Unusual Event Idea

Tri_Again

For the past three years keep_on_shinin' and I (Tri_Again) have been caching almost every weekend. Over these three years we have gone from being new friends, to dating and now engaged. And while our relationship goes far beyond geocaching, both of us recognize the significance our time geocaching has played and is playing in the development of our relationship. When you spend endless hours with someone problem solving you learn a lot about them.

Anyway, keep_on_shinin' and I are now engaged. I actually proposed to her through a continental geocaching plan that worked perfectly (but that is a different story).

I have suggested to Leslie (keep_on_shinin') that since geocaching, and the geocaching community have been so instrumental in the development of our relationship, why don't we make our wedding a geocaching event as a way to say thank you for all that you've done for us.

Whether we've met you or not we consider all of you our friends.

The wedding itself will be casual in nature (both Leslie and I are going to be wearing jeans and T-shirts) but is going to be in a church, and very faith based. (Many of you have commented in the past on our "distinct" stamps which suggest our faith)

We've got a band hired, and the plan is to rock the house down in the wedding itself.

I've suggested to Leslie that if a wedding is about bringing friends together to celebrate, then why not invite our caching community (through an event) to join us. Like I said, whether we've met or not we consider you our friends.

Leslie is open to the idea, but wonders if an event should be more directly caching focused and thinks that maybe people would not want to come, or this may not be an appropriate thing to do.

I figure, they may be out caching, stop for a couple hours, party with us in the service, and for a brief social after and then right back out caching...no dressing up needed, no gifts needed, expected or wanted, just share in our time, and get a smiley at the same time. What could be better than that.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is, what do people think. Is this appropriate or not. Please be honest, I want to do the right thing in the end, and as a result if it's not appropriate I'd rather hear that now. On the other hand if it is appropriate, then I'd like to proceed with confidence that this would be a fun unique event for all.

So please, share your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and comments.

Jeffrey

(Tri_Again)

I like the idea. It's not much different than some meet & greet events or the monthly pizza & beer event that we have here at a local restaurant. I suggest that you both wear TB dog tags so you can be "discovered" by the geocachers in the crowd.

Geocaching has proven to be a big part of our relationship too and this would be a beautiful way to honour the role geocaching has played in your lives. If I lived there, I'd certainly attend even though I've never met either one of you before.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding and keep on cachin'!

Another group from Sutton, ON was looking for Geo-related vows, so far only one response to that effect:

Bride: I, Jane, take you GROOMNAME, to be my lawfully wedded husband... for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, through DNF and Archival, and even when you buy all those expensive toys, and insist on going on instinct rather then following the arrow.

Minister to Bride: Do you take this man to be your husband?

Bride: I do.

Groom: I, GROOMNAME, take you BRIDENAME , to be my spouse, in the Canoe or in wilderness, at the computer logging finds, From N89 W180 through S89 E179, or with the geo-pub crew, as long as we both shall live.

Minister to Groom: Do you take this woman to be your wife?

Bride: He does.

Is it appropriate? Whomever says it is not is wrong - it is your wedding, and you can do it however you wish. Dress up as klingons, or hold it eau-natural - up to you!

Edited by Juicepig

Thanks for the feedback so far, I look forward to hearing more peoples thoughts.

Just as a point of clarity, the wedding itself will not be a caching oriented wedding (ie vows will not have a caching spin). This only caching related item in the service will be that we will reveal how keep_on_shinin' choose her name at the end of the service. But even that will be subtle, and you'll have to look for it.

I guess when I ask about appropriate I'm thinking that since this is a religious service (which is important to Leslie and I but we understand and respect that this is a taboo subject for many) I'm just wondering if adding a caching event (as an invite) to those who share out hobby/sport/recreation is suitable.

While the wedding promises to be casual in style (jeans, band, etc...) this should by no means be confused as being gimmicky.

I will personally be giving the message. Working Title: Love and Marriage, Love and Marriage (A message so great I named it twice)

Anyway, I would still love to hear what people think. Would dropping in for a couple hours on a wedding be a suitable event?

Thanks again, I love hearing from all of you

I think this has been done in the US before, I can't remember if it was in the forums or if I stumbled across the event page. I don't remember the exact details but it was an open invitation through an event inviting all cachers to attend the wedding ceremony. The idea was very well recieved and attended by the local geocaching community.

It's your wedding, you can do it any way you want.

