Creating an EC after only finding one?

MTGeoPirates

We're really interested in creating several earthcaches in SW Montana (some great areas down here). Our dilemma is that we haven't found any (although that should change after next weekend when we find our first.) So should we wait until we've found several more to get a feel for what a good Earthcache is? I should note that I'm a bit of a rockhound and keep a copy of "Roadside Geology of Montana" and RSG of Yellowstone in the car most of the time. We've also done some scouting already and also consulted with a local geology professor, so I feel we're pretty well prepared. Your thoughts?

I don't think it's necessary to find one to create one. Reading the GSA Earthcache guidelines is what is necessary!

http://www.earthcache.org/

see Submittal Guidelines on the left margin of that page

We weren't really worried about what the guidelines had to say so much as what the EC community thought. Just looking for words of wisdom from those who've placed Earthcaches.

My opinion would be that if the research has been done and followed the guidelines then no problem. It's the site and the lesson that matter not the experience level of the developer. If after gaining experience you feel the page can be tweaked to make it a little better, you can do that also.

Bottom line, If I am in the area, I will visit your EarthCache :laughing: whether you have visited none or thousands.

In my opinion, nearly as important as reading the EC guidelines would be to study a few published Earthcaches (and their logs) to help get some ideas on how to set yours up. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to go out and find a few for that matter. As to "We can't have too many ECs.", I tend to disagree. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

In my opinion, nearly as important as reading the EC guidelines would be to study a few published Earthcaches (and their logs) to help get some ideas on how to set yours up. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to go out and find a few for that matter. As to "We can't have too many ECs.", I tend to disagree. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Did I say anyone should pick quantity over quality? One is not mutually exclusive of the other! :laughing:

I don't think it's necessary to find one to create one. Reading the GSA Earthcache guidelines is what is necessary!

http://www.earthcache.org/

see Submittal Guidelines on the left margin of that page

Couldn't agree more. Go for it but if for any reason you're unsure about whether your EC meets criteria then ask someone who has found/created a a few to review it for you. If you don't have any one close by I'll be happy to look it over but I don't consider myself an expert :laughing:

Did I say anyone should pick quantity over quality? One is not mutually exclusive of the other! ;)

Sorry I misunderstood, but when one makes a statement implying "we can't have too many" of something, it expresses to me a desire for a surplus with little regard for quality.