Johnson County, Texas

Looking at that article I'd say someone in the area has a chance to do some seriously positive PR. These people are in need of help maintaining the cemeteries and a cito event could clean up and fix up a cemetery in a day. When life hands you lemons and all that.

Hey, Rev.. Have you really lost touch of the fact that cemeteries and parks are basically the stuff of a large part of semi-urban geocache placements? Where I live, the cemeteries are basically public domain, and placing a cache is a matter of judgement..and we are guided by that.

Are you REALLY against cemetery listings?

Looking at that article I'd say someone in the area has a chance to do some seriously positive PR. These people are in need of help maintaining the cemeteries and a cito event could clean up and fix up a cemetery in a day. When life hands you lemons and all that.

Hey, Rev.. Have you really lost touch of the fact that cemeteries and parks are basically the stuff of a large part of semi-urban geocache placements? Where I live, the cemeteries are basically public domain, and placing a cache is a matter of judgement..and we are guided by that.

Are you REALLY against cemetery listings?

:D That is about 180 degrees from what I read into Gof's posting. Nevertheless, I'm glad you bubbled this back up to the top. I tried to do that earlier today but the forum kept bleching on me.

Yay! I wrote the author the day after the story came out and told him that the article was biased and unfair. Glad to see he's looking at the other side.

I just completed a phone interview with reporter Matt Smith from the Cleburne Times Review.

There will be a follow up article with our side of the story in the next couple of days.

I’ll post a link once it gets published!

Way to go Harry! :D

Has anybody down that way had any communications with the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office deputy Jim Sloan about this?

Not yet, we are waiting on the new article from the Cleburne Times Review, and see what comes out of that.

We are planning on a CITO event, but want to see what reaction comes out of the new article.

It seems like the reporter got lots of feedback on the first article and he actually contacted me because of it.

I gave him lots of info about caching in Tx as well as several examples of great cemetary caches, including the first cache placed in Tx.

GC62 Tombstone

Has anybody down that way had any communications with the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office deputy Jim Sloan about this?

Not yet, we are waiting on the new article from the Cleburne Times Review, and see what comes out of that.

We are planning on a CITO event, but want to see what reaction comes out of the new article.

It seems like the reporter got lots of feedback on the first article and he actually contacted me because of it.

I gave him lots of info about caching in Tx as well as several examples of great cemetary caches, including the first cache placed in Tx.

GC62 Tombstone

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this! We appreciate it! :)

I also wrote the author of the article, right before I started this conversation. I'm glad to see that he is writing a follow up and hope that this helps correct some of the inaccuracies of the first article. I have to thank those who have been taking the time to contact the author and the local connections to help get everything going in the right direction. My fingers are crossed on this. Keep us updated on this situation, and what's going to happen. I know at least one cacher whose TB is the one I recognized has contacted me and we are both waiting to hear the news as the TB needs to get back to the race it's in. LOL.

No matter what the outcome, great job everyone.

I have really enjoyed reading the histories of the cemeteries I have visited whilst geocaching. My most memorable cemetery cache visit being the Saving Private Ryan cache in the South Island of New Zealand. It is truely moving to read the logs of the care and respect that geocachers from all over the world have given to this old soldier.

Their "follow-up" seems to be nothing but a shoddily-written editorial with some snarky remarks about geocachers.

http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/opinion...=secondarystory

That "follow up" was insulting! <_<

but instead of jumping to defend themselves or attack a reporter, they should consider carefully who they’re offending and whether giving that offense is worthwhile.

Oh, come on! Not even worth expending the energy to attack that one. You're the press, for Pete's sake! Your reporter was somehow offended by the remarks that were made to his original article? First, I saw very few, (if any) that attacked him or his story. But even if they did, that is one of the costs of journalism. Get over it. Better yet, report accurately and you'll get even less flak.

(whew! Sorry and thanks for listening.)

Edited by knowschad

"Trustys???" lol... me thinks that should be "trustees." (and no editor caught that in the article? hmmm...)

Ahem... methinks you mispoke yerself. "Trustys" is indeed the correct word. But then, you've probably spent more time in school than you have in jail, so your mistake is understandable! ;)

I've been looking at Texas Health and Safety Codes (the laws relating to cemeteries). Here is some interesting things:

Section 711.031

This one defines the rights of the cemetery organization. They have the right to restrict geocaching in cemeteries based on this law.

Section 711.041

This one defines the right to enter or exit cemeteries. It basically means anyone can enter or exit, but there is one line to point out. "This right of access extends only to visitation during reasonable hours and only for purposes usually associated with cemetery visits."

