Replacing someone else's cache container.

Arrow42

I ran across an interesting multi-cache a week or so ago. It was fun. The last stage was a plastic tupperware container, and like many tupperware containers it has cracked and the lid has warped. I would like to replace the container, but I wanted to know if that was acceptable practice or not. I contacted the CO a few days ago but I haven't heard back from them yet.

I ran across an interesting multi-cache a week or so ago. It was fun. The last stage was a plastic tupperware container, and like many tupperware containers it has cracked and the lid has warped. I would like to replace the container, but I wanted to know if that was acceptable practice or not. I contacted the CO a few days ago but I haven't heard back from them yet.

No, it is NOT alright.

If it was then it would be OK for people to "replace" all those ammo cans with Tupperware®

Around my caching area, it's very much appreciated. If it were my cache, I'd say go ahead...please! It's not always easy to get to some of my caches. For some cachers that have a lot of caches out there, they depend on considerate finders to help out. For cachers that have lost the caching craze and no longer maintain their cache(s), we fanatics will keep them going if it's a good cache. I'd say to go for it...you're not doing a bad thing[:D]

And you're not replacing an ammo can with tupperware!

Edited by bartrod

Around my caching area, it's very much appreciated. If it were my cache, I'd say go ahead...please! It's not always easy to get to some of my caches. For some cachers that have a lot of caches out there, they depend on considerate finders to help out. For cachers that have lost the caching craze and no longer maintain their cache(s), we fanatics will keep them going if it's a good cache. I'd say to go for it...you're not doing a bad thing[:D]

I agree with bartrod. If you're going to replace a damaged cheap tupperware type container with a lock 'n lock or an ammo can, go for it.

Of all the cachers I've met, I've never met one who would be even slightly miffed at the prospect of someone saving them a trip out to the wilds. I guess I could see an exception if you used an inferior container as the replacement, but I'd think that the need for a replacement would warrant a trip from the cache owner anyway. So long as you use something as good or better than the original, I doubt you'd ever hear a complaint.

I said "Tupperware", but I meant it in the generic sense. I think it's was one of those thin-plastic glad-ware containers. It's about the size of an ammo can however.

No, it is NOT alright.

If it was then it would be OK for people to "replace" all those ammo cans with Tupperware®

Bittsen, I think the reason why you say that's wrong is because the exchange isn't even? If I do replace the cache I would replace it with a more durable container.

Of all the cachers I've met, I've never met one who would be even slightly miffed at the prospect of someone saving them a trip out to the wilds. I guess I could see an exception if you used an inferior container as the replacement, but I'd think that the need for a replacement would warrant a trip from the cache owner anyway. So long as you use something as good or better than the original, I doubt you'd ever hear a complaint.

I'd tend to agree. I once replaced a bad cracked Tupperware container with a nice new lock-n-lock, for someone who hadn't logged in in a couple of years, and had obviously lost interest in the cache. But then again, that opens up the whole can of worms whether or not that cache should have just been allowed to die, or be maintained by the community. I guess in the end, I wouldn't do something like that again, at least in the case of an "abandoned" cache.

I said "Tupperware", but I meant it in the generic sense. I think it's was one of those thin-plastic glad-ware containers. It's about the size of an ammo can however.

No, it is NOT alright.

Bittsen, I think the reason why you say that's wrong is because the exchange isn't even? If I do replace the cache I would replace it with a more durable container.

You are correct and incorrect.

Part of why I wouldn't replace the container is because the person who placed the container is supposed to be responsible for the cache. If they are not going to maintain it then it should be retired. This would allow someone who is more interested in the game to have a place to put a new cache.

I believe that once you remove yourself from the game, either by closing your account or by not caring for your caches, you should remove all of the caches you placed.

It's just an opinion.

I agree with Bartrod. We have met each other a couple times and have helped each other out on a few tough caches.

We also help each other out with quick maintenance on each other's caches. On one of my caches, the latch was broken, so I set out to take a look at it and ran into Bartrod. He said he did a temporary repair on it until I can order and replace the container.

I repaid him the favor when on on of his caches, the log was very wet. I live right by that cache while he was like 30 miles away. So it was a snap for me to replace the log.

I've done the same to other caches in the area and other cachers have done it as well. We all help each other out.

