New caches with no treasure

First off let me say that we don't do swaps that often these days. When we first started out, and Zip junior was a bit younger, then the novelties we found in caches were a signigicant part of the fun and were important for keeping her interested. These days the lure of the plastic is usually enough incentive. I still carry a bag of cache treasure though so that if something takes our fancy we can trade.

In recent months though we have come across quite a few caches that contained nothing but a log book. I don't mean micros - obviously we dont expect to find swaps in these. Nor do I mean older caches where general cache degradation means that all the treasure has long since been nabbed and not replaced. I am referring to newish caches in a decent size container where there appears to be no treasure whatsoever.

I wondered whether, as the sport matures, more people are getting passe about the treasure so people decide not to bother with it at all. A shame possibly because I still think it is a great way to get the kids attention.

Alternatively maybe there is some sad individual in our area who is plundering new caches of their contents! Seems a bit unlikely though.

Then again, a few months ago we found one cache in a really quite large container. The description had said something along the lines of "plenty of space for people to leave bits and bobs." But that is all there was - space! We wondered whether the cache setter assumed that this was how it worked - he left an empty box and people found it and filled it up.

Anyway - I just wondered whether others had noticed this at all and whether it was growing trend. How important do people feel it is to stock a cache? Do you feel a bit let down if you find a largish container and then there is nothing in it to swap with - even though you know more than half the time you will TNLN anyway?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

The cache contents sure have reduced in 4years that i have been into the hobby......not sure what i would like to see in the box's but the kids stuff is not worth them exchanging anymore.

We carry quite a few keyrings and pens from the GC shop etc to leave as a keepsake for those that want them but dont often take anything but TB's/coins.....unless the kids want to swap something.

Some caches still begin life well-stocked, but I suspect they're a minority, and those that do start off that way soon deteriorate. When I placed my first micro (not my first cache) in January 2003 I managed to pack a dozen trade items into it, even though it was a 35mm film canister. Those days are gone...

I agree, contents of caches are not what they once where. We had a local cache go live this week and the contents were a log book and five paperclips. Very bizzare.

We generally do a swap and use the items we collect to set up our new caches. ;)

I think many of the newer members see a bigger container simply as a bigger log book holder. I have seen brand new caches with a marble or a singular little plastic toy in it, the 'best' yet was a few weeks ago when it just had a stone in it! It had been found by a few others so not sure if that was done to the cache owner or a previous finder who wanted the marble or paperclip, so left it as a swap. We have three children and rarely swap as there is nothing but rubbish left in the bottom in many caches these days; no more do people seem to trade evenly ;) . We visited a 2001 cache yesterday that was virtually depleted so we topped it up, as it was in a nice area and is worth finding.

On a brighter note there are seven new caches sat close by ready to go out, they are all full of swaps although not to the value of items we placed in previous caches we have placed, not that there are many Gushoneybun caches out there ;)

Anyway - I just wondered whether others had noticed this at all and whether it was growing trend. How important do people feel it is to stock a cache? Do you feel a bit let down if you find a largish container and then there is nothing in it to swap with - even though you know more than half the time you will TNLN anyway?

I've noticed this trend also. When I come across a cache with little or no swag for trade items, I'll throw a few things into it and not bother to take anything.

I keep a good amount of trade items in my swag-bag I carry with me when the cache is a regular or larger size. I'll stock my bag ever week or so from a few Dollar stores, sale items from walmart or whatever store I come across and $10.00 will usually fill my bag.. (hey... it's a hobby I don't mind spending a little here and there)..

Now I won't add anything to a container that is a poor container (not keeping the contents dry or if it's cracked/broken)... I will, if I happen to have a container like it, replace it.. ;)

Until I feel like I'm spending too much to re-stock swag, I'll keep on doing it.. ;)

I too have found a number of swapless caches recently. I have noted that a cache hider near us (and near to two of the previous posters) may be a young person (judging by comments in previous logs and the handwriting in the caches) so I wonder if it is someone who does not have the money to buy many swaps (yup I know they dont have to cost a huge amount but...). I did fill one with swaps and a pencil as it had plenty of room.

I find the wrapping of a piece of paper in clingfilm and calling it a log book slightly dodgy too...

But, should we discourage a young person who enjoys the sport/hobby/game and who perhaps doesn't have the support of a helpful parent/spare cash for caches?

I like being inclusive...(mostly!)

As a finder I'm not interested in swaps at all now - it's been a while since I saw anything in a cache box that looked remotely like a fun/nice/appealing thing. Mostly it's cheap plastic tat if there's anything beyond detritus left after plenty of trading down. My daughter is also too old for trinkets. Do come across the odd box that's well stocked, which is great but I don't swap anything.

As a hider. these days I do put some caches out with no swaps in, which is partly due to my lack of interest, partly easy availability of good (but inexpensive) items, and partly overall cost. Some small L&Ls don't have much room in either. If I come across some fun items I don't mind buying them and putting them in a cache, but I try to avoid shopping so don't see much!

