Spoil YOUR OWN puzzles here

I have some puzzles that people are very annoyed with:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... GC1ZZZZ

More Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... GC2335G

Pay it Forward / lemon16 GC24MBA

31425 GC26MK7

If you email me this code: 65WHZV, I will tell you whatever you would like to know about any of the above puzzles (within reason). One clue per cacher, please.

The topic for this thread: "a thread where owners of puzzle caches lay out the answers to their puzzles", not a thread where owners give out clues to their puzzles if you send in the boxtop. Edited by knowschad

I have one with directions to the area where the puzzle is marked followed by a list of 26 coords within a mile or so of the area. The trick is to look through the directions text and see which of the 26 letters is missing then use the corresponding coord. You could theoretically check all the coords, but there would be 25, all legitimate places, you could look and not know for sure if you are missing it or not.

GC23F4Q - Cache Name:

The idea behind this cache was a puzzle where to find the coordinates to the final location, you had to hack in to the users account, go to the cache page, and click “waypoints” to view the coordinates to the final cache. Once on the "waypoints" page, I added in the description of the Final waypoint: CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HACKED MY ACCOUNT! CACHE IS A PRESCRIPTION BOTTLE LPC! NOW LOG OUT AND GO FIND IT!" Obviously, this cache was, at best, experimental, and there were some inherent problems with the idea:

1. I couldn’t put the cache under my own account for I didn’t want someone trying to hack in to my "simpjkee" account. This was easily avoidable for I could create a new geocaching account. Additionally, when the time came, I could adopt the cache to my real account and archive it.

2. If the geocaching public was able to get in to the owners account, they could also change the password and/or e-mail address which would render the cache useless. This I had no solution for. I merely assumed that when someone solved the puzzle and got the final coordinates, they would write them down and then log off, as directed, to find the cache, sign the log, and log the cache as found under their own account. I admit, it may have been naiive to think this, but I assumed that as we expect members of the geocaching community to "help" the owner protect the integrity of the physical caches by stealth, etc. that I could also assume that cachers would "help" me protect the integrity of this "virtual" cache by only writing down the coords and logging off.

After giving the idea much thought (a weeks worth at least), I knew that if I was to place this cache, I could not control it’s fate and I was content accepting the fact that, once placed, I had to let go of sole ownership of the cache to the solvers of the puzzle and just watch what happens. If it were to be sabotaged, I would not be disappointed for there was nothing I could do to prevent it. Having come to grips with this, I decided to place the cache.

Even though I knew that logs would be few and far between, I felt that the cache and owners profile pages created enough of a pattern that people would be able to solve it.

Cache Name: = Cache Name:

Short Description: = Short Description:

Long Description: = Long Description:

Hints/Spoiler Info: = Hints/Spoiler Info:

Additionally,

Username: = Username:

Profile Information: = Profile Information:

Following this pattern I felt it would make sense to assume that Password: = Password:

I felt that this was enough of a pattern that I could deviate from it the two times I felt it necessary:

1. For “Who Placed The Cache:” I wrote Username:, only because I wanted people to see on the cache page that the pattern involved the cache owner himself and not just the cache.

2. In the beginning, for “Profile Information:” I wrote a quote from The Shawshank Redemption where Andy Dufresne explains that he created a person from his imagination. I did this because I wanted cachers to know that, even though he placed the cache the day he created his account, Username: was by no means a new cacher. Instead, he was a sock puppet account created from the imagination of an experienced cacher. I did not want other experienced cachers logging notes or SBA’s on the cache page accusing Username: of being a noob and submitting an unsolvable puzzle.

On January 29th, the cache was published. After a few days without a find, I decided that the puzzle needed to be made a little easier. I began to post one note a day in order to help steer cachers toward the solution. Since this puzzle was obviously different than most puzzle caches, I thought that cachers might never catch on. On Feb. 3rd, I posted the last of my hint notes and from the hints in the note, the cache received it's first finders.

The next day, on February 4th, I woke and found a string of log deletion notices in my e-mail inbox from the Username: account. I attempted to log in to the Username: account, but was unsuccessful. It was then that I knew that the inevitable had become reality. Someone had solved the puzzle and changed the password and e-mail address associated with the Username: account. To this I was neither surprised nor disappointed for I knew all along that this was a possible result.

However, one thing did surprise and disappoint me. In all the planning and thought I put into this idea, it had never once occurred to me that the valid finds, DNFs, and notes logged on the cache would be deleted as well. I'm not sure why I had never considered it. I assure everyone that I would never delete a valid log. Had I realized that this could happen, I would never have let this idea exit my imagination. To the cachers who had their logs deleted, I take full responsibility and apologize.

