Web hosting for your caching group?

We don't use the free ones here since we have a pretty large group River City Caching and Dining Society that has its own website but I do use Meetup for a couple of other smaller groups I enjoy.

They post their events as cache events so everyone gets that notification.

It would seem that for a subset of our organization something like Meetup would work. You just wouldn't be able to classify them as cache events since they aren't open to all. The last statement was meant to be a comment and not judgmental at all. Sorry everone seems to be very sensitive on religion these days.

For basic free stuff, MySpace or Facebook might be a decent route. For hosting a true website, I think you will find that most free sites limit your bandwidth quite a bit and litter your site with ads that you probably won't want. For $10 or less/month you can get basic hosting on a number of sites. I have generally been happy with bluehost. I have had a couple of issues with them, but they were not of the type that a small geocaching group would likely run into. In general, they are very user friendly and have great support.

Another option would be to use a free blogging service such as blogger or wordpress.com to make a site. If you just want a place for basic info and don't mind the blog format, that would work quite well.

Yet another option is a Wiki . There are several free Wiki sites. I've used http://www.wikidot.com , for example.

Edited by Urubu

A few cachers and I have been looking into forming a local christian caching group for sometime now. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with any of the free web hosting sites. We don't need much right now, just trying to get started and need a place to call home and to say who we are. Any info would be great! ;)

Most Internet Service Providers give you "free" webspace just for being an account holder. Definitely check that out. Even AOL last time I checked, although I haven't had an AOL account in this century. ;)

I suppose Geocities isn't so bad. They've been around since shortly after Al Gore invented the internet (and were bought out by Yahoo several years later). They have ads, but never annoying pop-ups. Many of the free webspace providers have pop-ups. Tripod comes to mind for that.

A few cachers and I have been looking into forming a local christian caching group for sometime now. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with any of the free web hosting sites. We don't need much right now, just trying to get started and need a place to call home and to say who we are. Any info would be great! ;)

Most Internet Service Providers give you "free" webspace just for being an account holder. Definitely check that out. Even AOL last time I checked, although I haven't had an AOL account in this century. ;)

I suppose Geocities isn't so bad. They've been around since shortly after Al Gore invented the internet (and were bought out by Yahoo several years later). They have ads, but never annoying pop-ups. Many of the free webspace providers have pop-ups. Tripod comes to mind for that.

Word is Geocities is going to be shut down soon. Pretty amazing after it was so popular years ago.

Most Internet Service Providers give you "free" webspace just for being an account holder. Definitely check that out. Even AOL last time I checked, although I haven't had an AOL account in this century. :D

Word is Geocities is going to be shut down soon. Pretty amazing after it was so popular years ago.

Oh crud, they are! And they are definitely not accepting new accounts right now. I have many of the graphics on my cache pages stored on a Geocities account! Thanks for the heads up, although I'm sure if I'd logged in I'd have found out.

Yes, as popular as Geocites was, this is pretty amazing. It's going to be pretty hard for the OP fo find some free web hosting, let me tell you.

Jaguar Hosting is one of the best hosting companies around. I have been with them for years. They own their own servers and are not middle men. The support is first class and the owner and top management frequent their public forum. For less than $10 a month you can have top notch shared hosting with generous bandwidth and as much HD space as you need.

www.jaguarpc.com

Edited by Frank Broughton