FTF Prize Idea

Okay, so I don't want to spend 10 bucks a piece for FTF coins but I wanted to give something a little personal to people who get FTFs on my caches--I plan on hiding several now that I'm so into this. Anyway, I designed a bumper sticker that basically reads (anyone can copy that idea I don't care :laughing: ). So, I made a custom bumper sticker that says

"I was the FTF a Genuine CubsFanSean (my ID) Cache" I added a few of the free logos and thought it looked pretty good. ENTER the wife, the ball and chain etc. She says the ID is stupid. No one will want to put it on their car or enjoy it as the FTF prize... . I can get 100 of these for a buck a piece. . . or buy FTF coins etc... shoot, I could do the boring lottery ticket, gift certificate etc.

So, my question for the other cachers is which would you rather have??

CubsFanSean

Anyway, I designed a bumper sticker that basically reads (anyone can copy that idea I don't care :laughing: ). So, I made a custom bumper sticker that says

"I was the FTF a Genuine CubsFanSean (my ID) Cache" I added a few of the free logos and thought it looked pretty good. ENTER the wife, the ball and chain etc. She says the ID is stupid. No one will want to put it on their car or enjoy it as the FTF prize... .

CubsFanSean

I wouldn't put it on my car, but I would put it on my sig item collection case next to my Bronze Earthcache Master sticker.

I think it's cool and if it pleases you to do it, GO FOR IT!

I think its an awesome idea. any FTF prize is cool. I have 11 FTF and 2 of them had prizes. I kept both prizes,still have them and even get them out and look at them once in a while. It would be cool to get a personalized bumper sticker, even if it doesnt go on the truck.

I have never been a bumper sticker guy (limited window decals only), but I also really like the sig items. There was a cacher in Yuma (Gideon-X) who put some customized buttons/pins in the cache for FTF - I think his friend had one of the devices for making buttons.

Anything personalized is cool, but not sure if people would use the bumper sticker (not because of the ID name though).

I would have to guess that nobody but those rare individuals that paper every square inch of their cars would actually apply a bumper sticker like that.

That doesn't mean it's not a cool idea :laughing: I have a lot of stickers that are meaningful to me but don't go on the car. I think it's a cool idea and if you like it, go for it :D If you're using the bumper stickers as just an idea to reward someone, maybe a patch would be more used by finders. I know a lot of people like the patches they find in caches and also know a lot of people that decorate their packs or blankets with patches that have personal significance. I would imagine that a simple patch would be marginally more expensive than a bumpersticker but might be more lasting :laughing:

Just an idea but like I said, go for what makes YOU happy!

I'm not a sticker-type person either, but it would be cool to put in an album. For my own FTF packets, I create a FTF certificate that can be suitably framed, put into an album, or thrown away (sometimes, if the cache is large enough, I include the frame). The certificate is 8.5 x 5.5in (half of a legal-sized sheet of paper) and I try to get artsy about it so that it looks like something you might want to keep.

I see your bumper sticker as a similar idea -- I wouldn't put it on my car, but I might just put it in a 100-Yen-store lucite frame (which actually look pretty nice) and put it on my "trophy" shelf. : ) Especially if you had a spot in there listing which cache I'd FTF'd. I think your wife underestimates the joy that some cachers feel when they FTF. : )

I think you're missing the point here. You don't want to win a debate with your wife. If you win, you lose.

:laughing:

Same here - I wouldn't put it on my car, but I'd gladly collect it. But it has nothing to do with your ID. I'm just not a bumper sticker kind of person.

Edited by Chrysalides

I don't know much about bumper stickers (we don't really see them much here in UK) so I'm guessing this might be a bit like those oval stickers we have when travelling in Europe i.e. about 7" x 5"? Anyway... it's good, it's something different... If we got one for a FTF, I doubt MrB would stick it on the car but I'd probably mount it on card, laminate it and use it as a smart mug coaster!

