Longest multi?

I have a question for everyone one about the multi's they have done. What is the greatest distance between stages that you have encountered. What is the greatest number of stages anyone has seen on a multi. It would be helpful for me, I'm trying to put together a multi and want to know how crazy is crazy for a multi cache.

I have a question for everyone one about the multi's they have done. What is the greatest distance between stages that you have encountered. What is the greatest number of stages anyone has seen on a multi. It would be helpful for me, I'm trying to put together a multi and want to know how crazy is crazy for a multi cache.

12,000 miles would be too crazy. Thats roughly half the circumference of the earth.

5 miles by road (1/2 mile as an eagle flies)

5 miles by road (1/2 mile as an eagle flies)

Found the first stage for one a couple of weeks ago that is 12 miles from the final.

The greatest number of stages I've done is one that is an 11 part multi based on a walking scale model of the solar system. There are small monoliths for the sun and each of the planets which contain information about the planets. Information gathered from each monolith is obtained to get the final coordinates. I don't want to spoil where the final coordinate lead. The total talking distance is about 1.7 miles (one way) but the finale is a few miles away.

I've encountered other many stage multi caches, for which the multiple stages didn't really add anything to the enjoyment of the cache. It's not that difficult to create a mulit cache with lots of stages (but it's not easy to maintain one with lots of stages). When considering creating a cache with a great distance between stages or many stages, consider the maintenance that will be involved. How would you, for example, maintain a cache that had stages 200 miles apart if one of the stages went missing. How often are you going to be disabling a cache with a dozen or more physical containers when one goes missing (and is needed to obtain final coordinates).

One of my favorites is Bridges and Arches of Central Park with 32 virtual stages. That took us a four days over two months. Probably twelve miles walking between the various stages.

Then there's Central Park Decathlon. 10 stages (covering the same area: Central Park) Delightfully evil! Only took us 5.5 months! 5/3 rating. Only 8 finds in a bit over a year.

Greatest distance on a 2-step? Five miles. Also did a five stage over about 5 miles. But those were by car. The ones in Central Park are by foot, or by bike.

I've found the first stage for a multi where the final is 20 miles away. I've heard of one where the final is about 1500 miles from stage 1 (southern California to northern Washington).

There's a respected 45-stage multi-cache that some of the locals save for a milestone. All the stages are within hiking distance of each other, but it's a full day from the logs I've read.

For a short time I had a 3 stager that had maybe two miles between S1 and S2 and a mile and a half between S2 and S3. If you took a boat that wasn't so bad. S1 and S3 were on one side of a reservoir and S2 was on the other. Took about a 15-20 mile drive to get from one side to the other with another 1-1.5 mile hike on top of that on each stage. Took me 6 hours to hide it.

3000-4000 thousand miles is the greatest I've seen. The first stage is in Connecticut, and the final is in United Kingdom.

There's also one that starts in the UK and ends in CT.

There's another with less distance, and the whole cache is 100 miles. It's a 5 stage cache, but each of the stages has up to 5 individual stages.

At the first stage, you go and solve a puzzle, which gives you coords to the second stage, which is 20 miles away.

When you get there, you do a mini-multi with a couple stages and eventually get coords to the 3rd stage, which is 20 or so miles away. Then, you do another mini multi to get coords to stage 4 and then another mini-multi to get coords to stage 5. Once you're at stage 5, you do another mini multi/puzzle and eventually get coords to the final, which is 10-15 miles away.

Distance between the main stages is 100 miles, plus you have varying length hikes for each of the individual stages. Definitely a fun and interesting cache. It encompasses everything from a very difficult puzzle to some really tricky (not hard terrain) hides and then a very challenging steep/long hike and ultimately some very scenic and historic stuff.

Edited by Skippermark