After the cache was rendered useless, I retrieved the container and began the process of getting the cache archived. Since I knew this was a possible outcome, I saved the "Cache Submitted" and "Cache Published" e-mails so that I could prove I was the true owner of the cache. With proof of ownership of both accounts, I attempted to have the cache listing transferred from the account "Username:" to the account "simpjkee", but this was not possible. Therefor, at my request, I had the cache archived and locked to prevent any future logs on it.

I think this idea was a great idea on paper, but not in practice. In order for it to work, it would definitely need to be tweaked for increased security for the owner and cachers who post logs on it. I am completely unaware of a method for doing that so I will not be recreating this hide. If anyone out there can improve on this idea and make it work, I would love nothing more than to see that happen. Good luck!

Long, but intresting post here.

Holy moley! Those are the kind of puzzle I dream about. Better then the ones that require you to do some insane math problem that has been outdated for the last 400 years and the last written record of how to do such problems are written in latin and hidden so far into a website that has over two thousand other similair problems... That really was a great idea for a cache! The only way to not have it ruined is with honor rules, and this is the internet, honor rules don't apply.

EDIT: How did that get approved? Did you not explain what you were doing to the reviewer?

Edited by Coldgears
Long, but intresting post here.

Holy moley! Those are the kind of puzzle I dream about. Better then the ones that require you to do some insane math problem that has been outdated for the last 400 years and the last written record of how to do such problems are written in latin and hidden so far into a website that has over two thousand other similair problems... That really was a great idea for a cache! The only way to not have it ruined is with honor rules, and this is the internet, honor rules don't apply.

EDIT: How did that get approved? Did you not explain what you were doing to the reviewer?

I did not explain it to the reviewer. Not that I was hiding anything. There was just nothing to explain. The cache and idea was within all the guidelines.

31425 GC26MK7

If you email me this code: 65WHZV, I will tell you whatever you would like to know about any of the above puzzles (within reason). One clue per cacher, please.

The topic for this thread: "a thread where owners of puzzle caches lay out the answers to their puzzles", not a thread where owners give out clues to their puzzles if you send in the boxtop.

My intention was to give out a clue that pretty much spoils the whole thing. I use the code to verify that someone has found it legitimately. But I guess I won't do that since some people have such a big problem with it.

31425 GC26MK7

The topic for this thread: "a thread where owners of puzzle caches lay out the answers to their puzzles", not a thread where owners give out clues to their puzzles if you send in the boxtop.

My intention was to give out a clue that pretty much spoils the whole thing. I use the code to verify that someone has found it legitimately. But I guess I won't do that since some people have such a big problem with it.

I am only one person, not "some people", Lemon16, and even I didn't have "such a big problem" with it.

31425 GC26MK7

I am only one person, not "some people", Lemon16, and even I didn't have "such a big problem" with it.

If you "don't have such a big problem with it" you shouldn't complain about it. By doing so you made me and anyone who may have wanted a clue for those puzzles hate you. It seems to me that "someone" (not "some people") dislikes puzzle caches and is trying to discourage them, after all why else would you be looking for the answers here. Think about it, would anyone really be stupid enough to just give away the answers to their puzzle caches? (unless of course the cache is archived). It certainly makes a lot more sense to give away clues than to explain how the puzzle works for all the lazy people out there. Geocaching is intended to be fun, and where is the fun if you can avoid solving puzzles by looking up the answers in the forums?

GC1JE4W One More Round Barkeeper

This is a keyword cipher, the trick is that you have to decode twice (One More Round).

The keywords are the Title of the cache and the GC code (the GC code stripped of numerals - just the Alpha).

Greenjack solved it sans clue in a couple of days, impressive. He's never logged the find online though.

I tried to obfuscate letter counts by wording the message without repeating letters in some words and phrases and avoiding common usage.

Thanks for the cool thread! :)

Tony

31425 GC26MK7

If you "don't have such a big problem with it" you shouldn't complain about it. By doing so you made me and anyone who may have wanted a clue for those puzzles hate you. It seems to me that "someone" (not "some people") dislikes puzzle caches and is trying to discourage them, after all why else would you be looking for the answers here. Think about it, would anyone really be stupid enough to just give away the answers to their puzzle caches? (unless of course the cache is archived). It certainly makes a lot more sense to give away clues than to explain how the puzzle works for all the lazy people out there. Geocaching is intended to be fun, and where is the fun if you can avoid solving puzzles by looking up the answers in the forums?

"Hate me"? LOL! No hyperbole going on here, is there? :)

"would anyone really be stupid enough to just give away the answers to their puzzle caches?" Yes. That is exactly what this thread is all about, why it was created, and what I was trying to point out. The very name of this thread is "Spoil YOUR OWN puzzles here", not "Email me and I will provide a clue".

By the way, I also gave away a puzzle cache of my own on page 1. I don't do many puzzles, but I don't hate them.

My puzzle cache is the Car Logo Mystery Cache.

You need to determine the car company for each logo and substitute the first letter of each company name (A=1, B=2, etc) to determine the coordinates BUT the logos are not in order. You need to park your cursor on each logo to determine which position each represents. The best source for determining the logo with associated company is the Purple Hell website's Car Logo page. The challenge was to find logos without a name on them.

Would anyone really be stupid enough to just give away the answers to their puzzle caches?

Apparently so. I'm not going to reread the thread, but if memory serves, I posted the solutions to every puzzle I own. I'm not much of a control freak, and as such, I really don't care how someone finds one of my caches, so long as they enjoyed the journey. If someone's idea of fun is solving puzzles, more power to them! If not, more power to them, too! If it ever stops being fun, take up knitting.

If you'll read my original post, you'll see that the intention here is to provide real-world examples instead of just general puzzle help. It is also to spread ideas for puzzle caches. It was not meant to be a repository for clues for specific caches.

I expected most responses to involve archived caches, but some people have chosen to describe their active caches. Please don't call anyone "stupid" for choosing to do so.

Edited by Dinoprophet

My only puzzle cache so far, is based on the spelling of numbers from zero through to nine,

Each word ends in two unique letters.

zeRO

oNE

tWO

ThrEE

FoUR

FiVE

sIX

sevEN

eigHT

niNE

URN,ERO,NTR,ONE,ESN,EUR,NES,TRO,WOE,NNT,EEW,OES,VEE,ETH

Easy or hard enough depending on your viewpoint, but a couple of redherrings and having the actual sequence of numbers laid out backwards makes for an evil cache. (splitting into groups of three with the commas really didn't help either) the only finders so far have had hints or been apparently associated with those that have had hints.

Please let me know if you use this as i'm interested in how far this idea may spread.

[The cache page said: At the listed coordinates you will find an object that will help you decipher the puzzle. The cache is located at:

42 in.aca

71 aa.tcf

If you went to the historic school and looked around, you could see several signs that said "Caution Falling Ice." To decipher it, C=1, A=2, U=3 and so on. The signs were bright yellow and the hint was "yellow". Renovations removed the signs so I archived the cache. ]

Thanks for sharing your puzzle. That gives me an idea to take a hide I'm planning to a new level ;)

Cache on,

Sunny Arkfam

Would anyone really be stupid enough to just give away the answers to their puzzle caches?

Apparently so. I'm not going to reread the thread, but if memory serves, I posted the solutions to every puzzle I own. I'm not much of a control freak, and as such, I really don't care how someone finds one of my caches, so long as they enjoyed the journey. If someone's idea of fun is solving puzzles, more power to them! If not, more power to them, too! If it ever stops being fun, take up knitting.

Knitting is no fun.

Here are two of mine. A Tribute to Longnamers

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c1d9758e-1c14-4e04-b4e7-f2ab4deba8c1

Just use the first letter or letters of each last name and then cross reference to the periodic table. Minnesota is the north. Seattle is the west.

So, Baumgartner = B or Ba and Berylium ( B ) is a likely start of 4. Etc etc.

Irreconciable Differences

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e325b79f-50d6-4965-9a95-1112f275420a

Each sentence in the angry letter refers to a Monty Python sketch that has something counted. For example, the first one "Its over, I don't care how many different types of trees you dream of leaping on in British Columbia". If you go online and find that sketch (in this case, the Lumberjack sketch) on a webpage, it refers to 4 kinds of trees (the larch, the spruce, the fir, the mighty scotch pine). Do each line like that. Only one sentence forces you to actually watch the sketch, which is the Fish Slapping Dance.

Voila, two of mine. Have no problem ever giving someone help on any of my puzzles and most likely if you see me in person, you will get an instant solve on my favorite puzzle..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=def6f62b-f8c5-494e-be66-93aa6b53ab18

Edited by lamoracke

I'm not going to spoiler all my puzzle caches, because some people who solved them under their own steam might resent it a little.

But here's one that doesn't get found often enough and no doubt baffles most who look at it;

The Geeks.

The puzzle is pretty simple. The artwork is a painting called "The Geeks", by Cy Twombly. The painting is irrelevant except to indicate the artist in question.

The cache is GC2M669. The hint starts you off ("Gee, Cy...!"). So, take it phonetically and you get "Gee, C, Two, M, 669". The missing numbers in the coordinates are "BLY", so a little thought should reveal that BLY is 669 ("Gee, C, Two, m, bly". Just by chance the west and north coordinates have the same last three digits so that's all you need.

The only slight difficulty was for me having to arrange the GC code to spell the name and also have useful numbers in it!