Colorado makes sense with 24K maps

http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/24Kmaps/twofourmaps.html

I've had a 60CSx for a while and other than poor resolution, haven't had many issues.

Now I see Colorado offers bigger display with great resolution but it seems that to take advantage of that you really need 24K maps.

Now given the fact that 24K maps are not available for Eastern US, it doesn't make sense to get a Colorado, since you cannot really take full advantage of its capabilities.

And what's up with weird Garmin policy that the maps will only be available on the card? I would like to view them on the PC, like I do now, check waypoints, etc.

If they don't change this policy, I probably won't upgrade from 60CSx.

Edited by dictum9

I agree that the gpsfiledepot maps are a great free alternative to paying the high prices for the Garmin maps. However, if you want autorouting trailmaps at 24K scale, and you want to take advantage of the Colorado/Oregon's ability to display shaded relief, you have to use the Garmin's maps.

Note that DVDs for the new 24K topo maps are being released, but they are lagging behind the SD card releases.

Topo 2008 (included on some Colorados) has DEM shading; these will show through the free maps.

Some maps on gpsfiledepot have screenshots; others don't. The ones I myself produce have screenshots and ones that I've touched to make installers or whatnot.

Autorouting I can do nothing about; way too expensive to get cgpsmapper for autorouting.

. However, if you want autorouting trailmaps at 24K scale, and you want to take advantage of the Colorado/Oregon's ability to display shaded relief, you have to use the Garmin's maps.

I got the 24k map for California because I thought autorouting the trails would be fun. However, the maps have less trail data than the standard Garmin topos. In most places where I have hiked, the trail data on the 24k has been virtually nonexistent -- including areas where the standard topo shows fireroads or certain trails. So I generally use the standard topo and save the 24k for when I am offtrail. Trail autorouting is only as good as the trail listings.

The 24k maps can be useful for street routing if you do not have city navigator. I do not need it for this purpose, but I have tried it out and it works fine on my Colorado.

Edited by Erickson

However, the maps have less trail data than the standard Garmin topos.

Well that's dissapointing. Takes away most of the benefit of the autorouting feature, if there are no trails shown. Looks like Garmin is investing a lot of money in a product that isn't worth the high cost. Guess I'll stick with the quite good free maps. Since my 60CSx can't display the DEM shading, the autorouting trails was the only real lure for me.