Bittsen, as for a person not being active in geocaching and therefore should remove his cache, I look at this way. Every geocacher has his/her own life to attend to. Sometimes events in that person's life takes him/her out of the game for a while so I will help out the person by maintaining the cache for him until he can get back into it to keep it going.

Look at it this way, Bittsen. Let's say you own a cache. You go on vacation or something happens in your life (death in the family, job change, etc). You get a notice that your cache needs maintenance but you can't get to it for a while. Would you want someone to take care of it for you or would you rather let it sit idle?

I figured as much.

This is a community and we all help each other out.

If I have something like it or a little better - and the same size, I would replace it and send an email to the cache owner about it.

If the container was a custom camo job, that might be a different story though.

I would say no. If your not familiar the cache owner you could tick them off. Better to ask before replacing big parts, like the container.

If the owner is completely gone, then fixing the container is nice gesture, but is only half of the problem :D .

Bittsen, as for a person not being active in geocaching and therefore should remove his cache, I look at this way. Every geocacher has his/her own life to attend to. Sometimes events in that person's life takes him/her out of the game for a while so I will help out the person by maintaining the cache for him until he can get back into it to keep it going.

Look at it this way, Bittsen. Let's say you own a cache. You go on vacation or something happens in your life (death in the family, job change, etc). You get a notice that your cache needs maintenance but you can't get to it for a while. Would you want someone to take care of it for you or would you rather let it sit idle?

I figured as much.

This is a community and we all help each other out.

Don't assume I will agree with you. I don't.

If I owned a cache and went on vacation, death in the family, etc... and reeived a note that the cache needed maintenance, I would take the task I promised (myself) to do and either place the cache as no longer active and/or put a note in my log that I would like someone to adopt, remove, maintain, or whatever. It takes a few moments of time to do this. That is assuming I was unable to care for the cache.

If I just didn't want to do it anymore, I would remove it and delete it.

GC makes it pretty clear when you list a cache that you will be required to maintain it. If you can't maintain it, you should do something about that. As an example, I have wanted to place many caches but know that I wouldn't want to go 30 miles and hike 2 more whenever the cache needed maintenance.

You are right, that the caching community helps eachother out, in general. What you forget is that it isn't the GC community to babysit those who place caches, or their caches.

No, it is NOT alright.

Part of why I wouldn't replace the container is because the person who placed the container is supposed to be responsible for the cache. If they are not going to maintain it then it should be retired. This would allow someone who is more interested in the game to have a place to put a new cache.

I believe that once you remove yourself from the game, either by closing your account or by not caring for your caches, you should remove all of the caches you placed.

It's just an opinion.

I agree with this! Even though earlier in the thread I said I once swapped out a better container for a seemingly long gone non-interested party. Hey, I said I wouldn't do it again, didn't I? :D

No, it is NOT alright.

It's just an opinion.

I agree with this! Even though earlier in the thread I said I once swapped out a better container for a seemingly long gone non-interested party. Hey, I said I wouldn't do it again, didn't I? :D

Would you replace the can at "The Spot" if it started to leak?

I usually have at least one decon container and a few logs on rain rite paper with me. If the container is the same size and unserviceable I replace it and say so in my log. I have gotten a positive response each time. Given the amount of lame tupperware containers recently it should be appreciated when a real container is used.

I replaced an MIA container while I was at GW7. There were several DNF's for the past few months.

There was only 1 spot for a cache to be placed, so I replaced it.

I sent the owner an e-mail as to my maint I did, and he/she thanked me profusely...

I was sorta leery about replacing it, but in the end, I did the owner a favor..they hadn't been able to get out and about in a while.

ALWAYS send an e-mail if you did cache maint on anothers cache.

The worst thing that can happen...you get a nasty e-mail, the best thing...you get a heartfelt thanks.

I rarely think about replacing a container...but sometimes you just get the "do it, it feels right" thought.

Just my 7 cents worth....

~Jenni

No, it is NOT alright.

