Geocaching and Crime

Has anybody had their car broken into while you were out on the trail? I was parked near the old brick factory between Crockett and Martinez, CA. I took the mtn. bike out and found a half-dozen caches along a closed road section over about ninety minutes on a Saturday evening. I rode back to the car to discover a rear window smashed in and a toolbox missing. Toolbox only contained assorted car junk and some old rusty hand tools, not much of a score for the criminals. I drove home and patched it with cardboard and a ton of duct tape until I can get a replacement window.

Here I am enjoying the local caches and these idiot criminals bust into my car. Made me furious! I have gone caching at night in bad neighborhoods, parked all day while exploring a park trail system, and situations like these. Never had any problem until last night.

I guess I just needed to vent. Anybody have a similar experience they care to share/comiserate?

Last weekend one of our caching partners and I went up into the mountains in his off-road truck. We were planning a string of temp caches for a Cub Scout camping weekend. We could not get into the campground because the gate was locked so we parked there next to the gate. We walked back to the camp, and then made an initial circuit to test for distance and to scout spots. We ended up at the truck for a water break. We finished making a second circuit and came back to the truck only to find the driver's window smashed. We checked his truck for missing items and found that even though he had some fairly expensive truck related items, the only thing missing was my caching bag. I don't do swag, so it is small with about $60 worth of GPS cables and mounting equipment. I suspect they thought it was a purse and were disappointed.

Truck window: $125

Caching bag: $60

Helping out the Scouts and enjoying a hike in the cool mountain air: Priceless

Edited by boda

Twice. Once a quick smash of the drivers side window while I was parked a trail head. A fairly busy place, somewhat unexpected there. They apparently were run off before they had a chance to ransack the car. Considerable valuables in the trunk, which could have been opened once they were in the car. The did get the transformer for the laptop.

The other time someone tried to pry the drivers side lock off. Did quite a bit of damage, but didn't get into the vehicle. A total shocker, that parking is near I-75 and U.S. 50, often a county deputy parked there in the shade, catching up on paper work and waiting for calls. There were people in the lot when I left, and people when I got back. Must have been just a few minutes when the lot was abandoned. Long enough for them to cost me $$.

I have been told by some people who drive vehicles with convertible tops that they leave nothing of value in the passenger compartment, and they leave the doors unlocked to keep the top from being slit by someone attempting to gain entry. This may or may not be a useful idea.

Also, here's a gift I received from my son. The item comes in various sizes and can be locked to a hinge or bracket in the storage compartment of a vehicle. pacsafe anti-theft bag

Vent away, you are so justified - what a feeling of invasion! I never could have understood until it happened to me. At a local state park 3 miles from my home, also. Was taking my bike in, so packed light and left most of my stuff in the car. Came back after 45 minutes, found my passenger window smashed and the car cleaned out - $3700 gone, including the purse I had just gotten for my birthday. No credit card, no cash... and it was Sunday, so my bank wasn't open. Worst part was that my daughter's recital was that night, and I didn't have the $5 to get in! Had to tell my sob story to get in...

This is a real problem where I work. I've networked with the local national and state park LEOs who are also having the same issue. Purses are the main target. A bit of advice for anyone. Just hiding a purse under your seat isn't good enough. These criminals are watching you from their car in the parking lot. If they see a female go inside a store without a purse, they know one is probably in the car somewhere. They will break a window and look under the seats. I've worked 7 years as an LEO and worked countless smash and grabs. Not once, though, have I had someone try to get into a trunk. But with all the SUVs out there, that may not be an option. No matter where you go, take your valuables with you!

I have been told by some people who drive vehicles with convertible tops that they leave nothing of value in the passenger compartment, and they leave the doors unlocked to keep the top from being slit by someone attempting to gain entry. This may or may not be a useful idea.

this is actually illigal in many places.

If your car gets stolen/robbed and the doors weren't unlocked:

- you can get a fine for "inviting" thieves in

- you can't prove someone broke in, there's no damage done...

it's better to LET them slice the top, and make sure you're insured against vandalism/robbery...

Yup... stupidly left my Nuvi 200W in my car while going after a cache on Thanksgiving Day last fall. The car was parked in a very upper-class St. Paul neighborhood, so I didn't think that I was taking a chance. Got back to find the passenger window smashed and the Nuvi gone.

Garmin recommends not only removing the GPS, but the mount, and wiping the suction cup ring off the glass. I would never get any caching done if I had to do all that every time I stopped (and Garmin's suction cup only comes off easily when you do NOT want it to) but the GPS always goes with me now.

this is actually illigal in many places.

If your car gets stolen/robbed and the doors weren't unlocked:

- you can get a fine for "inviting" thieves in

- you can't prove someone broke in, there's no damage done...

it's better to LET them slice the top, and make sure you're insured against vandalism/robbery...

I can't imagine that any jurisdiction has an active law making it illegal to not lock your doors. Can you please share such a law with the rest of the class?

When I am enjoying my convertible, I typically will leave it parked with the top down, doors locked, and alarm on. Sometimes, I'll raise the windows, but not typically.

