What is your Swag Bag ?

C@H

I have been looking for a swag bag for geocaching. I currently use a swag vest

from scottevest and I find it works great for a few caches but when you start to need more items like more pens, spare note books, tape measure, torch, quick drop micro cache etc etc etc it does not fit the bill. So what have you people got for a swag bag ?

I tried using a small size backpack (daypack) and it was just to annoying putting it on and off, I tried a small over the shoulder bag and found it too small. I use my blackwolf messenger bag and found it just that little too big.

So how do you carry your swag ?

Well, am I hiking to the cache, hitting a park and grab from in Team Redsky's van, or hitting urban micros on the bike?

In option 1: I have a tactical vest that I use instead of a backpack. It has a pocket for just about everything. and I carry more than enough extra stuff in it that.. I never need, but am glad I have just in case.

In option 2: I usually have the tac vest with me, but I'll just grab a few things from it for the PnG. Sometimes it's just my backpack though (which is in the van when caching due to having my laptop in it)

in option 3: I have a small black box that goes on my bike rack as a trunk. Need to either obtain a new box or make some modifications to this one..

I'm pretty loaded down when I'm hiking/caching. But I don't really feel like it's a true hike without at least 40-50 pounds on my back. I use a Kelty FC 3.0 child carrier pack for the bulk of my items. It holds the little one comfortably, plus has two large storage areas. The removable backpack is where I store my swag. I also wear a hip pack up front. This is where I store my camera and Glock 27. My german shepherd also comes along, so I've been looking at buying a K-9 pack for him. My girlfriend's job is to carry the water and dog dish and snacks in an over-the-shoulder bag. My partner goes through a lot of water on a hike, so we carry roughly 8-10 pounds for all of us.

For a quick 3-4 cache tour, I always have some small swag in my handbag (coloured dice, crystals, baseball cards, Irish coins, pathtags). That is also useful for when I can grab a cache in the fly while waiting somewhere, and had not intended to go caching.

For longer hikes/ walks, I add to that a couple of paperback books and maybe a cuddly toy or cheap piece of jewellery, but I tend to keep my swag small as most caches aren't very large. I bring either the diaper bag (when my twins are with me), and thus have plenty of space between the diaper bag and the stroller trays, or I bring a small backpack which will also contain a bottle of water and some snacks.

I have been looking for a swag bag for geocaching. I currently use a swag vest

from scottevest and I find it works great for a few caches but when you start to need more items like more pens, spare note books, tape measure, torch, quick drop micro cache etc etc etc it does not fit the bill. So what have you people got for a swag bag ?

I tried using a small size backpack (daypack) and it was just to annoying putting it on and off, I tried a small over the shoulder bag and found it too small. I use my blackwolf messenger bag and found it just that little too big.

So how do you carry your swag ?

I use to carry a daybag/backpack type of bag, but it got a little cumbersome after a while.

I finally found something that works great - a tactical bag I purchased from a local army supply store.

It's got plenty of compartments/pouches and a divider for the larger center compartment.

Works great for me because I can either put the strap over my shoulder or around my neck with one arm through the strap so I can push it around to my back out of the way.

PhenixTacticalBag01.jpg

I purchased it at a place called "Ranger Joe's" here in Columbus, GA. They cater to the local army base - Fort Benning.

The link is straight to the bag.

I have used a daypack and/or large lubar pack for years but I recently got this bag and I am liking it a lot: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tactical-Utility-Shoul...%3A1%7C294%3A50

I like this one! I think I'm going to have to get another bag!

I just ordered the same one except mine will be in multi camo. It should be here this week.

Just ordered the "Molle Utility Shoulder Waist Pouch Bag Coyote Brown". :laughing:

Shipping was a bit high (kind of), but over all, everything was good.

This should come in very handy out caching though! :)

Edited by wkmccall