Pens, pencils, chalk, crayons, sharp sticks...

Arrow42

I recently placed a cache (still waiting review edit: published moments after this thread.) and I included a pen, since the cache was large enough. I chose an "ultra fine" tipped sharpie for the job. My initial thought was that the ink would when written on the page would be much less likely to run if the page were to get wet.

But now I'm worried about a second problem... the pen might bleed though to the next page.

Ok, so my question is what kind writing "utensil" do you prefer? As a cacher and as a cache owner.

Edited by Arrow42

I recently placed a cache (still waiting review edit: published moments after this thread.) and I included a pen, since the cache was large enough. I chose an "ultra fine" tipped sharpie for the job. My initial thought was that the ink would when written on the page would be much less likely to run if the page were to get wet.

But now I'm worried about a second problem... the pen might bleed though to the next page.

Ok, so my question is what kind writing "utensil" do you prefer? As a cacher and as a cache owner.

The problem with using a sharpie is the ink will bleed through depending on the paper.

Any good writing cheap Bic works fine.

I will use the pens I get from hotels if they write well enough and don't skip.

I never thought it mattered much, but my husband informed the kids the other day that if they get a FTF they have to sign in PEN! I do like signing with the ultra fine sharpies. I think you made a good choice.

In pen? Never saw that rule.

I carry a Sensa Meridian fountain pen full of Noodler's Bulletproof ink -- Noodler's Bulletproof ink is UV proof, waterproof, and resistant to most chemicals, so once it bonds to the paper, it's not going anywhere.

As a back-up, I also carry a Fisher Trekker. The Trekker carries the same pressurized ballpoint cartridge that Fisher's space pens use -- it will write at any angle, through grease, on soaking wet pages, or even completely under water -- making it perfect for damp, dirty, or otherwise less-than-perfect logbooks.

--Susan

I just placed two caches this weekend (still to be published) and I put mechanical pencils in them (2 in each). I'm hoping the caches will be sought during the winter months too and pencils should still write when the temperatures drop. That said, if the finder wants to sign in pen (or whatever else) I'm okay with that too. I was just more thinking of the weather conditions that might be present when someone finds the cache.

I always have 1 or 2 ballpoint pens and a sharpie in my pocket (caching or not), and haven't had a problem yet. Sometimes a wet log will hinder signing, but otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter.

BTW Arrow - I solved the puzzle, and will try to make it up there to your new cache this week. Your FTFer is a buddy of mine, but this one is just outside my notification area so I didn't see it come up!! Oh well - nice puzzle. You should come to the local events sometime.

99.9% of the time I use my own writing tools. I carry a mechanical pencil, a green microball pen, and a Space Pen.

If the log is wet or is Rite in the Rain paper, I use the Space Pen...otherwise I try to use the green one. The pencil is just there in case I need it.

I always have 1 or 2 ballpoint pens and a sharpie in my pocket (caching or not), and haven't had a problem yet. Sometimes a wet log will hinder signing, but otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter.

Yeah, sharpies seem to do better with the wet logs in my experience.

BTW Arrow - I solved the puzzle, and will try to make it up there to your new cache this week. Your FTFer is a buddy of mine, but this one is just outside my notification area so I didn't see it come up!! Oh well - nice puzzle. You should come to the local events sometime.

Thank you. I'd would really like to come but I work Friday to Monday and all the events fall on Saturdays! I have been keeping an eye out for weekday events, but I haven't had much luck in that department yet.

Here's a test of different writing instruments. First dry, then wet.

72057_4300.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the back, but the sharpie and the gel did go through. I didn't have a space pen at the time. I believe it was RK who found a much cheaper pressurized pen and did some tests.

As you can see, the gel pen got the words in the wet log. Even though it ran, it was still legible.

A better test would be taking a typical notebook and good selection of pens. Test each pen with several sheets between each. Soak the logbook, then try to write in it. Then see which pen is best in regards to bleed-through, legibility, and getting your signature in a wet log.

Regarding writing in cold weather...

Fisher pens (including the trekker I mentioned, the space pen others mentioned, or any pen with a Fisher refill) write at -30° to 250° Fahrenheit (-35° to 120° Celsius).

Noodler's Polar fountain pen inks are all "bulletproof" (UV proof, ammonia proof, bleach proof, water proof, and so on), and some will remain liquid and usable as low as -114° F (-81° C).

I'm not trying to rip on the pencil fans out there... I would just hate for anyone to think they didn't have a variety of choices in cold weather!

--Susan

We were carrying a several different pens but even then we got very discouraged when several of them didn't write (especially when trying to write in cramped, buggy, prickly etc. conditions). We pulled the plug last week on a Space Pen. Man that thing writes on everything in every condition. LOVE it!

As far as leaving a pen in a cache for others to use..I'd most definitely use a cheap one as they tend to walk off.

I was unwilling to pay 10.00 for a space pen so I put any pen in the cache and include a golf pencil and sharpener as a back up. If log is wet - it is time for maintanence - report it in a nice way. Pens do fail but I have not really had any problems with that in 6 years. I carry extra Pens in my pack and if the cache Pen doesn't work I replace with the one I bring and am happy to do so. I log that fact and remove the bad one. Pen replacement is a great way to keep caches going and finders happy. While carrying extra pens, carry them in a zip lock bag in case the car gets hot in the summer and melts the ink. A 95 degree sunshine means 135 degree car. Amazing what liquids will explode in a hot car. Inky mess!

BTW I have never signed a log upside down - always a 1st I guess!

Here's a test of different writing instruments. First dry, then wet.

72057_4300.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the back, but the sharpie and the gel did go through. I didn't have a space pen at the time. I believe it was RK who found a much cheaper pressurized pen and did some tests....

I did some tests a long time ago. The ISP though likely deleted the photo's when they quit doing home pages. Another test I rand was long term immersiion.

Gel will write on wet, but bleeds all over.

Regular ink won't write well on wet, and bleeds. I tended to rip soggy paper.

The Unibal Power Tank (which StarBrand also likes) writes on wet, and doesn't bleed.

Pencil doesn't bleed, but doesn't do wet. Sharp ones rip the paper.

Sharpies don't bleed (much) do ok on damp, but don't do wet that well on wet.

Ironicly Unibal had both the best pen and the worst pen ( a gell that bled to non existance) in my tests. Never had a space pen to test, but I've used the Power Tank's ever since as my portably logging instrement.

To be fair someone tipped me off on the Power Tank. Maybe StarBrand?

Edited by Renegade Knight

I don't give a crap either way. I use what I have when I find it. If the CO deletes the find because they don't like the way we signed it, oh well. It's just a number and we don't care about those. Besides, that has never happened and I'm sure it never will. We use what we have.

As a CO? It doesn't matter what we leave because I'm sure it will get taken.