Memorial caches

annielou264

I want to place a geocache at the site of a memorial on Forest Service land. My questions is should I get permission from the family of the man who perished prior to placing the geocache? I want to use his story in the description of the cache so people know who they are hiking and looking for. BUT..I don't want to offend the family. Any suggestions? Should I just place it or ask for a blessing from the family?

Do they own the memorial? If so I would certainly ask. Even if they don't it might be a nice gesture, but they would really have no say in the matter, so that would be your call.

It's probably best to hide it a short distance away in any event, rather than on it.

Edited by briansnat

I want to place a geocache at the site of a memorial on Forest Service land. My questions is should I get permission from the family of the man who perished prior to placing the geocache? I want to use his story in the description of the cache so people know who they are hiking and looking for. BUT..I don't want to offend the family. Any suggestions? Should I just place it or ask for a blessing from the family?

I would try to get the permission. It might also depend on when he died (recent or 100 years ago), and also if he was a historical public figure. I guess ultimately it would not be important enough to me if it might offend or hurt the family.

Just out of curiosity... is the memorial maintained by the forest service? Maybe they want the attention, and would welcome the cache to help further educate people about him.

Let us know how it works out.