30 cal. & 50 cal. ammo cans no longer available to the public?

I've checked several of my local army surplus stores here in OKC and I was told that the government is deciding to melt down these ammo cans instead of selling them in surplus stores. One store owner was saying it is because the feds don't want us to have them or any military items anymore due to the possibility of these items being used by terrorists, militias, etc.

I personally think this is absurd, but now I'm trying to find something that is a close substitute for geocaching purposes.

I did find some 50 cal. boxes for sale at govliquidation.com but you have to buy 168 of them for $150 and someone told me that they are grade 4 quality. I don't want that many :grin:

I did find some 50 cal. boxes for sale at govliquidation.com but you have to buy 168 of them for $150 and someone told me that they are grade 4 quality. I don't want that many :grin:

At that price you could resell them!

Offer 'em for $5 each and you're making a ton of profit, and still below any surplus store! :P

Offer 'em for $5 each and you're making a ton of profit, and still below any surplus store! :P

The army surplus store near me sells them 2/$7 when they have them.

Why would they melt them down instead of simply reusing them? That just doesn't make sense.

This topic has come up before, by the way: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=173294

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw this thread. I remember when that last thread came out, I was worried, as I had been having recent problems finding ammo cans at my local stores. I'd never had any problems before, and then suddenly they were harder to find, more expensive (almost twice as much!), and in pretty bad shape. I figured that was the end of that. But more recently, I'm finding better variety of sizes, fairly good quality, and mostly the same prices as in the past.

That last time I was at the closest army surplus store near me (about a year ago) that had a bunch of them for 3 for $10.

From personal experience, the reason is probably just a lack of supply. We have been massively cutting down on the amount of ammo used for training at home station. The military is firing less rounds, and extending live fire training qualification intervals to conserve ammo. Less ammo used means less ammo cans available to the public.

Offer 'em for $5 each and you're making a ton of profit, and still below any surplus store! :D

That last time I was at the closest army surplus store near me (about a year ago) that had a bunch of them for 3 for $10.

Bah my local on sucks then. They're like $10 each starting. :P