Deciding whether to replace or archive missing cache

Several things go into deciding if one of mine is going to be archived or replaced. In no particular order. Is it likely to be a recurring problem? Has the cache been in place a long enough time that most of the locals who are going to find it have found it? Is it one of those special caches (extremely rare) that would be a loss to the community? Am I still enjoying ownership of that cache?

My cache archival consideration thought patterns mirror closely those of gof1.

One of the biggest determining factors is trying to figure out why it got muggled.

If my assumption is that it was taken by kids, I will not return the cache to the same spot.

Then I gotta decide if I want to relocate it nearby, or just pull the trigger on it all together.

If I decide Momma Nature, or one of her Evil Minions, took it, I'll usually replace it, with some better engineering to prevent a reoccurance.

I feel like I have let someone down if I have to archive a cache. Like I didn't do a good job selecting a hiding spot.

After I archived one of my caches I really try hard to come up with a suitable container and spot.

I think I know what you mean, but on the flip side, a new cache brings old cachers back. A replaced cache only brings new cachers to the area. But yeah... as others have said, it's on a case-by-case basis. If the cache is really unique in a way that can't be duplicated by a new hide, then, by all means, replace it.

Your reviewer may have something to say about it, as well. Unless the new cache is significantly different, they may call you on it if you decide to create a new cache in the same spot that is essentially the same as the previous hide.

It depends on how big the mattress is and if you can still find the pea. :):D;)

lol Knight2000! :) The mattress was barely noticeable when I hid the cache, because of the overgrowth. The area is a bit more clear now. I like the area and cache name and it's one of my first hides. Maybe I'll try it one more time! I'll need to work on hiding it a bit differently, because of some of the decomposition that has happened.

Thanks everybody for your input! I'll be checking back in the meantime to see other opinions and discussion!

After I archived one of my caches I really try hard to come up with a suitable container and spot.

Your reviewer may have something to say about it, as well. Unless the new cache is significantly different, they may call you on it if you decide to create a new cache in the same spot that is essentially the same as the previous hide.

I think I should have said that from that point on when I consider a new cache I pay particular attention to a durable hide. My problem with the cache I archived was the camo kept coming apart. I took it as a learning experience. I get a kick out of new containers and camo. When I come up with a new camo job I make it a point to pay particular attention to it. I won't hide any other caches for a few weeks until I am certain the hide is going to last as is. I really don't want to be a problem cacher.

How do you decide whether to replace or archive a missing cache?

I just found out that one of my caches is missing. I've replaced it once before. It has been active for 2 years. I'm debating on whether to replace it or archive it.

I'll consider several things. Is it a really good cache in a unique or interesting area? If yes I'll usually replace it. Is the reason for the cache no longer valid? For instance if it was the first cache in a cool park, but now there are a half dozen others. In that case I might archive. Is the location compromised - meaning how likely is it that the person who took it will take the replacement as well? In that case I may move or archive depending on the situation. Am I tired of maintaining it? If yes, then I archive.

The main criteria for me is if the spot can still support a cache. The reason many of my caches have gone missing is due to some change in the spot. Tree cut down, new road, new sidewalk, new pathway, rock slide, mud slide, stream changed course. In most of those instances, I can find a new spot nearby but sometimes the change comprimises the ability to hide a cache there anymore. If a cache has been destroyed by vandals - I will not rehide in the same location as that is a sure way to lose another container. Of course sometimes what looked like a good spot actually turns out to be a poor location due to some activity or another. Can't plan for that.

I am facing the same dilemma on one of my caches. It went missing, and when I checked it out I discovered the paint ballers have used the area. The stump my cache was in has had all the vegetation flattened all around it. Apparently a stump that is good to hide a Geocache in is good to hide behind for paint ball.[:D]

If I knew the paint ball was a onetime thing, I would just replace the cache. However, I'm leaning towards archive and new cache, a little farther down the trail.

I base my decision on a couple of things. If I feel the chances of it going missing again are low (twice in 2 years is pretty low!) I will probably replace it. But I also read through the past logs to see what people had to say about it. If the logs were good I definitely want to replace it but if it's had a bunch of "Why did you bring me here?" or plain TFTC/found it logs I will generally archive it because people are finding it but not really enjoying it.

Clan...aint no kid ever gonna muggle one of your caches. They would never make it back out of the swamp alive once they found it :grin:

My cache archival consideration thought patterns mirror closely those of gof1.

One of the biggest determining factors is trying to figure out why it got muggled.

If my assumption is that it was taken by kids, I will not return the cache to the same spot.

Then I gotta decide if I want to relocate it nearby, or just pull the trigger on it all together.

If I decide Momma Nature, or one of her Evil Minions, took it, I'll usually replace it, with some better engineering to prevent a reoccurance.

I just ran into this issue myself. After reading this, I arcived the muggled cache, and am planning a new one near by. Should attract all the locals again, and make a new FTF race, and add to my hide number and...

Anyway, I think those people are correct, unless it is a very special cache, may as well make a new one.

PS. Pissed me off to loose a perfectly good ammo can. New one will be Tupperware.

Clan...aint no kid ever gonna muggle one of your caches. They would never make it back out of the swamp alive once they found it

Remember the Welcome to the Jungle bushwhacking through the swamp event I held recently?

One of the deeper caches out there had been muggled. It had been suspended from a tree, and we found the cut line.

That one really surprized me. Who the heck, (other than the occassional zany geocacher), would ever go back there? :)