GPSr Device for wife and child...

Well I ordered a PN-40 the other day and then got to thinking.(My downfall according to my wife) I believe the -40 is going to be to complicated for my wife to use. (I know it is, not to tech savvy.) Is there a more simple, GPSr for my wife and daughter to use for geocaching when I am not with them? Of course, I will keep the PN-40 for myself. ;) My daughter is 6 and loves the outdoors so I think this new found hobby is going to be great.

Jason

Well I ordered a PN-40 the other day and then got to thinking.(My downfall according to my wife) I believe the -40 is going to be to complicated for my wife to use. (I know it is, not to tech savvy.) Is there a more simple, GPSr for my wife and daughter to use for geocaching when I am not with them? Of course, I will keep the PN-40 for myself. ;) My daughter is 6 and loves the outdoors so I think this new found hobby is going to be great.

Jason

Oh, come on, Jason, I've got to get downstairs and watch the race soon.

OK, I have a direct answer to that.

I go geocaching with my grandchildren:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=997725

Sometimes we take the boy next door, just turned 8, with us.

He loves it, too.

Then his dad asked me what kind of GPSr to get him.

I did not recommend the PN-40 to him.

At the party, he showed me the Garmin Etrex and I confirmed a good choice for him.

10-4?

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I love the Garmin Oregon series for this purpose, as one can change the screens to suit the individual with their own profile. Set it for 2-3 touchscreen buttons for the kids, then change the profile for your advanced liking when you need it.....sweet. Throw a background picture of the kids on the screen for the wife, and everyone will be happy. ;)

mm

The Garmin Etrex seems to be the most popular "beginner" unit, however I'll also put in a vote for the Garmin Colorado. I picked up a Colorado 400t just this Spring, and never regretted it. The wheel navigation, generally simple UI, colorful map and icons made it a cinch for my 6yo son to learn to use.

Also, the Colorado has "paperless" geocaching, meaning that the cache names, descriptions, GC codes, hints, sizes, terrain and difficulty ratings, recent logs, etc. are all on the unit, so I can just grab it and go. There is no need to try to match coordinates to caches or print out and carry a binder full of cache descriptions.

It's a pricey unit (though I picked mine up for only $340 on sale, so watch sales), but for us it was worth it.

--Susan

I don't think a PN-40 is more complicated than many other units on the market. It's Topo USA that complicates things. As long as you pre-load caches and maps for them, it may be fine.

The only GPS that comes to mind, in terms of being very user-friendly in the field, is the Garmin Oregon series. Of course I haven't tried the Geomate Jr. yet.