It's just an opinion.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion, but I don't agree with it. There are a couple of caches in my area for which the owner no longer lives in the area. For the past two years (at least), they have essentially been maintained by the local community. While we under no obligation to do so, I think many cachers would rather help maintain an older cache that has a bit of history, then see it archived and replaced with a new one. These two caches are the oldest in the area, both placed in 2001, and still contain the original log books (one of them is on it's third log book). I don't know where you live, but in my area, "having a place to put a cache" really isn't an issue. For example, there is a 15 mile long trail (the official trail is along an old RR bed) nearby that has only two caches along it (I own both of them). Anyone the the smallest amount of imagination can find plenty of places to put a cache that *isn't* a spot where geocachers have gone before to find a cache.

I a cache has become neglected due to an absentee owner, IMHO, there shouldn't be a hard and fast rule regarding whether it should be archived. Some caches are worth saving, and when it's done by the local community they're providing a unique caching experience that many newcomers to the game would not have the opportunity to do (finding a cache that has been in place for a very long time). Someone else mentioned a cache called "The Spot". That cache has been in place since 2000 and from what I"ve read is the oldest geocache east of the Mississippi. I'm not sure who maintains it noe, but it's not the original owner. It would really be a shame to have a cache with such historical significance archived because the original owner moved, or life in some way prevented them from continuing to maintain it.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion, but I don't agree with it. There are a couple of caches in my area for which the owner no longer lives in the area. For the past two years (at least), they have essentially been maintained by the local community. While we under no obligation to do so, I think many cachers would rather help maintain an older cache that has a bit of history, then see it archived and replaced with a new one. These two caches are the oldest in the area, both placed in 2001, and still contain the original log books (one of them is on it's third log book). I don't know where you live, but in my area, "having a place to put a cache" really isn't an issue. For example, there is a 15 mile long trail (the official trail is along an old RR bed) nearby that has only two caches along it (I own both of them). Anyone the the smallest amount of imagination can find plenty of places to put a cache that *isn't* a spot where geocachers have gone before to find a cache.

I a cache has become neglected due to an absentee owner, IMHO, there shouldn't be a hard and fast rule regarding whether it should be archived. Some caches are worth saving, and when it's done by the local community they're providing a unique caching experience that many newcomers to the game would not have the opportunity to do (finding a cache that has been in place for a very long time). Someone else mentioned a cache called "The Spot". That cache has been in place since 2000 and from what I"ve read is the oldest geocache east of the Mississippi. I'm not sure who maintains it noe, but it's not the original owner. It would really be a shame to have a cache with such historical significance archived because the original owner moved, or life in some way prevented them from continuing to maintain it.

Why would the cache be cared for by "the community" rather than having it adopted? I'm sure if the original owner can't care for the cache then they would be open to adoption.

Archiving was an option, not an absolute.

For the owner to just walk away from it and let it decay (or force the community to take care of it) is the same as abandoning a pet. (not from a PETA point of view.. ~L~). The person who abandons caches shouldn't be allowed to own caches. IMHO

Why would the cache be cared for by "the community" rather than having it adopted? I'm sure if the original owner can't care for the cache then they would be open to adoption.

In almost all cases it seems that a cache can only be adopted if the original owner agrees to it. If the owner has gone missing and is no longer responding to emails then adoption is generally not possible. I dont know if there are regional differences in how things work but around here, if an owner is absent and the community wont take care of a cache (and the cache needs help), it will most likely be archived.

As I recall, the policy around forced adoptions changed some time in the last 12 months.

In almost all cases it seems that a cache can only be adopted if the original owner agrees to it. If the owner has gone missing and is no longer responding to emails then adoption is generally not possible. I dont know if there are regional differences in how things work but around here, if an owner is absent and the community wont take care of a cache (and the cache needs help), it will most likely be archived.

As I recall, the policy around forced adoptions changed some time in the last 12 months.

Correct, no more "forced" adoptions. There are too many issues, some of them legal in nature, to letting people "officially" adopt a cache without the owners consent. That is why the community steps up to support caches with special import.

On the other hand I see no advantage to long term community support for the average cache when the owner goes missing. Help out a normally active cacher when you can but not keep a cache going just because it was a cache. Save that for the very few caches that stand out above all others.

