Puzzle cache I can't figure out

Hmm, it's considered bad form to reveal the solution to a puzzle in here, all the more when the cache owner is actlvely responding to e-mails.

I noticed that you have not found any puzzle caches before (or, at least, not logged them). I suggest keeping this in the back of your mind for a while and taking another look at it in a week or two. I've had some where I finally saw the light after months, and some where I'm still in the dark about.

All I can say regarding this one is, based on the other puzzles I've done, I feel it is rated correctly.

Yeah. Looks like it.

Have you asked the cache owner for a hint yet?

Yes. He gave a hint but I still can't get anywhere.

FYI, it's not considered good form to ask for hints in the forums. Just sayin'....

Where did I ask for a hint? I was just sharing. And I've gotten a lot more caches than my numbers reflect. I find them for my own pleasure and have stopped logging them.

Yeah. Looks like it.

Have you asked the cache owner for a hint yet?

Yes. He gave a hint but I still can't get anywhere.

FYI, it's not considered good form to ask for hints in the forums. Just sayin'....

Except for that time when someone asked, and got about 10 spoiler hints from 10 different people, which sparked a thread asking if it was still considered bad form. :grin:

No matter, the cache owner is a regular participant of this forum, and will probably be along soon.

ETA: I'm not asking for help. I know there are those here who enjoy a good puzzle so I thought I'd share.

In that case...

It means : don't go to the Marie Callendar's, the cache is outside Office Depot.

Disclaimer : that is a joke, it has absolutely nothing to do with the solution, or the location.And, as far as I know, does not help in solving the puzzle at all.

This is my first puzzle cache and I really thought it was going to be too simple.

I think you rated it just right - and it's different from other puzzles I've solved, which makes it interesting.. If it had been published on a different day, it would have given another clue, but possibly made it too obvious to some people. Too bad it had to be so far from me - from the log, looks like I might have a good shot at FTF too :P I too tried to do it from memory, but as you already know, my memory is less than perfect :grin:

Cache owner here. This is my first puzzle cache and I really thought it was going to be too simple. I've had several people email the correct answer but a lot of request for hints.

Oh, and rjb43nh, that's pretty impressive!

Kudos on a clever first puzzle - love it! :grin: While I don't have a memory for these things, still solved it in under two minutes. Wish I still lived down there!

I just solved it but I think it's because I'm taking a calculus class right now. Otherwise I never would have gotten it.

I've never understood why it is "bad form" to ask for help with a puzzle. If two people work on it together and the puzzle is solved, thats the end of it. No one forces forum members to help, if you don't want to help solve a puzzle thats fine just leave that topic alone.

I have a puzzle cache and the FTF didn't even solve the puzzle. He when near the posted coordinates and looked for good spots to hide.

This is a very well done simple puzzle involving one of my favorite subjects which allowed me to do it quickly from memory.

So, do we get a hint? :grin:

I've been looking at a puzzle lately where the CO took an interesting approach. He takes questions which can be answered with a simple yes or no offline, the posts the question and answer as a note in the logs. It was published about a month and a half ago and it doesn't look like any is close to solving it (it's rated 5 stars for difficulty) I have an idea of what's involved but since I already asked a question today I'll need to figure out how to phrase the question so the answer will tell me what I need to know.

I just solved it but I think it's because I'm taking a calculus class right now. Otherwise I never would have gotten it.

I've never understood why it is "bad form" to ask for help with a puzzle. If two people work on it together and the puzzle is solved, thats the end of it. No one forces forum members to help, if you don't want to help solve a puzzle thats fine just leave that topic alone.

I have a puzzle cache and the FTF didn't even solve the puzzle. He when near the posted coordinates and looked for good spots to hide.

It's bad form in the forums because then there's a permanent record here of the solution for anyone to find. It's a little different than a cheat website, but not a whole lot.

Took me about five minutes. I thought I had extra info too, but then I looked again.

This is a very well done simple puzzle involving one of my favorite subjects which allowed me to do it quickly from memory.

I've been looking at a puzzle lately where the CO took an interesting approach. He takes questions which can be answered with a simple yes or no offline, the posts the question and answer as a note in the logs. It was published about a month and a half ago and it doesn't look like any is close to solving it (it's rated 5 stars for difficulty) I have an idea of what's involved but since I already asked a question today I'll need to figure out how to phrase the question so the answer will tell me what I need to know.

Like the old 20 questions game?

The top picture won't do you much good until you figure out how to use the bottom one.

OK, got that part figured out. thanks! I usually do that... didn't even think of it this time.

Geez

Qba'g ***gur ***

didn't give it away?

:grin:

Yeah, I think so. I believe I know what I would need to do, but as I said... I'm not a puzzle guy generally. I like to understand the general concepts, don't like the grunt-work part of some of them, and that's where I think this one is leading me.

It's rated more or less right. There has been a tendencey in our area of late to under-rate puzzles, IMO. If the puzzle is at all decent (and this one is) I tend never to go under 3 stars. Which is what I would rate this one. But 2.5 stars is not far off the mark.

And people, please quit giving hints in the forums to show how smart you think you are!

Here.

very frustrating...

ETA: I'm not asking for help. I know there are those here who enjoy a good puzzle so I thought I'd share.

oooh, I would have done this one in a heartbeat. Too bad I live 2,000 miles away. I would have just gone to the parking coordinates to see if those pictures made any more sense.

Here.

very frustrating...

Well I for one, don't blame you.

I suppose this is easy for many, I guess.... but I'm new to puzzle caches myself and have the most trouble with ones that dont' tell you what you need to do to solve the puzzle.

I'm new at this too. I've got many that I've got on the back burner and will go back to and do as soon as I figure them out. I've just done a couple easy ones where the question is clear, but I have yet to do one where the question is not clear.

