Prime Suspect reaches 1000 finds!

9Key

The great *Prime Suspect*, long time and frequent forum poster, geocaching Greaskemonkey script writer extrodinaire, etc, logged his 1,000th geocache find today at a cache in Plano, Texas. He not only holds the distinction of being the cacher that placed the first cache within Dallas, Texas city limits (still active!) he also owns what is claimed to be the oldest active micro cache in the United States. Nice work, kind sir! ;);)

Way to go Matt. I may catch up to you quicker now that I have my geomate.jr. :D

he also owns what is claimed to be the oldest active micro cache in the United States

Are you sure he wants that to be common knowledge? Gotta wonder how many times the logbook has had to be changed out!

It's way cool to have the oldest mico. :D:D:D

I'm the evil genius who unleashed 13,000 of them on an unsuspecting geocontinuum. ;) Some people huh. Goin' around and ruining the fun for everyone else by increasing their choices of caches to hunt. ;);)

I'm pushing for my 1000th by years end.

Congrats to Prime!!!

Based on my current find rate I ought to be able to hit 1000 around January, 2010. I had targeted a boat accessible only cache for number 1000 but considering what the weather is like in January here I've changed my mind. The current leader for that honor is "The Spot" (GC39), the oldest cache in New York ( think it's the oldest active cache east of the Mississippi).

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

As the number approach, I had a hard time thinking of what should be the milestone cache. Then it occurred to me to look back, and find the earliest DNF I've posted, that I hadn't yet gone back to find. As it happened, the earliest one that hadn't been archived was also 9Key's very first cache hide. And it was almost exactly 7 years to the day since I had first attempted it. It's in the 200 acre Arbor Hills Nature Preserve - lots of caches, most of which require a nice hike to get to. A perfect fit for the 1k find.

knowschad: Actually, it was a couple of years before I had to change out that micro log. I had only seen one micro before, so I just did what I thought was a good idea - I taped together a 5 foot long strip of paper for the log. Took forever to roll it back up. But it did last a long time.

1000 finds is a good reason to congratulate Prime; but, for me, the wonderful generosity of his scripts, hosted and given away for free, is the truly awesome achievement.

I will wholeheartedly agree with you about those scripts, but especially the AWESOME Add Waypoint Finder. Geocaching.com really should adopt that. Not only does the waypoint entry box appear on very screen, but in my opinion, it behaves as it should regarding the "GC" mask characters.

knowschad: Actually, it was a couple of years before I had to change out that micro log. I had only seen one micro before, so I just did what I thought was a good idea - I taped together a 5 foot long strip of paper for the log. Took forever to roll it back up. But it did last a long time.

I can vouch for that. When I found it all five feet of the log unrolled. :D:D

So, naturally you took out your biggest Sharpie pen and signed in huge bold letters, including a nice lengthy journalling of your experience, right? That's what I would have done. :)

So, naturally you took out your biggest Sharpie pen and signed in huge bold letters, including a nice lengthy journalling of your experience, right? That's what I would have done. :)

The funny thing was, there had only been one micro anywhere in the area, "Another Brick in the Wall", the second cache I ever found. I found it the day after it was published, and it only lasted a month. So people in the area had no real experience with non-trading caches. Consequently, people tried to leave stuff next to and on top of the 35mm film can. Then someone collected it all together in a zip-lock bag. This completely circumvented the caches hiding technique, and made it stick out like a sore thumb. Fortunately, it's located where few people go unless they have a reason to, and it was never muggled. I took the bag and put it and its contents in another cache. There were a few more micros around by then (though that official size designation was still years away), and people were better with the idea of a cache without trade items.

The funny thing was, there had only been one micro anywhere in the area, "Another Brick in the Wall", the second cache I ever found. I found it the day after it was published, and it only lasted a month. So people in the area had no real experience with non-trading caches. Consequently, people tried to leave stuff next to and on top of the 35mm film can. Then someone collected it all together in a zip-lock bag. This completely circumvented the caches hiding technique, and made it stick out like a sore thumb. Fortunately, it's located where few people go unless they have a reason to, and it was never muggled. I took the bag and put it and its contents in another cache. There were a few more micros around by then (though that official size designation was still years away), and people were better with the idea of a cache without trade items.

:D That's a great story! That was before my time... we had plenty of micros already in 2005. But I have never heard of a cache growing from a micro to a large like that. Too funny!