Bookmarks

Penguin_ar

This question is inspired by a topic about not wanting one's cache in a challenge here.

I know how bookmarks work on my computer, but how exactly do they work on geocaching? It seems that bookmarks here are public, and anyone can see them, not just hte person who bookmarks a cache? So if someone bookmarks a cache for their own enjoyment/ to remember it, this shows up as a bookmark on the cache's "homepage", from where you can also see all the other bookmarked caches in that list? I think unless the bookmark is entitled "stupid caches" that would be kinda cool, it means someone likes the cache I hid and/ or uses it for a challenge, but also find ait a bit strange that other cachers can see my bookmarks.

This question is inspired by a topic about not wanting one's cache in a challenge here.

I know how bookmarks work on my computer, but how exactly do they work on geocaching? It seems that bookmarks here are public, and anyone can see them, not just hte person who bookmarks a cache? So if someone bookmarks a cache for their own enjoyment/ to remember it, this shows up as a bookmark on the cache's "homepage", from where you can also see all the other bookmarked caches in that list? I think unless the bookmark is entitled "stupid caches" that would be kinda cool, it means someone likes the cache I hid and/ or uses it for a challenge, but also find ait a bit strange that other cachers can see my bookmarks.

Bookmarks can have 3 levels of visibility. They can be fully visible (that's when they show up on cache pages). They can be secret-but-viewable. They don't show up on cache pages, and the owner has to give you the URL in order for you to view it. And they can be fully secret, viewable only by the owner.

If people just make their bookmarks secret-but-viewable, the cache owner will never know his cache is being used in a challenge. The finder just emails the bookmark URL to the challenge owner.