It sounds appropriate enough to me and if I were in your neck of the woods I would love to stop for the event. I think it's cool that you want to share this with cachers. I think there may be something similar happening in BC next summer.

Congratulations!

The turtles have alluded to that.... :grin:

I like the idea, but if you are worried about the religious aspect, make the event be the reception, with an open invite for the ceremony.

First a huge congratulations (I tend to meander so feel free to tune out now!).. lol

A wedding should be a celebration between the two that are getting married and you should be able to do it anyway you want.. not the way a mother inlaw wants it, not the way the family wants it, nor the way society has deemed it acceptable.

Do what makes you happy!! It is the first day of the rest of your life so in 10 years you should be able to look back and say - wow that was what I wanted..

Our wedding will be a side event to our bigger event next August (sorry for those that think weddings should be a big deal - I'll (Mrs. Turtle) will be in jeans - think of it like the Texas Holdem Event - without the ante's.. lol www.greatcopperrush.blogspot.com or for this years www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com

We researched quite a few online events and found a few wedding one's.. however in most cases the wedding itself was the event - so yours does vary in that regard. But for some of us that is because the only friends and family we have our geocachers.. lol for Mr. Turtle & I.. there is no social circle outside geocaching so it's a logical combination. Our vows will be caching related & it's sad but that is what makes us happy - it'll be a 3 day event where we'll be expecting our guests to show up covered in dust, dirt - if they shower before hand we will be disapointed as we should be out in the mud with them! & be talking more about the caches they found earlier that day then what the couple look like, while having a cold bottle of Bud while watchin and getting together for a potluck dinner counting points for the winners soon after!

As for is it suitable as an event - well if it meets the geocache.com guidelines - then yes it is.. I think that there has evolved over time too many politics in caching..

Caching is meant to be full of love, fun, laughing, adventure and pushing oneself to new horizons - when did it become "what do other people think.. ".. lol I'm sure those first cache placers and event hosts when describing what they do to others got the "and that's fun'

If we were there we'd love to come to your wedding - as a cacher with other cachers at least we'd be able to have something to talk about and when it comes time for Kareoke - we could harass the others who sing just as bad as us in the logs..

as for dressing as klingons - well we won't but you never know - Grafinator might.. lol ]

As for the religious aspect - well that is a personal decision - I would suggest if you want to leave it open to cachers then put on the cache page what to expect and that they also have the option of just the reception if they are more comfortable - honestly for a wedding I don't think it would make much of a difference - .. Weddings are the one time where people can overlook their own views.. which is good..

So enjoy, relax and place a cache in honor of the wedding!

Making your wedding a caching event is appropriate if you both want to do it.

As a pastor, I think much more about the couple than I do the wedding.

I could care less if they want blue flowers or pink pews -

it's their love for each other and their commitment that counts.

If you're working together, and love the idea, have a ball!

I was just looking at the policy for creating event caches and this jumped out at me:

[Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.]

I'm thinking that since the primary attendees would not be geocachers...at least at our wedding. While it would be amazing to have geocachers join us, at now leaning towards the "not" direction at the moment.

I would say that the majority of the feedback so far has been in support of doing it, which has been amazing (thank you) I'm I think we were just about to decide in favour of the idea, when this came along.

Am I reading too much into this policy sentence? (Can you feel my uncertainty!!!!)

Thanks again,

Jeff (Tri_Again)

I was just looking at the policy for creating event caches and this jumped out at me:

[Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.]

I'm thinking that since the primary attendees would not be geocachers...at least at our wedding. While it would be amazing to have geocachers join us, at now leaning towards the "not" direction at the moment.

I would say that the majority of the feedback so far has been in support of doing it, which has been amazing (thank you) I'm I think we were just about to decide in favour of the idea, when this came along.

Am I reading too much into this policy sentence? (Can you feel my uncertainty!!!!)

Thanks again,

Jeff (Tri_Again)

Try asking a reviewer. I have seen court cases as events.

Thanks again,

Jeff (Tri_Again)

That is not true. It was my event and the "event" portion was the lunch after the court case. Here is a link to the event.

Thanks again,

Jeff (Tri_Again)

That is not true. It was my event and the "event" portion was the lunch after the court case. Here is a link to the event.

Sorry, wasn't talking about your event, I was talking about an event years ago in the states where the event was the hearing.

Regardless what has happened in the past, a reviewer will give you an answer and or help figure it out.

Edited by Keith Watson