Replacing someone else's cache container.

Arrow42

You're behind the times, they aren't called "throwdowns" any more, they are now called "angel caches". I guess its an attempt to put a positive light on what is at best a self-serving practice and at worst can cause

extra work for the cache owner and confusion for searchers.

"Angel caches?" Who coined that term, some co-worker of Winston Smith at the Ministry of Truth?

Apparently some anonymous 10K+ finding cacher who blew through Ohio recently? :anicute:

First mention of "Angel cache".

Ah. Coincidentally, it was some big-numbers folks who placed the most recent of the throwdown, demon caches that I had to remove. They actually mentioned doing so in their log. Pfft. :D

Some markedly differing viewpoints in this thread but I can't say as I thought of anyone as particularly upset.

Are you serious? Did you read Bittsen? He's ANGRY, repressed, and possibly psychotic! LOLOLOLOL!

No, just starved for some feminine "attention".

~LOL~

Welcome to the club!

Do we need a S/C/L (single/cacher/and looking) thread?

Second that! Throwdowns cause all kinds of havoc. I adopted an older cache that had spawned several 'replacements.' I removed three (!) and placed a new ammo can. Occasionally, though, cachers report finding the original container that all those helpful cachers were certain was missing.

You're behind the times, they aren't called "throwdowns" any more, they are now called "angel caches". I guess its an attempt to put a positive light on what is at best a self-serving practice and at worst can cause

In my area we call them "739s"

Edited by The Ravens

Second that! Throwdowns cause all kinds of havoc. I adopted an older cache that had spawned several 'replacements.' I removed three (!) and placed a new ammo can. Occasionally, though, cachers report finding the original container that all those helpful cachers were certain was missing.

Why?

To honor the beginning of the reign of the House of Ukil starting in Bulgaria with King Kormishosh.?

In memory of Charles Martel driving the Moors out of France?

To memorialize the death of Willibrord, first bishop of Utrecht, apostle to the Frisians?

Or is it related to 739.com?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by wimseyguy

Why?

To honor the beginning of the reign of the House of Ukil starting in Bulgaria with King Kormishosh.?

In memory of Charles Martel driving the Moors out of France?

To memorialize the death of Willibrord, first bishop of Utrecht, apostle to the Frisians?

Or is it related to 739.com?

So do I :(

We have a cacher here with the nick of *****739 that replaces caches a lot if he finds it's missing.

If you replace the cache please report it in the cache logs so owner and all will know it has been done. Make sure the cache description is not far off for the container you replace it with, so other won't look for the wrong container. If you don't hear from the owner then report it again after some number of finds have occured. Then report to moderator.

"Angel caches?" Who coined that term, some co-worker of Winston Smith at the Ministry of Truth?

Semantics is such an interesting subject, isn't it? Give it a 'good' name, and it becomes good! "We are going 'Green'!" Nope. You're too cheap to send out paper statements.

A throwdown is a throwdown. The cache isn't there (or the hunter cannot find it). That's a DNF. Throwing down a cache, and then logging it, is bloviated self-aggrandizement. If you didn't find it, it's a DNF.

So do I :)

We have a cacher here with the nick of *****739 that replaces caches a lot if he finds it's missing.

I love the term, "Finds it missing". How can he find it if its missing, and how does he know that its missing if he can't find it?

;)

I love the term, "Finds it missing". How can he find it if its missing, and how does he know that its missing if he can't find it? :)

I agree. It could just be relocated in the wrong spot or they just didn't see it. I wouldn't replace a container unless it was found and obviously damaged, like the top is cracked and everything is floating inside.