I just replaced a container last weekend. I was hiking around a local marsh that has 4 caches and the first one I hit was a CITO cache. I was looking for a place to set up a new cache and had a medium sized lock n lock that I had camoed. The cache that I replaced looked like a coffee creamer container with camo tape wrapped around it. The log was to wet to sign and most of the contents were ruined. I didn't hesitate to change the container complete with fresh swag and a new log. We managed to save some of the original contents and placed them in the new, larger, and better quality container. This cacher hasn't logged on since late january so I'm sure she'll be back. If she's mad then I'll gladly replace the original container and logbook. I grabbed a bag from the cache and did some CITO well I was there. I barely filled a shopping bag and this is a popular spot with the local kids. Looks to me like the CITO is doing its job around the marsh. Would you let it go and just add to the trash with some geotrash or continue what I feel is a great cache on a great marsh. Swizzle

I would certainly appreciate someone replacing one of my caches if they found it and it had a problem. I would offer to give them a replacement container to make up for the one they used for my cache.

If I was doing a friends cache or someone who I knew well/personally, I'd replace it because I know they'd appreciate it. If it was someone I only knew a little or not at all, I wouldn't replace it.

I just replaced a container last weekend. I was hiking around a local marsh that has 4 caches and the first one I hit was a CITO cache. I was looking for a place to set up a new cache and had a medium sized lock n lock that I had camoed. The cache that I replaced looked like a coffee creamer container with camo tape wrapped around it. The log was to wet to sign and most of the contents were ruined. I didn't hesitate to change the container complete with fresh swag and a new log. We managed to save some of the original contents and placed them in the new, larger, and better quality container. This cacher hasn't logged on since late january so I'm sure she'll be back. If she's mad then I'll gladly replace the original container and logbook. I grabbed a bag from the cache and did some CITO well I was there. I barely filled a shopping bag and this is a popular spot with the local kids. Looks to me like the CITO is doing its job around the marsh. Would you let it go and just add to the trash with some geotrash or continue what I feel is a great cache on a great marsh. Swizzle

Probably replace it, this time. But if the owner doesn't return to caching I'd consider letting it go. Then when it gets archived I'd replace it with one of my own and possibly cito the remains of the defunct cache while I'm setting it up. The last part is dicey as we don't know if it is listed elsewhere.

If you want to perform maintenance on a cache, you can. This includes containers. It would be pretty cheesy to "fix" a cache with a cheap container, but as long as it secure I don't see the problem. There's less of a problem with a good quality replacement. If the CO has a problem with it then he can head out and do some maintenance himself.

Besides, if he had used an ammo can or other suitable container the first time he wouldn't have this problem.

Some markedly differing viewpoints in this thread but I can't say as I thought of anyone as particularly upset.

Are you serious? Did you read Bittsen? He's ANGRY, repressed, and possibly psychotic! LOLOLOLOL!

No, just starved for some feminine "attention".

~LOL~

I've replaced a few cache containers, usually with the owner's prior permission. But I've also replaced a couple in the field without permission. My criterion for doing so was that the cache was in imminent danger of total ruin (e.g., rainy season coming and no other way to fix the leaky cache container).

I've also been on the receiving end of a container 'upgrade' that cost me a long hike to undo. Somebody decided my nice metal box sheltered in a rock grotto needed the additional protection of being placed inside a plastic box. The extra container would have trapped moisture and rusted out my box inside of a year. Sigh.

If it ain't well and truly broke, don't fix it!

If you want to perform maintenance on a cache, you can. This includes containers. It would be pretty cheesy to "fix" a cache with a cheap container, but as long as it secure I don't see the problem. There's less of a problem with a good quality replacement. If the CO has a problem with it then he can head out and do some maintenance himself.

Besides, if he had used an ammo can or other suitable container the first time he wouldn't have this problem.

I once replaced a cache container with a cheesy nylon bag off a promotional umbrella. I had found the cache contents strewn about the area and no sign of a container. I used what I had and notified the owner.

I've no problem with repairing a cache for an active owner. I just think we need to think about it when we are prolonging the cache or caches of an inactive owner. Is the cache special enough that it should be saved? Or is it just another cache and we should just let it go and let an active cacher hide a new one?

Some markedly differing viewpoints in this thread but I can't say as I thought of anyone as particularly upset.

Are you serious? Did you read Bittsen? He's ANGRY, repressed, and possibly psychotic! LOLOLOLOL!

~LOL~

Give him a break, it isn't his fault. He was born a hard line type. :laughing:

~LOL~

Give him a break, it isn't his fault. He was born a hard line type. :laughing:

Thats odd, I just looked at my calendar and it doesn't say it is pick on Bittsen day.