The key to minimizing your odds of having your vehicle broken into is to make sure that nothing of value is visible from the outside. If they see something that could be grabbed through a broken window, it's much more likely that they will break the window. Other things that can be done is to park the vehicle in a lighted area, near other cars, in a location that tends to have people wandering around. Of course, sometimes this isn't possible.

I can't imagine that any jurisdiction has an active law making it illegal to not lock your doors. Can you please share such a law with the rest of the class?

Similar, but not exactly the same: here in Minnesota you can get a ticket for leaving your engine running when you are away from your vehicle (such as in a convenience store). The reason for the law is the same... because you are baiting a criminal. Ironically, I've seen more police cars left running in the parking lot than civilian cars.

Before I started caching I had two different Jeep Wranglers, and each one got broken into. Once while on vacation and once while in our town.

The first Jeep, they nicely unzipped the window and opened the door, but they broke the locked storage ares to get to some CDs and sunglasses and other little things.

In the second Jeep they sliced all the windows to get inside.

After the second break in, I usually drove it with the doors off, but if they were on I wouldn't lock them, the glove box and any other "locking" things. I figured if they wanted something, I'd rather have them not slice it to get inside.

Never had a problem after that. Maybe they figured if I was "stupid enough" to leave it unlocked there wasn't anything of value worth taking.

Similar, but not exactly the same: here in Minnesota you can get a ticket for leaving your engine running when you are away from your vehicle (such as in a convenience store). The reason for the law is the same... because you are baiting a criminal. Ironically, I've seen more police cars left running in the parking lot than civilian cars.

We have a state law where we can't idle vehicles for more than 3 minutes, but it's an anti-pollution law.

knowshad, It shouldn't matter if the car is running or not. It's not their vehicle to take. Are they given less of a sentence (or none) if they took the car and it was running?

Edited by Skippermark

Yup... stupidly left my Nuvi 200W in my car while going after a cache on Thanksgiving Day last fall. The car was parked in a very upper-class St. Paul neighborhood, so I didn't think that I was taking a chance. Got back to find the passenger window smashed and the Nuvi gone.

Garmin recommends not only removing the GPS, but the mount, and wiping the suction cup ring off the glass. I would never get any caching done if I had to do all that every time I stopped (and Garmin's suction cup only comes off easily when you do NOT want it to) but the GPS always goes with me now.

One possible solution is to purchase the beanbag mount for the Garmin. It's easy to remove and hide, no suction cup ring either.

Before I started caching I had two different Jeep Wranglers, and each one got broken into. Once while on vacation and once while in our town.

The first Jeep, they nicely unzipped the window and opened the door, but they broke the locked storage ares to get to some CDs and sunglasses and other little things.

After the second break in, I usually drove it with the doors off, but if they were on I wouldn't lock them, the glove box and any other "locking" things. I figured if they wanted something, I'd rather have them not slice it to get inside.

Never had a problem after that. Maybe they figured if I was "stupid enough" to leave it unlocked there wasn't anything of value worth taking.

My uncle had the doors stolen off his jeep when he left it unlocked. It's a no-win situation many times.

knowshad, It shouldn't matter if the car is running or not. It's not their vehicle to take. Are they given less of a sentence (or none) if they took the car and it was running?

I completely agree with you. I'd even think that it would be unconstitutional, but the law has been on the books here for a number of years now without a successful challenge. Of course, I have no idea how many tickets, if any, have actually been written based on that statute.

Good question on the sentence leniency. "But your honor... he LEFT IT RUNNING, for cryin' out loud!" :D

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised. In my high school, the kids who had their own black market on stolen car phone antennas and radar detectors were the ones living in the wealthiest neighborhoods in town.

We have a state law where we can't idle vehicles for more than 3 minutes, but it's an anti-pollution law.

I bet that the Minnesota law was sold as a public safety issue.

Driver leaves the car running, but doesn't set the gear shift all the way into park. It drops into reverse and the excitement begins. News at eleven.

Edited by sbell111

My uncle had the doors stolen off his jeep when he left it unlocked. It's a no-win situation many times.

I have an NRA sticker on my Jeep. Let's just say it's not for show. Most criminals tend to steer clear of gun-toting right-wing wackos like me. :laughing:

Growing up in the ghetto as a wayward child with much experience on this subject. There is only one solution - hire someone to sit in the front seat with a shotgun. A big mean dog will only keep some of the amateurs away. In my old neighborhood it was a guarantee that your stereo would eventually be stolen (Pioneer Super tuner days - ya).

I read a tip once that suggested when parking at a trail head you shouldn't move valuable items to the trunk at that point, as a thief watching from a parked car will know to break into your car. Instead, move items to the trunk before arriving at the parking area, so when you do arrive you just get out of the car and head for the trail.

One possible solution is to purchase the beanbag mount for the Garmin. It's easy to remove and hide, no suction cup ring either.

I do agree with this, but the only place to hide it and the GPS is in the trunk, IMHO.

We have always moved our Nuvi or Streetpilot to the floor on it's mount when stopped. No more, after the incident described above. Fortunately, we took neither GPS with us (which is unusual). Unfortunately, my beanbag mount was in the bag that was stolen.