

Shalom,

Thanks to everyone for your replies....much appreciated. I will wait with 'baited breath' to see where the coin is located.

for a bit of piece of mind, I believe - at the reviewers discretion - that if the cache doesn't get published and is too far to be recovered by the setter, then they can ask a local cacher to retrieve the coin/TB, by giving them the coords to the final. I know the UK reviewers have done that before, but it does rely on a local cacher agreeing to do this.

Shalom,

for a bit of piece of mind, I believe - at the reviewers discretion - that if the cache doesn't get published and is too far to be recovered by the setter, then they can ask a local cacher to retrieve the coin/TB, by giving them the coords to the final. I know the UK reviewers have done that before, but it does rely on a local cacher agreeing to do this.

What a good idea and a nice thing to try and do.

for a bit of piece of mind, I believe - at the reviewers discretion - that if the cache doesn't get published and is too far to be recovered by the setter, then they can ask a local cacher to retrieve the coin/TB, by giving them the coords to the final.

Operation Trackable Rescue is underway in France... see here if you can read French. So far, out of 8 never-published caches with TBs, we have 1 where the cache has probably gone missing, 2 where the placer had gone back and taken the trackable, and 2 have been successfully recovered by local finders.