I have seen the comments on here about the editorial, which was HUGELY slanted, disrespectful, and appears to have an open threat against geocachers who continue to voice their opinions. However, I'll add another link to the follow up article by the author of the original article, which was posted about 20 minutes before the editorial (notice how quick the editor was to basically negate Mr. Smith's effort to provide our side of the story). Here's the article: Follow up article

Mr. Smith wrote a nice follow up. It's unfortunate that his editor is a hypocrite...advertising respect and cooperation in the editorial title then bashing geocachers for being inconsiderate and ends with a threat.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trusty

trust·y (trst)

adj. trust·i·er, trust·i·est

Meriting trust; trustworthy. See Synonyms at reliable.

n. pl. trust·ies

1. A convict regarded as worthy of trust and therefore granted special privileges.

2. A trusted person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees

Trustee is a legal term that refers to a holder of property on behalf of a beneficiary

Hmmmm.... off topic, but interesting. I didn't realize that, either!

Edited by knowschad

I've been looking at Texas Health and Safety Codes (the laws relating to cemeteries). Here is some interesting things:

Section 711.031

This one defines the rights of the cemetery organization. They have the right to restrict geocaching in cemeteries based on this law.

I don't think it is clear yet who the "cemetery organization" is here, is it? The volunteer group that maintains the cemetery is not the "cemetery organization", is it?

My mistake:

Doris Lanfear, president of the Johnson County Cemetery Association,

Edited by knowschad

I was going to post a link to the follow up article, but I see someone beat me to it. It's a very condensed version of what all I discussed over the phone with the reporter.

The part talking about the school houses was cut way short and missed the point that I was trying to make.

Every year we have the Texas Challenge during Spring Break. This year it was held in Fredericksburg TX and the Challenge committee worked very close with the City of Fredericksburg and a series of caches were placed to showcase old one room school houses that are in and around the town. My point was that geocaching can bring in tourist dollars and help benefit the areas where we play our game.

I'll have to agree the article was not well written.

The follow-up article wasn't nice. It continued along the same biased line of thinking as the first one, and failed to address most of the concerns brought up by geocachers. It, and the editorial, were poorly written and shoddily researched.

I am highly suspicious of their claim that they contacted Groundspeak. I write to Groundspeak somewhat frequently with questions, concerns, and complaints, and I *always* get a prompt reply.

That someone chooses to be offended by geocaching does not make geocaching offensive. People do have control over their reactions to things. We've been quite clear that geocaching in cemeteries is not meant to be disrespectful. That they continue to interpret it as disrespectful is ridiculous and immature.

Section 711.031

Section 711.041

This one defines the right to enter or exit cemeteries. It basically means anyone can enter or exit, but there is one line to point out. "This right of access extends only to visitation during reasonable hours and only for purposes usually associated with cemetery visits."

I have seen the comments on here about the editorial, which was HUGELY slanted, disrespectful, and appears to have an open threat against geocachers who continue to voice their opinions. However, I'll add another link to the follow up article by the author of the original article, which was posted about 20 minutes before the editorial (notice how quick the editor was to basically negate Mr. Smith's effort to provide our side of the story). Here's the article: Follow up article

Mr. Smith wrote a nice follow up. It's unfortunate that his editor is a hypocrite...advertising respect and cooperation in the editorial title then bashing geocachers for being inconsiderate and ends with a threat.

I'm going to continue blogging about it, and I hope geocachers continue to post their comments on the articles. I've seen a lot of asinine news articles about geocaching, but Cleburne Times-Review takes the cake for stupidity and missing the point.

I was going to post a link to the follow up article, but I see someone beat me to it. It's a very condensed version of what all I discussed over the phone with the reporter.

The part talking about the school houses was cut way short and missed the point that I was trying to make.

Every year we have the Texas Challenge during Spring Break. This year it was held in Fredericksburg TX and the Challenge committee worked very close with the City of Fredericksburg and a series of caches were placed to showcase old one room school houses that are in and around the town. My point was that geocaching can bring in tourist dollars and help benefit the areas where we play our game.

I'll have to agree the article was not well written.

Here's a link to a story a few weeks ago about a cemetery using geocachers to help them mark the GPS locations of graves.

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2009/may/29/0529_gps/

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the reviewer for Texas, and any geocachers located in Johnson County, TX. In particular, geocachers near Cleburne, TX.

http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/johnson...eyword=topstory

It's quite possible the police still have custody of the confiscated geocaches, and the subsequent coins and bugs. I'm sort of affected, indirectly, by one of the TB's shown in the accompanying image. The travel bug is a contestant in my Great TB Race. It is TB2AFHK. It is currently located in GC1A8WC, which recently reported a DNF. I can only guess that that particular geocache is one of the ones currently in police custody.

I have put a Needs Maintenance on that geocache, but it sounds like there are others in that area that might be being collected by the police. I felt I'd bring this to the attention of the people listed in the opening line paragraph so that they may begin the process of working with the local police and retrieving any items confiscated.

Section 711.031

I don't think it is clear yet who the "cemetery organization" is here, is it? The volunteer group that maintains the cemetery is not the "cemetery organization", is it?

My mistake:

Doris Lanfear, president of the Johnson County Cemetery Association,

Man, that is one crazy open-ended law.