I guess I'm just that popular.

:lol:

~LOL~

Welcome to the club!

For the owner to just walk away from it and let it decay (or force the community to take care of it) is the same as abandoning a pet. (not from a PETA point of view.. ~L~). The person who abandons caches shouldn't be allowed to own caches. IMHO

As someone else mentioned, Cache adoption is not an option unless the CO initiates the adoption procedure. In this case, the community has unofficially adopted three caches that were placed by someone that no longer lives in the area.

It looks like that last log on one of those caches (the oldest cache in the area) by the CO was in 2007 to make an update on the page listing but her last find was in 2005 (in another State). So she was somewhat active for four years after placing these caches, but it's now 8 years later. Do you know for sure that you'll be actively geocaching eight years from now?

Normally I would say, no, not without contacting the CO first. But if you are standing there with a damaged container and you have the ability and supplies to make some temporary repairs that is a good practice.

I rarely carry more than a spare log sheet with me when I'm out in finding mode. I don't practice random hiding, I have to be in that mood. And if the CO is MIA or gone, it is probably better to have a cache archived and make room for one owned by an active cacher. Exceptions might be made for caches with a substantial history.

I replaced an MIA container while I was at GW7. There were several DNF's for the past few months.

There was only 1 spot for a cache to be placed, so I replaced it.

I sent the owner an e-mail as to my maint I did, and he/she thanked me profusely...

I don't ever see an appropriate time/place to put out an angel or throwdown cache when you cannot find the one that is supposed to be there.

Edited by wimseyguy

I don't ever see an appropriate time/place to put out an angel or throwdown cache when you cannot find the one that is supposed to be there.

Second that! Throwdowns cause all kinds of havoc. I adopted an older cache that had spawned several 'replacements.' I removed three (!) and placed a new ammo can. Occasionally, though, cachers report finding the original container that all those helpful cachers were certain was missing.

Second that! Throwdowns cause all kinds of havoc. I adopted an older cache that had spawned several 'replacements.' I removed three (!) and placed a new ammo can. Occasionally, though, cachers report finding the original container that all those helpful cachers were certain was missing.

You're behind the times, they aren't called "throwdowns" any more, they are now called "angel caches". I guess its an attempt to put a positive light on what is at best a self-serving practice and at worst can cause

extra work for the cache owner and confusion for searchers.

You're behind the times, they aren't called "throwdowns" any more, they are now called "angel caches". I guess its an attempt to put a positive light on what is at best a self-serving practice and at worst can cause

"Angel caches?" Who coined that term, some co-worker of Winston Smith at the Ministry of Truth?

I wouldn't replace a cache. I would certainly leave a log, and maybe even send an email stating it needs help. I know cache owners around here that do not want you messing with their caches. Period. I have also seen caches replaced by well intended cachers only to go find te cache and then find the replaceent as well as the original container.

It should be the cache owner's responsiblity to maintain their caches.The cache seeker should help the cache owner by at least leaving a log if something needs to be fixed/repaired/replaced. If the owner is no longer in the game, I think the cache should be archived and open up the area to new cachers. I don't care how 'historic' a cache is, if it's junk, the owners aren't active, it needs to go.

I once came across a cache that was in a decon container that had a cracked lid. If I would have had an extra decon container with me I would have put everything in a new decon container and discarded the cracked one. If someone did the same thing to a cache of mine, I'd appreciate it. Sometimes, the fact that a cache needs maintenance doesn't get posted for a while, and in the meantime the log gets soaked and everything inside gets ruined. If it were some type of specialty container that the owner had made himself or something, or I had a question about whether the owner would be offended, I'd just post a maintenance log, but I don't think that swapping out a decon container for a decon container should offend anyone. Someone here may prove me wrong.

Hey, what's with all this talk about absentee cache owners, anyway? The cache owner in question was last online June 15, 2009 (that's yesterday, folks). They have 25 hides and over 1800 finds, the last found 3 days ago. If they haven't responded to an email, I'm sure they will soon.

"Angel caches?" Who coined that term, some co-worker of Winston Smith at the Ministry of Truth?

Apparently some anonymous 10K+ finding cacher who blew through Ohio recently? :D

First mention of "Angel cache".