Logging A "Found It" After A "Didn't Find It"

When you find a cache after you logged it as a "Didn't Find It", do you edit the original log and change it to "Found It" or do you do a new log saying you "Found It" which would now give you two logs for one cache?

New log. By all means, leave the DNF. Don't YOU sometimes look at the number of finds vs DNFs before looking for a cache (or maybe when you get back after DNF'ing a cache))? You don't want to hide that information from future cachers.

Likewise, please don't log one DNF, and then once you find it, write "Stopped by here six times after my first DNF. Finally found it today!" Hey, it happens.

I'm with the log a Found It and keep the original DNF group.

If I saw a 4.5 difficulty cache that I didn't know much about (like while on vacation) and it had no DNFs because people had deleted them after they found it, that would lead me to believe the cache is overrated because not a single person DNFd it.

On the opposite side, if people keep their DNFs and you see a 1.5 difficulty with the same amount of finds as DNFs, that would lead me to believe the cache is underrated or has some other issue.

I also log DNFs every time I visit a cache and can't find it unless I stop back during the day while doing other caches in the area. In that case, I write one DNF and say that I tried a couple times while caching in the area.

Edited by Skippermark
If you found it on the 3rd or 4th try....... do you log 1... 2...3 DNF's ?
My record so far is 6 DNFs before finding the cache. Admittedly, some of the DNFs were rather terse, along the lines of "Another hour searching, another DNF", but I logged them all.

I leave the DNF logs - all part of my Geocaching History and the history of the cache.

Is there any way for me to set my profile so that people who look at me (my friends, for example) can see my DNFs? Some of our experiences not finding caches are quite funny and I'd like it if my friends could follow those as well as my finds.

Carolyn

I leave the DNF logs - all part of my Geocaching History and the history of the cache.

Is there any way for me to set my profile so that people who look at me (my friends, for example) can see my DNFs? Some of our experiences not finding caches are quite funny and I'd like it if my friends could follow those as well as my finds.

Carolyn

You can put them in a bookmark list and make it public.

Carolyn

You can put them in a bookmark list and make it public.

Thank you! I hadn't thought of that. I will make up a bookmark list of caches with amusing or adventurous DNFs and tell my friends where to look in the future.

Carolyn

I keep my DNF logs. They're part of the cache history and fun for others to read. My ego gets a big boost when I find a cache that another cacher DNFd.

I get frustrated as a cache owner when people change their DNF logs on my caches to Found Its when they eventually do find it. I feel that it takes away from the cache story and doesn't accurately show how tricky the cache is. Just my two-cents worth.

When you find a cache after you logged it as a "Didn't Find It", do you edit the original log and change it to "Found It" or do you do a new log saying you "Found It" which would now give you two logs for one cache?

I log DNFs when I can't find it, and then a find when I find it, and even sometimes a DNF after that if I go back with someone and can't find it... I don't log multiple finds, but other then that I pretty much log each visit to a cache..

Yup!!!

...and I should clarify my first statement...when I said "Just Log the Found It"...I meant add a new log to the cache and leave your DNF's alone...as has been pointed out...it is all part of the history of the cache...but more important is that it is part of your history...

I suppose I will add a desenting opinion, even if it is for the off topic discussion. I tend to limit my DNF's to one per cache. I am also stingy with my DNF's. I only log a DNF if I've put enough effort into the cache to believe that it is missing. Otherwise, I just log a note saying I visited and was too stupid, or there where too many muggles to find the cache. I do it this way to try to prevent a cache from being filtered out from searches eliminating DNF's.

On the original topic I agree with everyone else, make a new log reporting your find.

I only log a DNF if I've put enough effort into the cache to believe that it is missing.
If everyone followed that approach, then a cache with a 4-star difficulty rating wound never get a DNF, since you can never be sure that a cache that well hidden is really missing.

Otherwise, I just log a note saying I visited and was too stupid, or there where too many muggles to find the cache.
I'll post a DNS (Did Not Search) as a Note, which covers situations like the one with too many muggles. But if I spent time really searching, then I'll log either a DNF or a Found It.

I do it this way to try to prevent a cache from being filtered out from searches eliminating DNF's.
Have you considered that those who use such searches are trying to filter out caches like the one you couldn't find, and might appreciate a DNF log so their search works the way they intended?
I only log a DNF if I've put enough effort into the cache to believe that it is missing.
If everyone followed that approach, then a cache with a 4-star difficulty rating wound never get a DNF, since you can never be sure that a cache that well hidden is really missing.

This really depends on the cache. I haven't seen all of the possible tricks to hide caches, but when I've run out of the tricks on my list and have searched throughly, I log a DNF. If I am still searching and something interrupts me, then I have no basis for a belief (which is different than certainty) that the cache is missing. I don't want to clutter the log page with that information.

A high difficulty cache does not need a lot of DNF's to communicate that it is hard to find.

Otherwise, I just log a note saying I visited and was too stupid, or there where too many muggles to find the cache.
I'll post a DNS (Did Not Search) as a Note, which covers situations like the one with too many muggles. But if I spent time really searching, then I'll log either a DNF or a Found It.

I assume you only log a "Found It" if you've actually found it. [:laughing:]

I do it this way to try to prevent a cache from being filtered out from searches eliminating DNF's.
Have you considered that those who use such searches are trying to filter out caches like the one you couldn't find, and might appreciate a DNF log so their search works the way they intended?

I am assuming that a person would only filter out caches with recent DNF's to get rid of the ones that are likely to be missing. I don't want a lack of full effort on my part influence their searching. They may be more experienced or just have better luck.

To me, a DNF really needs to communicate to the cache owner and other seekers "there may be something wrong here."

(going off topic a little)

It seems that a fairly high percentage of people dont log DNFs at all. The percentage of people that will log multiple DNFs on the same cache is even smaller.

When I started caching, I was deleting the DNF logs after I found it. Now I realize that I've lost a part of my caching history by doing so. Now I leave the DNFs there and, in fact, I log ALL my DNFs now. I wonder if there's some way to go back and have them re-logged.

Right there with you, now they all get logged seperate from the finds.

(edit for spelling)

Edited by Unkle Fester
To me, a DNF really needs to communicate to the cache owner and other seekers "there may be something wrong here."
To me, a DNF just means that I searched for it, but didn't find it, the same way a Find means that I searched for it, but did find it. A Needs Maintenance, on the other hand, means there's something wrong...

I leave the DNF logs - all part of my Geocaching History and the history of the cache. The old DNF logs are also informative to future visitors - tells them they may have to spend a little more time searching - and thus they can be prepared.

This makes sense. I pay more attention to the found/didn't find ratio then the difficulty.

I leave the DNF logs - all part of my Geocaching History and the history of the cache. The old DNF logs are also informative to future visitors - tells them they may have to spend a little more time searching - and thus they can be prepared.

This makes sense. I pay more attention to the found/didn't find ratio then the difficulty.

To me, a DNF just means that I searched for it, but didn't find it, the same way a Find means that I searched for it, but did find it. A Needs Maintenance, on the other hand, means there's something wrong...

I try to always log my DNFs. To me they mean nothing more than me not finding the cache. I am not so bold and brazen as to think that a cache may be or must be missing just because I couldn't find it.