Cartrigde Unlock Codes - What a joke!

SecretSquirrel-BJC

You can go to some lengths to ensure that an associated geocache can not be found by easily reading the GWC file. However every cartridge can be unlocked on Wherigo by just downloading them and reading the unlock code out of the file.

The unlock code should never have been hardcoded into the file by Groundspeak. It should have been allocated by Groundspeak and made known on the Author's page, and then the author could at least have obfuscated the unlock code in the GWC file - if they wanted.

So at the moment, Unlocking a cartridge on Wherigo is no indication that it has ever been played. I have just unlocked two very new cartridges like this. Sad!

Very poorly thought through - half baked.

having said that, I am enjoying a cartridge and hopefully a few people will play it in the field to find the geocache.

first of all, yes, you are absolutely correct, unlocking a cartridge is too easy.

that said...

1. if it was done as you suggest, nobody would EVER understand it (except the elite few (from this forum :laughing: ) ) and nobody would ever create a cartridge that could be unlocked.

2. as it is now, most people can't figure out how to hack it, even though it's this simple.

3. blocking the unlock code is not enough. i can easily create a .gws file that will unlock the cartridge, regardless of what the cartridge author wants me to do to unlock it. it's not as simple as reading the unlock code, but what if somebody did a web app for it? just upload the cartridge file and get back .gws, ready to go.

(actually, the whole belief that you can somehow give people a game for download, and then reliably verify that they finished it, is flawed. sure, you can make it hard to fake, but you can never make it impossible. if somebody is determined enough, they will break your cartridge, sooner or later)

4., which brings us to...

I have just unlocked two very new cartridges like this. Sad!
sad indeed!

why exactly did you do it? if you did it just to make sure that it's broken, then OK ... but i mean, what's the point of unlocking a cartridge you haven't played? you're only cheating yourself this way, it's not as if anybody cares how many cartridges you unlocked.

in fact, i'm not sure why there even is this whole unlocking feature. maybe so that you can keep track of what you played?

and of course, if you want to do statistics, just read the comments. or do a Wherigo-cache and count log entries. or something like that.

Agreed there is no way to make the cartridge completely secure - just enough obfuscation to tip the odds in favour of doing the cartridge in the way it was intended. Getting the unlock code is just way too easy via the back door and there is no way to mitigate it.

Well it changed how I am designing the cartridge play

I was going to only allow those who actually find the geocache to get a physical code which would then allow them to finally complete the game and get an unlock code.

Now this new info means I may as well lower the bar down on the unlock code. I just give it to anyone who plays the game.

I have now made it

either play anywhere, not get the cache and still get the unlock code

or play locally, get the cache (for a find on GC.COM) and get the unlock code

The play is identical except for the clues, waypoints and some "proof of being onsite" are slightly different