Go for it ;)

MrsB

Not really into putting bumper stickers on the van either. But, I definitely think it's a neat idea & I would add it to my collection of FTF prizes.

Now if you get those oval stickers (like MrsB said) that had a big 'FTF' in the middle and your tagline around the bottom edge (or something similar), I might be more tempted to actually use it instead of just collecting it.

Not trying to stir up any trouble at home.. truly... but I like the idea. We don't generally sticker the cars, although my husband has put a few smaller decals on our cars (including a TB that just isn't being logged) but that is by exception. We do, however, have a number of Nalgene bottles he has customized by wrapping with stickers. I liked the coaster idea as well.

If you plan on at least creating 50 caches, it would be really cool if you took your bumber sticker idea and created a Pathtag,they would cost a dollar a piece ($ 1.00) and it would only be available to the person who is FTF on your cache. Can add to key chain, swag bag, show it off, etc.

Either way, I always collect the FTF and try to add to my caching dispaly area of my office. ;) Go for what makes you happy, you are the one doing all the work.... ;)

Edited by Frozen Buns

Okay, so I don't want to spend 10 bucks a piece for FTF coins but I wanted to give something a little personal to people who get FTFs on my caches--I plan on hiding several now that I'm so into this. Anyway, I designed a bumper sticker that basically reads (anyone can copy that idea I don't care ;) ). So, I made a custom bumper sticker that says

"I was the FTF a Genuine CubsFanSean (my ID) Cache" I added a few of the free logos and thought it looked pretty good. ENTER the wife, the ball and chain etc. She says the ID is stupid. No one will want to put it on their car or enjoy it as the FTF prize... . I can get 100 of these for a buck a piece. . . or buy FTF coins etc... shoot, I could do the boring lottery ticket, gift certificate etc.

CubsFanSean

I would much rather you hide caches where the reward is a unique vista, a great history lesson, or a cool spot unknown by most.

It is beyond me why geocaching has evolved into bribing people to hunt caches. I posted thread about this subject last year. Rewards, prizes, incentives, certificates, What happened to finding geocaches because they are there?

... It is beyond me why geocaching has evolved into bribing people to hunt caches. I posted thread about this subject last year. Rewards, prizes, incentives, certificates, What happened to finding geocaches because they are there?

Oooooo! Bribery! Surely not? Not in geocaching! ;)

Isn't that just a little harsh, Mr Fox? ;) The offer of a $1 bumper sticker / soon-to-be-converted-into snazzy mug coaster, a wooden token engraved FTF or a laminate certificate wouldn't ping on my radar as a bribe, just an interesting momento of a FTF, if I was lucky enough to get it.

Now, if he'd casually mentioned crisp £20/$20 notes, a nicely understated diamond nose stud or a voucher for 4 meals at the local seafood restaurant, then I might agree with you...

MrsB ;)

... It is beyond me why geocaching has evolved into bribing people to hunt caches. I posted thread about this subject last year. Rewards, prizes, incentives, certificates, What happened to finding geocaches because they are there?

Isn't that just a little harsh, Mr Fox? ;) The offer of a $1 bumper sticker / soon-to-be-converted-into snazzy mug coaster, a wooden token engraved FTF or a laminate certificate wouldn't ping on my radar as a bribe, just an interesting momento of a FTF, if I was lucky enough to get it.

Now, if he'd casually mentioned crisp £20/$20 notes, a nicely understated diamond nose stud or a voucher for 4 meals at the local seafood restaurant, then I might agree with you...

MrsB ;)

I wasn't referring to the original poster, I was referring the the idea that cachers need a prize for finding a cache first.

Anyone remember the days before geocoins, when people dropped travel bugs into caches for FTF prizes.

MrsB ;)

I wasn't referring to the original poster, I was referring the the idea that cachers need a prize for finding a cache first.

Anyone remember the days before geocoins, when people dropped travel bugs into caches for FTF prizes.

Kit, I think your viewpoint is a little one sided.

If a cache owner wants to leave an FTF prize, it's their choice. I have never heard anyone complain that they didn't get an FTF prize when they were FTF on a cache without one. Not in a log, at an event, or in a forum.

If there is percieved social pressure to provide an FTF prize, I think it's personal. A keepin' up with the Jones' thang.

I remember the old days you speak of since I'm in my 7th year of caching and I don't exactly see it your way though FTF prizes were not the norm in many areas I cached. Ever since my first cache hidden, I have always provided an FTF incentive.

I spent just under $200 getting the die made for my regular FTF prize. Money well spent and not bribery IMO:

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

If a cache owner wants to leave an FTF prize, it's their choice. I have never heard anyone complain that they didn't get an FTF prize when they were FTF on a cache without one. Not in a log, at an event, or in a forum.

If there is percieved social pressure to provide an FTF prize, I think it's personal. A keepin' up with the Jones' thang.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3661089

Hello,

I'm still learning about Geocaching. The first person to find ours was asking if we could send them a FTF Certificate. Where would I find one, fill out and how to send it?

Thanks

Arnie

I think i'm going to use this one myself. ;)

b38838d6-d624-4407-89ef-48ea9695055b.jpg

It takes a bit of work, but I started a FTF travel bug (Seattle FTF Bell) a few years ago that's been fun for most. The FTFer creates a new geocache to put the FTF Bell into, and the process starts all over again.

But I agree with those of you that said that the FTF itself was the motivation; a FTF prize is just a bonus. Put something you'd like to find in the cache.

Team Maccabee

It takes a bit of work, but I started a FTF travel bug (Seattle FTF Bell) a few years ago that's been fun for most. The FTFer creates a new geocache to put the FTF Bell into, and the process starts all over again.

But I agree with those of you that said that the FTF itself was the motivation; a FTF prize is just a bonus. Put something you'd like to find in the cache.

Team Maccabee

There's a TB and a series of caches just like that in Houston. I never participated, but everyone that has really loves the side game getting ownership of that tb.

Okay, so I don't want to spend 10 bucks a piece for FTF coins but I wanted to give something a little personal to people who get FTFs on my caches--I plan on hiding several now that I'm so into this. Anyway, I designed a bumper sticker that basically reads (anyone can copy that idea I don't care ;) ). So, I made a custom bumper sticker that says

CubsFanSean

Never put bumper stickers on my car. Sorry, but I especially wouldn't stick one on with someone else's caching name. Unless of course, advertising royalties are paid. ;)

I remember the old days you speak of since I'm in my 7th year of caching and I don't exactly see it your way though FTF prizes were not the norm in many areas I cached. Ever since my first cache hidden, I have always provided an FTF incentive.

I spent just under $200 getting the die made for my regular FTF prize. Money well spent and not bribery IMO.

Very well said. And good on you Snoogans for that cool idea. I like to give FTF prizes and do not consider it a bribe. I mean, come on, that would only bring one person out - that is IF you advertised it, which I don't.

I don't know but once 2 cachers were arguing about what to do when 2 people got a FTF on the same cache. I said, "Well, if there is a coin in the cache, then let one person get the FTF, and let the other person teke the coin." If there are three, let 1 fin the the cache, 1 sign FTF,and perhaps the last one take the coin. It might not work out like that really easily, but it worth a try. By the way, they liked my suggestion. Thanks, and have a great day. gwf :grin:

I don't know but once 2 cachers were arguing about what to do when 2 people got a FTF on the same cache. I said, "Well, if there is a coin in the cache, then let one person get the FTF, and let the other person teke the coin." If there are three, let 1 fin the the cache, 1 sign FTF,and perhaps the last one take the coin. It might not work out like that really easily, but it worth a try. By the way, they liked my suggestion. Thanks, and have a great day. gwf :grin:

I have used that method to solve that very problem when with my sons. On the first one, the one with the fewest FTFs gets it & the other gets the TB and then switch it on the next one. It has worked great so far. In one case the 'next up' declined the FTF and took the TB instead.