I do appreciate that small cachers are quite keen on swaps but having been out with several, I'm afraid they soon have to get used to disappointment! ;)

I'm not particularly interested in swaps, I enjoy the finding. Also, I tend to cache on my own. But....... having been caching with friends & family over the last few months I have noticed either the total lack of stuff in caches or the total tat that has been left. ;)

This got me thinking about what I have left in the past & I'm guilty of leaving tat & promotional freebies. ;)

After the last trip with a disappointed 6 yr old, I decided to stock my caching bag with some better types of Swaps - the type of stuff my mates kids would get a kick out of finding. The supermarkets & pound shops sell party favours, packs of plastic toys, dinasours etc. For a tenner I stocked up & a lot of stuff could be split down as well. For 99p I got a tub of 15 mini highlighter pens, they split into 5 packs of 3, large bags of marbles split into half bags, etc etc. :D

Yes I live in a city & I have access to lots of discount shops & all the top supermarket chains which makes a difference. I now carry a bag of swaps with me & I've even emptied damaged & broken tat & fully restocked the container. That said, I appreciate that its younger children who particulary enjoy this element so I tend to add/restock caches that are buggy accessible or don't involve a long hike up & down hills & fells.

I think some caches lend themselves to holding decent swaps & some don't. Some people enjoy finding swaps, some aren't bothered...... I think cache containers & contents reflect this ;)

I've been caching for well over 2 years now and have met less than a dozen kids en route.

I presume only they would be interested in tat from hamburger chains, keyrings and the like.

So surely the great majority of cachers (ie 8 years and above) don't really care what's in the box.

Or ever swap.

So I have no problems with caches without "treasures"

In fact I welcome it.

Hi all

I have noticed the lack of imagination of late, although i have not been caching long.

however i have found some well stocked caches, someone from around our area puts PC bits cables hard drives Etc though not a complete one yet.

I have found that age is not really important for swaps, my daughter 16 still likes to take the odd thing.

I have also found severall economic ways of finding both caches and swaps, jumble sales! everything is cheap! and if you have an eye for it you can find some good stuff, as well as the tat.

It also helps if you help to organise them as you can get the pick of the crop!

Give it a try, its the best form of recyling i have found.

Like many, I take a few items with me (usually in the car, but occasionally I remember to put them in the rucksack too!) to do swaps, but the quality of so many of the items in the caches is pretty poor, so I don't normally do so. The only thing which gives me a bit of excitement apart from the find of course is seeing a GC or TB in there. As I don't normally notice which caches I download have these in, the surprise is there on arrival (which is just as well as I may have been beaten to the cache between downloading and arrival).

It's a shame that the quality seems to have diminished, and if I ever get round to setting any, I'll try to ensure they do have nice goodies in, but it's a difficult thing to moderate...

:D

Edited by Original A1

Personally I'm not that bothered if there's no treasure in the cache - unless there's something in the cache that I specifically want I don't bother doing swaps.

And often even if there is something in the cache that catches my eye I'll end up leaving it there because I don't have anything suitable to trade for it.

I'm a (moderately) prolific setter of caches in the Havant area and have to agree with most of the above comments.

In this area, the quality of cache contents seems to rapidly decline to the point where only tat is left at the 6 month point. Obviously, that's a generalisation with some caches (and cachers) better than others.

I have virtually given up expecting to find any worthwhile swops in caches which are more than a week or two old. As a rule, I carry very little with me, do no swops, and only TBs or coins are of any interest.

I'm well known for being an advocate of ammo boxes and larger containers in general.

My argument, for rural locations, is that if you can't find a hide for at least a 1 litre container then why set a cache there.

Of course micros can have their place in urban environments.

Although I will continue to put out ammo boxes and similar sized containers for my hides, I am seriously considering the possibilty of not stocking them with swop items . With boxes costing around £5, and contents another £5 or so, I am ready to give up the practice of providing "freebees" to all and sundry at my 60+ caches.

As our US cousins say; "Go figure"

If people are that keen on trading items, then they can put something in for a change!

I'm a (moderately) prolific setter of caches in the Havant area and have to agree with most of the above comments.

In this area, the quality of cache contents seems to rapidly decline to the point where only tat is left at the 6 month point. Obviously, that's a generalisation with some caches (and cachers) better than others.

I have virtually given up expecting to find any worthwhile swops in caches which are more than a week or two old. As a rule, I carry very little with me, do no swops, and only TBs or coins are of any interest.

I'm well known for being an advocate of ammo boxes and larger containers in general.

My argument, for rural locations, is that if you can't find a hide for at least a 1 litre container then why set a cache there.

Of course micros can have their place in urban environments.

Although I will continue to put out ammo boxes and similar sized containers for my hides, I am seriously considering the possibilty of not stocking them with swop items . With boxes costing around £5, and contents another £5 or so, I am ready to give up the practice of providing "freebees" to all and sundry at my 60+ caches.

As our US cousins say; "Go figure"

If people are that keen on trading items, then they can put something in for a change!

Bah Humbug :grin:

To be honest i can see where you are coming from.

but all that glitters is not necessary expensive, and i dont think you need to fill a container, but quality is better than quantity.

and thanks for all the caches :P