Magellan meridian color HELP

Hi all we're just getting into geocaching and I bought a magellan color that looks like new for $25.00 it has the cables and book but thats it, I went to magellan's site and they have a firmware update for it which I downloaded, I bought a serial to usb adapter so I can get it uploaded to my gps so I think it will be ok once I get this done. My problem is the base map is horrid I would like to find something which shows a little bit more detail, everything I find it says it won't work with the color. Where can I find some sort of better map for the magellan color

I think "Mapsend Directroute" is compatible with your mericolor. I have it for my merigold - this is a street map program that is loaded onto a SD card. It is an old program that if I remember right, needs a patch from Magellan to run on Windows XP. I just looked on evilbay & there are 3 avalable.

Well I got the usb to serial adapter installed the drivers and got mapsend lite from magellan, set the baud rate and com port but I just can't get my pc to find the gps for anything I've tried a bunch of different baud rates, com ports and NEMA settings but nothing I do gets mapsend to recognize my gps. Anybody have any suggestions cause I would really like to be able to just upload the waypoints to the gps.

Well I got the usb to serial adapter installed the drivers and got mapsend lite from magellan, set the baud rate and com port but I just can't get my pc to find the gps for anything I've tried a bunch of different baud rates, com ports and NEMA settings but nothing I do gets mapsend to recognize my gps. Anybody have any suggestions cause I would really like to be able to just upload the waypoints to the gps.

I upload my maps and geocaches to my Meri-gold through the SD card/ card reader.

I spent a lot of time to connect any meridian to MapSend Lite , nothing , I connected my explorist 100 thru usb cable I bought on eBay and this way works great. I did try with explorist 600 and also works good. Im sure MapSend Lite doesn't SEE any meridians.

Those serial-to-USB converters can be a royal pain to get working right.. Perhaps it's easier to just use a serial connection?

I recently built a new PC and even the new motherboard I used still has serial and parallel headers on the board,, all that is needed is the rear chassis interface plate which (if you can find one..) should only be around $5-10, probablyl the same cost as the serial-to-USB cable converter