Your favorite stats

The answer is 46! :) Found DNFs (We found it and the previous person didn't.) The many different agencies that are listed, should give us all a pause for thought. If the pros can't find them, and we can.... :laughing:

Now look close at the first 6 lines of our chart. They are the 2 top benchmarkers on Holographs GC statistic page. I am very honored to be able to say that we found those certain ones.

48bd4fff-d33a-4e7c-b9c1-d5192652f037.jpg

FTFs are fun also......that number is 260!

Oh, we cannot forget our Pre-1900 monumented marks that we found. That number is 21!

So - lay it on us. Just what are your favorite stats?

My stats are here. This doesn't include my last trip, however. My favorite stats are the "FNF" - what you called a "Found DNF" (I call it a Found Not-Found, mainly for GSAK's case). Other than that, don't really have anything particularly PROUD of, but I kinda like my Altitude statistics, located near the bottom of the page. :)

Very cool, tho! :laughing:

[Edit: Learned to spell!]

Edited by foxtrot_xray

We don't pay attention to numbers. But the ones that give us an absolute thrill are those that have not been found since monumentation (if UNK monumentation date - then the first log) and have not been searched for. QM0666 QM0669

I know we don't have many of these finds, but they definitely are the ones that will get us doing the first to recover dance!

My favorite is correcting a significant error on the NGS data sheet. I would call Will's favorite of disproving Found logs, or finding one logged NF a close second.

The more interesting ones include:

-Set of 3 reset marks that were measured from non-NGS marks but were calculated from NGS marks in another county.

-Published data sheet had adjusted coordinates of non-published temporary point instead of disk.

-Reset mark had listed coordinates two counties from original.

-Two data sheets for same mark, one with coordinate off one degree, with VERTCON value therefore wrong.

-Two data sheets for same mark, NSRS2007 coordinates different by 0.6 meter (under investigation by NGS).

My favorites are what I call "Lazarus Logs", which are stations whose datasheets were previously unpublished due to lack of a description, but which got published when I provided one.

The first one ("KU3929 - LONG IS CTY LOFT CDY CO TANK") was actually a mistake. I had made a list of the New York City counties (boroughs) and just took the whole list from the NOAA web site (not the datasheets, the list) and put it into a spread sheet. Lat and long were given to .1 sec so it was close enough for searching. I saw the building in Queens (near the Queensboro Bridge) and sure enough there was a water tank on the roof (not uncommon in NYC) so I logged it with the NGS. Then I went to log on GC and it wasn't there. So I went back to check the datasheet and found it was non-published! So I promptly forgot about it for about 3 years. Then last year when I realized these things could be brought back to life (hence "Lazarus") I went back and checked and there it was with the description provided by yours truly.

The best is probably "MY2668 - PINE TREE MONUMENT" (see: this thread))

But "MY4691 - NAHANT BORDEN 1834" is pretty cool too. It was non-published, but folks have been finding it for over a hundred years, and logging it to another station about a mile away: "MY4736 - NAHANT 1846". It seems the original descriptions were mixed up and folks just kept logging it to the wrong datasheet. Now with Google maps, you can't get away with that. So I figured out what had happened and told the NGS folks and they fixed it up (see this thread).

Unfortunately the mark was probably destroyed when a new house was built close by. Too bad, it was one of the earliest marks in Massachusetts and it marked the highest point in Nahant, a toney neighborhood north of Boston. The other one it was mixed up with is probably gone too. Paul (pgrig) and I looked for them both and Paul may go back, but they're probably a lost cause.

I haven't kept track of these separately but these are the ones I remember - mostly 19th century boundary monuments and copper bolts.

My list of "Lazarus Logs":

1/12/2005 KU3929 - LONG IS CTY LOFT CDY CO TANK

8/13/2008 MY2668 - PINE TREE MONUMENT

7/17/2008 MY3831 - WATATICK

7/17/2008 MY2668 - WATATICK STATE LINE

8/13/2008 MY2668 - PINE TREE MONUMENT

4/18/2009 MY2539 - BRANDYBROW MONUMENT 1834

4/18/2009 MY2669 - POPLAR HILL STONE MONUMENT

4/19/2009 MY4691 - NAHANT BORDEN 1834

4/19/2009 MY4736 - NAHANT 1846

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC