Garmin City Navigator 2010

I am thinking about buying CN 2010 on the SD card, not DVD.

My question is, can I move the card from on Garmin GPS to another, or is there a code that will allow the card to be used in only one unit, like the DVD?

Thanks...

Nick

My feeling is that's the only advantage of the SD card. If you have several units that take SD cards you can move the maps from one to the other without any problem and it's cheaper than buying a license for each unit. Otherwise I recommend against it.

My feeling is that's the only advantage of the SD card. If you have several units that take SD cards you can move the maps from one to the other without any problem and it's cheaper than buying a license for each unit. Otherwise I recommend against it.

Thanks that what I wanted to know... move the maps ect.

Why do you recommend against it?

Nick

Nick

The main reason is that you can't upload the maps to your computer from the SD card. You will need the DVD version if you want the maps on your computer. In that case you will either need the DVD or both the DVD and SD card.

Drat! Wish I would have known that a couple weeks ago.

Nick

The main reason is that you can't upload the maps to your computer from the SD card. You will need the DVD version if you want the maps on your computer. In that case you will either need the DVD or both the DVD and SD card.

i'm probably missing so much, but for example: say i only use my vista hcx for geocaching and occasional auto-routing, i may use it for hiking or mountain biking in the future. why would i need to upload the maps to my pc? i also want to buy the card just because it seems so much easier, but if i'm gonna be missing out on a lot of features with the micro sd, i'll learn the dvd. so what i'm saying is: convince me. thanks. i'm about 50% tech savvy.

From my post in the link above:

DVD

+ You can plan a trip ahead, study the map on PC with a big screen.

If you are going on a cross country trip and would like to plan ahead, it's 10 time more easy to do this on the PC, compare to look in the small GPS screen. Not possible if you have the preloaded option.