YAY!! I got it. This was a really fun puzzle (didn't do it in 2 minutes like others, but still proud!).

For the person who used memorization - kudos to you!

This came together in phases for me - 3 or 4 different "AHA!" moments. This one is about 2.5 hours away from us so I might actually get there to the physical cache.

Very nice puzzle!

That's pretty bad form, JohnE5. Especially given that Dinoprophet posted:

"It's bad form in the forums because then there's a permanent record here..."

Aren't you the same one that tried to archive another puzzle cache just because you couldn't solve it?

Edited by RedRazorNick

Who cares how a puzzle gets solved! Does Groundspeak have a rule that states, "You have to solve the puzzle all by yourself and don't even think about asking for help."

I've heard, "It's bad form in the forums because then there's a permanent record here..."

Okay, and?

The only ones that would be looking on this permnanent record are people that WANT help. Those that do not want help are not going looking here. No one will accidently find the answer unless they actively searching the forums.

Don't pretent you posted a puzzle you couldn't solve just because you wanted to share it. You put a puzzle up for everyone to see, someone will figure it out and share a clue. In the case that you did just want to share, I posted a clue just because I wanted to share it as well.

In regards to the last line of your statement; You better do your homework. If your going to check my profile and look up my forum posts, make sure you look at the cache in question and not just at the other posts.

I have never posted a "needs archived" log for that cache.

Okay, and?

And you're not the cache owner. Does the concept of common courtesy utterly escape you?

As a puzzle cache owner, I have created these to challenge the minds of my fellow cachers.

If you give out the solution to these, then it's nothing more than a traditional.

If I wanted a particular cache to be a traditional, I would've selected the green box instead of the question mark.

Your resolution removes the cache owner's wishes from the playing field.

That seems kinda rude to me, eh?

Who cares how a puzzle gets solved! Does Groundspeak have a rule that states, "You have to solve the puzzle all by yourself and don't even think about asking for help."

I've heard, "It's bad form in the forums because then there's a permanent record here..."

Okay, and?

It's the cache owner's right to decide how much help to make public. It's no different than posting, "I can't find GC12345, can someone tell me where to look?" Now, if you think that that's okay, then I won't try to change your mind.

The only ones that would be looking on this permnanent record are people that WANT help. Those that do not want help are not going looking here. No one will accidently find the answer unless they actively searching the forums.

Right, because people don't post the answers here!

Who cares how a puzzle gets solved!

Uhhhhhh...... the cache owner, maybe?

Note by JohnE5 on the cache page:

Saw this puzzle posted in the forums, and gave it a shot. Nice to see Evil Cow Pi logging back here in the US

It seems to me that you should at least delete your note from the cacpe page. Not only are you directing people to the forums to see what has been written about the cache, but you even give a hint in your note (the cacher's name is Evil Cow Pie, not Evil Cow Pi).

Edited by knowschad

I guess what the OP was asking is how do you figure out a puzzle of a picture of something that has no clues.

I wonder why some people have no problems figuring them out, and some like myself thinks this could ONLY make sense to the one that hide it.

It really makes me feel stupid, and it really hurts to not be able to understand things like this, if I had known this, I would never took up geocaching. I have become confused with the regular caches, as you have to do something to find them and they are becoming puzzles in themslves.

Not being able to see what others see is so frustrating that I have lost interest in geocaching, it would be nice if somebody here would create a few fake puzzle caches and explain the logic behind them after everybody looked them over for few days.

It's beyond me.

I guess what the OP was asking is how do you figure out a puzzle of a picture of something that has no clues.

I wonder why some people have no problems figuring them out, and some like myself thinks this could ONLY make sense to the one that hide it.

It really makes me feel stupid, and it really hurts to not be able to understand things like this, if I had known this, I would never took up geocaching. I have become confused with the regular caches, as you have to do something to find them and they are becoming puzzles in themslves.

Not being able to see what others see is so frustrating that I have lost interest in geocaching, it would be nice if somebody here would create a few fake puzzle caches and explain the logic behind them after everybody looked them over for few days.

It's beyond me.

A local cacher here has given presentations at events explaining his own real caches.

Hmm. Maybe a thread where people could explain THEIR OWN puzzle caches -- most likely their archived ones...

ETA: I created the thread. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Edited by Dinoprophet
aronnie-"Not being able to see what others see is so frustrating that I have lost interest in geocaching, it would be nice if somebody here would create a few fake puzzle caches and explain the logic behind them after everybody looked them over for few days."
The problem is that there almost as many types of puzzles as there are cachers who hide puzzles. No matter how good you may think you are at solving puzzle caches there will be many that you just don't see for one reason or another. I have over 800 puzzle/unknown cache finds (no, I didn't solve them all myself) and I am continually amazed at what other cachers can come up with. Some, like the one being discussed by the OP are very well done and after you've done a number you look for certain 'clues' that may point you toward the answer. There are other puzzles that are amazingly complex and involve a lot of research or trial & error to solve. I have to resign myself to the realization that there are puzzles that I may never solve. Some I've put to one side and solve a year later but some are just as confusing to me as they were originally. I live in NH and we have a very active caching community and some great puzzle caches but if you look at any location you can find great puzzle caches from easy to the extreme.

What many find helpful is to attend caching events and talk to other local cachers to get hint on how they have solved puzzles in general. One of the best ways to get information is to email the owner of a cache you are trying to solve. Most owners are willing to help but you should first tell them what you have tried to do to solve their puzzle. Don't just email someone and expect them to hand you the answer. If you let them know you've made an effort and are stuck, knowing what you've done can help them point you in the right direction. Try starting with puzzles that have a low difficulty rating. Solving a few of these will help build your confidence. Even if puzzle caches aren't your forte, there are a lot of caches out there to find.