Jump to content

Garmin 60Cx Won't Acquire Satellites


Followers 1

Recommended Posts

A week ago my 60Cx worked perfectly.

 

Today when I turned it on, it wouldn't acquire satellites. On the satellite page it says "Acquiring Satellites" at the top and it shows the circles below it but doesn't show any satellites. I left it on all day and it never gave up and asked me what I wanted to do about not acquiring the satellites like it usually does when I'm in a cave or something. The sat page just said "Acquiring Satellites" all day. Everything else seems to work. I downloaded some geocacaches to it no problem. The other screen/pages work fine.

 

I had software version 3.7 and GPS SW version 0.00s. I upgraded to software version 3.9 and chipset G. No difference. Any ideas? Is there anyway to "reset" the unit or "hard start?"

 

Thanks

Edited by GrnXnham
Link to comment

Backup your unit first (save waypoints and any other data). Then press the power button while holding down PAGE and ENTER.

 

EDIT: This is the hard reset process for the 60CSx, but it should also work for the 60Cx.

 

Thanks. I've tried the hard reset now and it didn't help.

Link to comment

YES!!!!!!!

 

Much thanks to Saltyvinegar for that link!

 

As it turns out, Garmin's webupdater software for the Mac doesn't work and I didn't know that.

 

I had already used webupdater with my Mac to update the firmware. It went through the process and then said the upload to my GPSr was "successful." So I figured my GPSr had a hardware problem.

 

The website linked above, however, told me that the webupdater for the Mac wasn't working since under GPS software on my GPSr, it said my software version was 0.00 when it should have been 2.90. My firmware was corrupted and the Mac version of Webupdater had not fixed it.

 

So I downloaded the version 2.90 firmware .exe file from Garmin and then transferred the .exe file to an old PC. (.exe files won't run on a Mac and my old PC isn't connected to the internet.)

 

I then ran the .exe file on the old PC to update the firmware and it was fixed.

 

Just wanted others with Macs to know NOT to rely on Garmin's Mac software in case they have this same problem.

 

And Garmin was worthless as far as help with this. They wanted me to send in my unit to the tune of $120 to fix it. Kind of sad that people here are more knowledgeable than Garmin is when it comes to a Garmin GPSr.

 

Thanks for the help.

Link to comment

As it turns out, Garmin's webupdater software for the Mac doesn't work and I didn't know that.

 

I had already used webupdater with my Mac to update the firmware. It went through the process and then said the upload to my GPSr was "successful." So I figured my GPSr had a hardware problem.

Did you check the "Additional Updates" button in the lower half of the WebUpdater window?
Link to comment

As it turns out, Garmin's webupdater software for the Mac doesn't work and I didn't know that.

 

I had already used webupdater with my Mac to update the firmware. It went through the process and then said the upload to my GPSr was "successful." So I figured my GPSr had a hardware problem.

Did you check the "Additional Updates" button in the lower half of the WebUpdater window?

 

Yep. Twice.

Edited by GrnXnham
Link to comment

And Garmin was worthless as far as help with this. They wanted me to send in my unit to the tune of $120 to fix it. Kind of sad that people here are more knowledgeable than Garmin is when it comes to a Garmin GPSr.

 

 

I need to say, that I had the same problem a few weeks ago. On a Sunday, at 11:39 it just lost the program.

Very knowledgable person from Garmin helped me fix the problem. He said that they do not know why the problem occurs, as they can't get it to duplicate in the lab

 

Escomag

Link to comment

As it turns out, Garmin's webupdater software for the Mac doesn't work and I didn't know that.

 

I had already used webupdater with my Mac to update the firmware. It went through the process and then said the upload to my GPSr was "successful." So I figured my GPSr had a hardware problem.

Did you check the "Additional Updates" button in the lower half of the WebUpdater window?

 

Yep. Twice.

OK, that's where the GPS SW is. Good to know.
Link to comment

And Garmin was worthless as far as help with this. They wanted me to send in my unit to the tune of $120 to fix it. Kind of sad that people here are more knowledgeable than Garmin is when it comes to a Garmin GPSr.

 

 

I need to say, that I had the same problem a few weeks ago. On a Sunday, at 11:39 it just lost the program.

Very knowledgable person from Garmin helped me fix the problem. He said that they do not know why the problem occurs, as they can't get it to duplicate in the lab

 

Sounds like you got the seasoned techie guy and I got the newbie!

Edited by GrnXnham
Link to comment

Sounds like you got the seasoned techie guy and I got the newbie!

A question I always drop is "So, how long have you been working for company name?" Many times I find out that I have years more experience than the level 1 tech and can answer many of his questions. Edited by coggins
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...