Read the audit log (see who viewed your cache)

SD Marc

I just adopted 2 caches near my home. Both are subscriber-only, none of my others are. Both have the option - Read the audit log (see who viewed your cache) - which none of my others have. Is this only available for subscriber-only caches? Please enilighten me. Thanks!

Nope. It's part of the "benefits" of designating the cache as PMO.

Audit logs are only available for PMO caches.

Excluding fellow cachers has benefits? :D

You can always remove the PMO restriction. The choice is yours now that you own the caches.

Nope. It's part of the "benefits" of designating the cache as PMO.

Audit logs are only available for PMO caches.

Excluding fellow cachers has benefits? :D

You can always remove the PMO restriction. The choice is yours now that you own the caches.

I'm aware of that, I thought about it, and I may still do it. For now, I didn't want to alter the original owner's cache too much, they're part of a larger series. Since I notice that "benefit" I thought I'd ask.

Still not sure why PMO caches deserve this benefit.

I don't know why ANY cache deserves this "benefit". The audit log is far from accurate if you think it shows you who looked at your cache...there are many ways to see the details of a cache without visiting the cache page.

I don't know why ANY cache deserves this "benefit". The audit log is far from accurate if you think it shows you who looked at your cache...there are many ways to see the details of a cache without visiting the cache page.

It's just security theater.

I've had caches listed as PMO before. The audit log never made me think the cache was any safer. It was interesting to see some of who was looking at the cache. Makes you wonder when you see someone from half way around the world was looking at your cache. Why that cache? How did they come across your listing? In the end though the log is useless past that mild bit of curiosity.

It's just security theater.

And invasion of web-surfing privacy. But I digress. I could look it up, but I'm sure I've heard on more than one occasion from Groundspeak folk in these forums that the entire reason MOC's were invented was to combat cache piracy (a premium member is much less likely to steal geocaches). And the audit log is an attempt to further increase the security. Be it security theater or not. :D

Back in the day, you could see the whole page for a non-PMO cache without being logged in at all. Audit logs could therefore be implemented only for PMO caches.

Now that you have to log in to see the coordinates for any cache, it would make sense to extend audit logs to non-PMOs. But I don't imagine this will ever percolate to the top of any lacky's to-do list.

All of my puzzle caches are PMOs so I can cackle over the audit logs. One guy looked at my hardest puzzle over 300 times before solving it.

Now that you have to log in to see the coordinates for any cache, it would make sense to extend audit logs to non-PMOs. But I don't imagine this will ever percolate to the top of any lacky's to-do list.

All of my puzzle caches are PMOs so I can cackle over the audit logs. One guy looked at my hardest puzzle over 300 times before solving it.

I can see the full cache page for your PMO cache without showing up on the audit log. I could look at that puzzle cache 1000 times and you would never know it.

Heck I could log a find on it without ever visiting the page.

The audit log is NOT a true representation of who has seen your cache details. Not even close.