Obsessed With a Cache?

A few weeks ago we found a breathtakingly beautiful cache location. Since then we've been back several times to walk the boardwalk and sit together at the end to watch the sun set over the water. It is intensely soul-satisfying and is a place we would never have found without geocaching. Many of our nights since then have been spent walking the boardwalk. Each time we go, we check on the cache, look at the new swag that people have placed, flip through the logbook and read the new signatures. Last week I placed my very first travel bug in this cache (though no one has taken it yet).

Today we went there and couldn't find the cache at first. Someone hadn't attached it correctly and it was laying on the ground under the boardwalk. So we retrieved it, pawed through the swag, noted that my travel bug has yet to travel (making it a stationary bug), read the log, and finally replaced it as it was meant to be. (The cache page is very explicit about how it should be replaced.)

It feels a bit indecent to be constantly checking on this cache (which belongs to someone else) but my beloved says that it is probably fine. Even if we didn't check the cache, we would still be returning again and again to this spot because it has become "our special place" that melts our tension away.

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Have you ever become attached to a cache that didn't belong to you? What kind was it? What did you end up doing? Did you continue visiting it, or did you get your obsession under control and confess to yourself that it is a bit creepy to be stalking a cache? :D

Carolyn

A few weeks ago we found a breathtakingly beautiful cache location. Since then we've been back several times to walk the boardwalk and sit together at the end to watch the sun set over the water. It is intensely soul-satisfying and is a place we would never have found without geocaching. Many of our nights since then have been spent walking the boardwalk. Each time we go, we check on the cache, look at the new swag that people have placed, flip through the logbook and read the new signatures. Last week I placed my very first travel bug in this cache (though no one has taken it yet).

Today we went there and couldn't find the cache at first. Someone hadn't attached it correctly and it was laying on the ground under the boardwalk. So we retrieved it, pawed through the swag, noted that my travel bug has yet to travel (making it a stationary bug), read the log, and finally replaced it as it was meant to be. (The cache page is very explicit about how it should be replaced.)

It feels a bit indecent to be constantly checking on this cache (which belongs to someone else) but my beloved says that it is probably fine. Even if we didn't check the cache, we would still be returning again and again to this spot because it has become "our special place" that melts our tension away.

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Have you ever become attached to a cache that didn't belong to you? What kind was it? What did you end up doing? Did you continue visiting it, or did you get your obsession under control and confess to yourself that it is a bit creepy to be stalking a cache? :D

Carolyn

I don't see it as "stalking a cache" so much as that the CO has achieved completely the goal of sharing a memorable spot. You guys are taken with it so much that it's become very special.. awesome job CO! The checking in on it is great too IMO as long as it's not bringing notice to the cache. It's a special spot to you and a special cache. To me, it's great that you're taking care of it :D Not creepy at all in my book.

My first cache has always held a certain place in my heart and I would take people there to introduce them to geocaching. It was muggled a few weeks ago and I went back with my dad (for whom this was one of his first as well) and we searched all over hoping to find some remnants. We found the pen and some wrappers off of the swag but no container. I wasn't destroyed but was a bit sad that it's gone. Archived now by the CO, I'm thinking about putting a cache somewhere nearby :) It's near my house and again would be a great way to introduce people to the game :) Your story is much better and much more touching!

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Have you ever become attached to a cache that didn't belong to you? What kind was it? What did you end up doing? Did you continue visiting it, or did you get your obsession under control and confess to yourself that it is a bit creepy to be stalking a cache? :)

Carolyn

I could see someones DNF log now: Darn it, returned for the umteenth time and those darned muggles are still watching the sunset...

Back on topic... there is a beutiful little oasis with a waterfall about 2 miles from home and only 30-40 feet from the road. when you get there, everything else melts away and it's like you step into a rainforest and back in time.

I could see someones DNF log now: Darn it, returned for the umteenth time and those darned muggles are still watching the sunset...

That really made me laugh! Hopefully we haven't discouraged anyone from seeking the cache.

Back on topic... there is a beutiful little oasis with a waterfall about 2 miles from home and only 30-40 feet from the road. when you get there, everything else melts away and it's like you step into a rainforest and back in time.

It is amazing how close we can be to transcendent beauty and never see it until we are brought to it. We are trying to figure out where we would want to place a cache and I keep wishing that I knew places as beautiful as those that I have been brought to by other geocachers. I think it must take months or years in some cases to find the perfect cache-spot.

I wonder if you could talk to the CO and see if they would allow you to adopt this cache, seeing as you love the spot and seem to be doing cache maintenance anyway! BTW, it was nice meeting and talking with you in the lunch line at GW7.

It was very nice to meet you as well! We enjoyed talking to you. It made the time in the lunch line fly.

The cache is somewhat odd. It is the oldest cache in Tennessee and has been more or less unofficially adopted by a senior member of this community and, from what I can tell from the logs, is actively cared for by the community at large. So it is a well-cared for cache. It probably doesn't need me. (And I am sure that it is my imagination that the cache keeps begging me to visit.)

Carolyn

Me?? No - never - not at all. Now my wife once had us return to the same cache 5 times before we found it. But I had nothing to do with that - no really - seriously - I mean it....... :)

So you are a model husband? I am so glad to have found you!

You must send an email to my beloved and explain to him the absolute importance of us finding the puzzle cache I've solved, no matter how many times we must go or how unpleasant the gasoline fumes are, or how likely it seems that the cache is missing. He's told me that three times are enough. But it's never enough, is it? Not if I haven't found it yet.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn