FRS 2-Way Radio Use By Geocachers?

I see that the geocaching.com FAQ page says that here in the USA, "The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel" (paraphrased).

My question is simple: Does anyone actually use or monitor these FRS radio channels and for what purposes?

Pete

Don't expect much... basically if you can't hit 'em with a rock you can't talk to them. :laughing:

My handhelds are Icom IC-F21GM units which are capable of 4-watts on the GMRS and first seven FRS channels. I typically use them for motorcycle to motorcycle communication and I've talked point-to-point over two miles with them set to the 2-watt setting. I've also hit a GMRS repeater that was 8+ miles away using the 4-watt setting.

My question was purely academic, though. I have the radios so I thought I'd ask, but I'm not particularly heartbroken that they aren't a commonly-used geocaching tool.

Pete

I just started using 2 way radios on channel 2 between my wife and I while out caching for when we are not in talking range of one another. Sometimes I will jump out of the car and walk a short distance, sometimes out of sight, and having the radios is nice. Sometimes we will get seperated while out hunting togeather too and the radios are nice over shouting at one another, or again, if we are out of sight.

I also got the radios because we are having a 3 day geocaching event coming up and according to the organizer channel 2 will be used. I've vollunteered to be geo-dog first-aid person as I'm certified by the Red Cross for this.

I have a set of 4 GMRS/FRS radios for a non-geocaching related purpose and I usually keep one in my geocaching bag just in case I need it, but I've not heard anyone on it locally.

-Gryffyth

P.S. Am I the only one who bothered to actually get the FCC license they say you need for operation on the GMRS frequencies?

I have a set of 4 GMRS/FRS radios for a non-geocaching related purpose and I usually keep one in my geocaching bag just in case I need it, but I've not heard anyone on it locally.

-Gryffyth

P.S. Am I the only one who bothered to actually get the FCC license they say you need for operation on the GMRS frequencies?

Nope, you're one of the TWO people who has a license. I have a pair of 5 watt GMRS/FRS radios and I actually have a license for the GMRS bands. People seem to think I'd have to be an idiot to actually be licensed but then most folks think I'm pretty weird anyway.

-Gryffyth

Nope, you're one of the TWO people who has a license. I have a pair of 5 watt GMRS/FRS radios and I actually have a license for the GMRS bands. People seem to think I'd have to be an idiot to actually be licensed but then most folks think I'm pretty weird anyway.

Make that three of us, however what pushed me over the edge (besides not wanting to risk my Amateur license) was that my family is covered when they are out caching with me since only BD and I are licensed on the Amateur bands.

Edited by baloo&bd

We have a pair of GMRS radios we use for when my wife wants to poke around in the area out in the boonies while I take the car and head off for a few local caches. When she's done she can call me to come pick her up. Cell phones would be easier but where we go, cell coverage is spotty.

The pair we use has a practical range of a little over 2 miles, which is good for 4-watt GMRS. FRS is fine for ranges up to about 1/2 mile. The advertised ranges of "bubble pack" FRS/GMRS talkies are all pure fantasy from the sales departments, and only good for mountaintop-to-mountaintop. They totally don't apply if there are trees, buildings or other terrain features between the two units. When they say "25 mile range" or "30 mile range", ignore it. They lie :D

I have a license too. Like baloo&bd, I didn't want to put my amateur license in jeopardy (and it's the right thing to do). I'm also a member of a club which operates a couple of GMRS repeaters but truth be known, I don't use them much. I typically use my cell phone instead.

Pete