Garmin Oregon with InvisibleShield

OK, so I know these forums are riddled with questions about the InvisibleShield, but there seems no better place to ask, especially when so many people know about the one for the Garmin Oregon.

My question is quite simply, how long until all the air bubbles finally disappear?

I had one shield which was a complete disaster for me, partly because it got damp in the post on the way here, and I contacted Zagg who were more than helpful in sending me another for free. I had had a bit of experience with the first one by then, so I knew the best way to fit it was underwater. I've done this and the results are spectacular except for the remaining air bubbles (don't ask how when it's under water, but as soon as the shield went underwater, it gathered a huge quantity of them from the water; presumably dissolved gases which liked the sticky of the shield). It's been around 3 weeks now and although I'm pretty convinced they're going slowly, there are still plenty left. It's not a big deal as they're practically unnoticeable when the backlight is on, but they do catch the sun quite a bit and can be a little distracting at times. Are we talking another week, another month or even another year or never?

Cheers,

Stuart

I've installed no less than 10 of them in the past and have had no problems with bubbles. If you spray the lens real well and soak the shield you should have no problems. The trick is to be sure all the bubbles are squeegeed out. I then go over the shield with a damp cloth and press out what's left. I you have big bubbles in there after a couple of days you are stuck with them. I wouldn't use water though. Windex works pretty well if you don't have enough spray. I hope that helps...

I've personally have had no problem with the invisible shield, as was said previously, make sure you clean the screen well, and squeeze out the air when your are applying it and remeber to keep it flat. Unfortunatly if you still have air bubbles are a few days, you will have to remove it and start again with a fresh clean Shield.

An InvisibleShield sales rep mentioned a clever way to PERFECTLY apply the product with no bubbles at all.

Do the whole job under water. Fill the kitchen sink "wrist-deep" and add a little clear dish soap.

Obviously not an option for cellphone, but great for a waterproof GPS :laughing:

Edited by lee_rimar

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm pretty sure they are going away with time. I read somewhere that the invisible shield is slightly gas permeable so over time the air should come through. They're really not bad enough to warrant removing it and starting again. The alignment is perfect which is quite a challenge with the Oregon and the InvisibleShield. I did try to squeegee out the bubbles, but they wouldn't all move. The sticky is quite powerful!!

I did apply it under water as lee_rimar recommends. I had read that hint somewhere as well. Unfortunately, the water in my area is quite hard and contains a lot of dissolved gasses which instantly start to form on the outside of the shield and screen when underwater.

Oh well, I'll just keep leaving it because it's not irritating enough to worry about.

Cheers!!

Hmm, if hard water/mineral deposits are the issue, then perhaps a jug of distilled water is in order?

I'm probably ordering an InvisibleShield for my O300 soon, based on this feedback I'm considering distilled water + using my hand vacuum pump to degas it. (Distilled water can still have dissolved gases.)

Edited by Entropy512

I did apply it under water as lee_rimar recommends. I had read that hint somewhere as well. Unfortunately, the water in my area is quite hard and contains a lot of dissolved gasses which instantly start to form on the outside of the shield and screen when underwater.

You could try filling your sink with hot water and letting it sit several hours until cool, or heating a pot of water on the stove and letting it cool to room temperature in the sink. The combination of heat and time will allow dissolved gases to escape the water. It won't affect the hardness though; you'd need to use distilled water to take care of that.