Virtual Caches

Here is the page where cache types are defined

Virtual Cache

A virtual cache is a cache that exists in a form of a location. Depending on the cache "hider," a virtual cache could be to answer a question about a location, an interesting spot, a task, etc. The reward for these caches is the location itself and sharing information about your visit.

Because of the nature of these geocaches, you must actually visit the location and acquire the coordinates there before you can post. In addition, although many locations are interesting, a virtual cache should be out of the ordinary enough to warrant logging a visit.

(someone will post when they stopped allowing new ones).

That would be me. Theoretically, they stopped posting new ones on January 3rd, 2006. However, there had been a de-facto ban on them in place since May 2003, before I even started Geocaching, and I've been around for a while. This was the "Wow factor" period. Your chances of getting one approved then all depended on where you lived, and who your reviewer was. If you lived in New York as I do, you had exactly zero chance of getting one approved. ;)

That would be me. Theoretically, they stopped posting new ones on January 3rd, 2006. However, there had been a de-facto ban on them in place since May 2003, before I even started Geocaching, and I've been around for a while. This was the "Wow factor" period. Your chances of getting one approved then all depended on where you lived, and who your reviewer was. If you lived in New York as I do, you had exactly zero chance of getting one approved. ;)

The period Urkel mentions is during the time then I was a volunteer reviewer and virtual caches sitting in my queue were always a downer. I knew it would be a fight, one way or the other, to deny the cache, or if I approved it take crap from other cachers that had virtuals that I did *not* approve. What a mess. [;)]

As the grandfathered virts die off, one by one, some day they'll be like the APE cache maybe, something of a badge of honour to have logged one. ;)

Edited by 9Key

The period Urkel mentions is during the time then I was a volunteer reviewer and virtual caches sitting in my queue were always a downer. I knew it would be a fight, one way or the other, to deny the cache, or if I approved it take crap from other cachers that had virtuals that I did *not* approve. What a mess. [;)]

As the grandfathered virts die off, one by one, some day they'll be like the APE cache maybe, something of a badge of honour to have logged one. ;)

We started caching at the end of 2003 and have managed to find 35 virtuals to date. We think they are a fun variation and always enjoy them. Much more rare for us is the Locationless cache. We have only managed to log two of them. So our rare cache type finds are Ape Cache 1, Locationless 2, Letterbox Hybrids 4, Webcam Caches 5.

We started caching at the end of 2003 and have managed to find 35 virtuals to date. We think they are a fun variation and always enjoy them. Much more rare for us is the Locationless cache. We have only managed to log two of them. So our rare cache type finds are Ape Cache 1, Locationless 2, Letterbox Hybrids 4, Webcam Caches 5.

I actively seek them. So far, 229 to date. I never really got into locationless and only did 8.

Rare cache type finds are Ape Cache 4, Locationless 8, Letterbox Hybrids 6, Webcam Caches 3.

Care to share (if you even remember) about how many "Wow" virtuals you approved?

I think a lot of the angst was because most cachers don't read these forums, and had no idea their virtual submission was most likely going to be denied. You had your cache submission form, and there it was, a box to check for virtual. I know a guy who, around 2004, spent about 12 hours setting up and writing up a multi-virtual. As I said before, he had zero chance of getting it approved in my State.

As I said before, he had zero chance of getting it approved in my State.

I really get tired of hearing that. They were listed if you would actually check. I also don't know how you would have any clue as to what was not published in your state. Perhaps there were not that many submitted. Perhaps you would be better served if you stick to facts. Since your claimed "de-facto ban on them in place since May 2003" there were 11 listed in NY. My guess is that the same thing happened there that happened across the globe. Every brass plaque riveted to a piece of concrete was being submitted, or worse. One thing I remember was archiving them and putting the answer in the archive note because most were so easy to answer. I could usually Google the answer in less than 60 seconds.

As I said before, he had zero chance of getting it approved in my State.

I really get tired of hearing that. They were listed if you would actually check. I also don't know how you would have any clue as to what was not published in your state. Perhaps there were not that many submitted. Perhaps you would be better served if you stick to facts. Since your claimed "de-facto ban on them in place since May 2003" there were 11 listed in NY. My guess is that the same thing happened there that happened across the globe. Every brass plaque riveted to a piece of concrete was being submitted, or worse. One thing I remember was archiving them and putting the answer in the archive note because most were so easy to answer. I could usually Google the answer in less than 60 seconds.

Well, ya' got me. This is because we had an out of state reviewer for the first full year of the WOW period. Now if 0 of those 11 were published after May 2004, then I'm still correct. ;)

Oh, I'll bet every brass plaque riveted to a piece of concrete was being submitted. Putting the easily looked up answer in the archive notes was a great idea! I'll bet it was quite effective on cutting down the number of complaints.

1000 bad apples...brings out the creativity in the rest of us.

A solution for many has been to create a multi based on info found at virt's.

For example, in one of mine, we have folks travel around the county (Spartanburg, SC) at some cool historic and culturally popular features, all the while building up the coords to the final. One stage that get's the most reaction is two pieces of the Berlin Wall on display at a local manufacturer. Many, MANY people have lived here all of their lives and not known that.

I am a firm believer that geocachers trump local chambers of commerce when it comes to educating tourists!