Cache Folder for Nuvi 350

When I've generated a Pocket Query for Caches along a Route, I receive a zipped folder from geocaching.com that can be unzipped to a GPX file.

I can then take that GPX file and put it into GSAK and export it to my Nuvi.

However, it puts all the caches somewhere (not sure where) and the cache GC numbers turn up on the Nuvi under my "Favorites" and I have to individually delete them after using them since I don't want to delete all my other "Favorites".

Also, even though they are in my "Favorites" they are not showing up on the map screen while I'm driving!

What am I doing wrong?

Should I just add the GPX file to the first/base Nuvi folder, or add it to the GPX folder, or add it to the Waypoints folder?

Should the file be renamed Waypoints.GPX or Current.GPX?

Any help greatly appreciated.

If you look on the forums you will find two posts (by Pilotsnipes and JJreds) they have both written macros to work with GSAK and garmin's POILoader.

These macros will store the info from GSAK onto a memory card instead of the favorites it will also have a tourguied feature that will sound a chime whenever you come within a predetermined distance of a cache.

You will also be able to delete one file when you want to reload new info instead of deleteing them one at at time.

If you look on the forums you will find two posts (by Pilotsnipes and JJreds) they have both written macros to work with GSAK and garmin's POILoader.

These macros will store the info from GSAK onto a memory card instead of the favorites it will also have a tourguied feature that will sound a chime whenever you come within a predetermined distance of a cache.

You will also be able to delete one file when you want to reload new info instead of deleteing them one at at time.

Thanks luckybobb ... but I don't have a memory card in my Nuvi

:laughing:

EDIT: I just found a 25 MB one in my "miscellaneous drawer". Will that be sufficient memory? OK ... I'll just follow the instructions on the JJreds googlepages. Seems pretty comprehensive to me [crosses fingers]!

Edited by M'Lord and m'lady

I am using GSAK and the GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk macro with my Nuvi 350. For close to 1000 caches, it only uses 1.8 Meg when converted to a gpi file. That includes descriptions, logs, and hints. The conversion to a gpi file using Garmin's GPI Loader is pretty straight forward. If you want to have more than one poi file, they need to have different names.

OK ... I used GSAK and the GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk macro with my Nuvi 350 and everything seemed to go very well for a route I planned from Orlando, FL to Chicago, IL. I picked up quite a few caches on the way.

Only one problem ... I have Custom POI's on my Nuvi BUT ...all the caches ALSO went into my Favorites so, now I have a Favorites folder full of caches alongside my original Favorites.

I can only delete Favorites one at a time!

Where did I go wrong? How can I prevent the caches going under Favorites? Is there a way I can edit the Favorites file so I can just remove the caches?

I think the easiest way is to get a copy of EasyGps. It's free. I'm sure there is a way to do this with GSAK, but I think this is easier.

First install EasyGps. Connect your Nuvi to your computer. Copy your POI files to your computer. Copy the current.gpx file to your computer. Once you are certain that is accomplished. disconnect the Nuvi from your computer. Power your Nuvi up, select "Where to?", select "My Locations", and then select "Delete All". I know, it's scary.

Using EasyGps, open the current.gpx file you saved to your computer. You should be able to delete the caches. When you have deleted the caches, do a File> Save As favorite.gpx.

Reconnect the Nuvi to your computer. Put your POI files back into the POI directory. Put the favorite.gpx file in the gpx directory. Disconnect the Nuvi from the computer, start it up again, you should be good to go.

It seems that if you copy the gpx file into the gpx folder on the Nuvi, it gets sucked into the current.gpx file. To keep caches from showing up in Favorites, DO NOT put the Pocket Query gpx file in the gpx folder.

Now .... this is driving me NUTS!

I used GSAK and the GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk macro with my Nuvi 350 ... this time (with the Windows POI Loader) it created the Custom POI folders on the Nuvi and, if I select one of the caches, the Nuvi will take me there. However, when driving in normal mode and looking at the regular map ... the downloaded POIs are not showing up! Previously, when they were loaded into my Favorites, they did show up. Now they wont.

I've read about zooming in, etc but ... even when I am right on top of a cache (as directed by the Nuvi when searching for a particular cache that I have selected from the Custom POI folder) and then switch to "normal driving map mode, the POI, i.e. the cache, does not show up!

Yes .... it's driving me NUTS! Why don't the custom POIs show up on the normal map when they are all there on the NUVI? DoI have to put them in another folder?

Check out this linkPaper less cache with nuvi

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

I did this and it added a new buton on my nuvi 205 called extras, and then POI

really nice. Update your maps and firmware first.

I went back to the link you provided (which I used before) and followed the instructions explicitly. My macro is now running with the recommended garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk and I downloaded the recommended POI Loader from that thread. Still same thing ... not showing up on the main map ... only shows up when I select one specifically from the Custom POI list.

Funny thing is ... from Florida to Illinois it was working perfectly ... alerts and all ... when I had the darn things listed in my Favorites as well as the Custom POI folder. Perhaps that's the key? However, I don't know how I got them into Favorites in the first place!

I have a nuvi 205, and it does show the caches on the map. the are lilsted in the extra's folder. it may be a caracteristic of that model.

Thanks for the input Carlos1787, but it's something to do with the way the folders are looked at? As I said, one day it worked, next day it didn't. Must have something to do with the POI Loader? Nope ... don't think so ... POIs and descriptions and alerts are in there but cannot be seen on the front driving map .... even though they were there before I left Florida. <sigh>

I think it has something to do with the "Favorites" folder. Maybe I should put all the POIs into the Favorites folder? .... but then I'm back to square one in trying to delete them after I've used the POI file and updated it for another route or area.

Why can't life and Garmins be simple?

Maybe I should try the Pilotsnipes macro?

What's the difference between that one and the JJreds macro?

Still can't get the cache icons to show up on the front screen map

:D

just a thought, check the way your map is displayed. the icons show up on mine in the "track up" and "north up" modes, but do not show up if I use 3D mode.

as far as the diferences between the 2 macros, JJreds macro divides the chaches up by type (puts them in different folders,) on the garmin, and pilotsnipes puts them all into one folder.

hope this helps

just a thought, check the way your map is displayed. the icons show up on mine in the "track up" and "north up" modes, but do not show up if I use 3D mode.

as far as the diferences between the 2 macros, JJreds macro divides the chaches up by type (puts them in different folders,) on the garmin, and pilotsnipes puts them all into one folder.

hope this helps

Thanks for the input.

It's just kinda strange that most folks would use the 3D mode since it is the default, and it would be most useful if downloaded POIs showed up there.

Anyone know how to do that .... apart from just loading the GSK file directly into Favorites and not use the POI loader function?

hope this helps

Thanks for the input.

It's just kinda strange that most folks would use the 3D mode since it is the default, and it would be most useful if downloaded POIs showed up there.

Anyone know how to do that .... apart from just loading the GSK file directly into Favorites and not use the POI loader function?

EDIT: Track Up and North Up don't work either. The caches just don't show up unless I see an alert (yes, I'm getting those) or are sitting near a cache and look at the details via the Tour Guide function. Something is amiss.

Edited by M'Lord and m'lady