Short(er) Cache Note

Hi yall...

I currently preparing a pair of caches for placement and I've run into the dilemma of what to do for a cache note. I'm aware of the current versions available at /seek/, but the leave something to be desired. I've recently run across one of those walls of text printed at 6pt font and I was simply flabbergasted at the unlikeliness that this would be read by a disinterested muggle.

If modern advertising has taught me anything... people have the attention span of a gold fish.

Does anyone have a version of the cache not they use that could be printed onto a index card with plenty of white space and at a reasonable font size?

I think I'll need to make my own. Those are a good starting point, but I'd like it to a bit warmer.

Why? Which part of "It's a Geocache / Get over it" do you find cold? :laughing:

If you don't mind, please share your version - I have yet to come up with one I like as well.

Hehe... yeah, sure. I will work on it today and see what I can come up with.

I've recently run across one of those walls of text printed at 6pt font and I was simply flabbergasted at the unlikeliness that this would be read by a disinterested muggle.

Heh ...

Are you a signmaker? I ask because I was in the signage industry for quite a few years and this was one of the hardest things to explain to customers: You don't put a walk-up sign out on a 50 mph highway. As for the immediate problem, a knowledgeable signmaker would do something like this:

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL GEOCACHE

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS, PLEASE PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT

IF YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT MEANS, PLEASE VISIT WWW.GEOCACHING.COM

THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND YOU'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO

Pete

The best sign I ever made (bronze plaque in natural stone):

angelm2.jpg

Edited by Curioddity

I just made up my own in Word. It says simply:

Geocache Site

This container is part of a sport for GPS users called geocaching. It is not abandoned and is the personal property of the participant. If you found this by accident, please do not move it. For more information about geocaching see www.geocaching.com

If you have questions or concerns about this container or geocaching in general contact: myemail address

Heh ...

Are you a signmaker? I ask because I was in the signage industry for quite a few years and this was one of the hardest things to explain to customers: You don't put a walk-up sign out on a 50 mph highway. As for the immediate problem, a knowledgeable signmaker would do something like this:

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL GEOCACHE

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS, PLEASE PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT

IF YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT MEANS, PLEASE VISIT WWW.GEOCACHING.COM

THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND YOU'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO

[snip]

:laughing: Nope, but I've taken a few marketing classes and took away a few lessons that have served me well.

geocacheinsert.png

Should look good on a 3x5 index card, and even readable at 2x3.

I really like that. One alteration I would consider is the "tell us about your experience" changed to something that sounds less like of a requirement to visitors. Maybe "Learn about our game"?

Edited by Chumpo

I don't know. As a graphic artist, sign maker, and even former sign shop owner, I don't have a problem with a stencil on the outside and the present note on the inside.

Not saying it couldn't be refined, but shorter? Nah. Folks aren't going to leave, find internet access, and then return with more information. I want as much information present as is digestible. If they don't read it, fine, at least it's there.

One of the things I've been thinking about is the fact that most folks in the wild don't have pen and paper (even a large population of geocacher, too, as evidenced by the number of cacher who don't have a pen to sign the log) so they're not going to be able to remember an internet web address. I've been thinking when I design my next one it will be meant to be taken with the accidental finder. The idea is put a few in the cache with "Take One" on the outside of the note--it's probably going to be a full sheet folded.

I designed this one as a hand out for folks you encounter. It's two to a sheet. Cut it out and fold it into a business card sized handout. Keep a few in your wallet and you'll always have something to hand out to someone. Plus, it even has room to jot some notes on it for that person. It was designed after our third or fourth encounter with the police and designed from the perspective of explaining our actions during such an encounter, police, land manager or otherwise.

I don't know. As a graphic artist, sign maker, and even former sign shop owner, I don't have a problem with a stencil on the outside and the present note on the inside.

Not saying it couldn't be refined, but shorter? Nah. Folks aren't going to leave, find internet access, and then return with more information. I want as much information present as is digestible. If they don't read it, fine, at least it's there.

One of the things I've been thinking about is the fact that most folks in the wild don't have pen and paper (even a large population of geocacher, too, as evidenced by the number of cacher who don't have a pen to sign the log) so they're not going to be able to remember an internet web address. I've been thinking when I design my next one it will be meant to be taken with the accidental finder. The idea is put a few in the cache with "Take One" on the outside of the note--it's probably going to be a full sheet folded.

I designed this one as a hand out for folks you encounter. It's two to a sheet. Cut it out and fold it into a business card sized handout. Keep a few in your wallet and you'll always have something to hand out to someone. Plus, it even has room to jot some notes on it for that person. It was designed after our third or fourth encounter with the police and designed from the perspective of explaining our actions during such an encounter, police, land manager or otherwise.

Too bad there isn't a pad of paper and a pen they could use to write down the website address if they are really interested. ;)

I like your idea of a "take one" pamphlet. I think I'll combine the two on my first cache. I'll get one of my cards printed up and laminated and I'll include a few of your pamphlits (or something similar) and print it up on nicer paper with an invitation written on it to take one.