permissible location?

Rambling Rustlers

I am teaching two classes of 5th through 8th graders the basics of geocaching over the next couple of weeks. As part of the class I want to have the students make and hide a cache. I am a community college employee and plan on placing the cache under one of our departments storage units. I have cleared this with campus security (they were actually quite enthusiastic).

After reading the guidelines and some of the discussion threads, I was curious about the probability of the reviewers here disapproving the location.

I'd appreciate anyones thoughts.

Thanks,

Since you are an employee and have cleared it with campus security there is a good chance of it being published if there are no other issues.

To speed up the process note that that you are an employee hand have cleared the placement with campus security in a note to reviewer when you submit the cache.

I would be wary. Will the hired security people know about the cache? Not too likely. I found one hidden by a professor at the community college, with the permission of the college. 'Security was notified.' Sorry, the hired security knew nothing about the cache, and questioned us. Have fun with it, but I'll pass on it.

I would be wary. Will the hired security people know about the cache? Not too likely. I found one hidden by a professor at the community college, with the permission of the college. 'Security was notified.' Sorry, the hired security knew nothing about the cache, and questioned us. Have fun with it, but I'll pass on it.

He's already notified security. What else would you like him to do?

The point is that Security might know about the cache, but the individual securty guards (and the "Hire-A-Guards") probably wil not. Geoachers will be questioned by them. That is why I suggested being wary about hiding a cache at a community college. (Actually, I think that Security removed the cache that we found.)

The point is that Security might know about the cache, but the individual securty guards (and the "Hire-A-Guards") probably wil not. Geoachers will be questioned by them. That is why I suggested being wary about hiding a cache at a community college. (Actually, I think that Security removed the cache that we found.)

I have no problem with being questioned by security as long as I have a reasonable belief that the CO has adequate permission for the hide.

Weather or not I answer questions depends on the way the security person asks.

It might not be a bad idea to contact someone in the grounds maintenance department at the college as well (assuming it's not something hired out). They are more likely going to be the ones that might stumble upon the cache and then report it as a suspicious container. I work at a large university and there is one guy that I've chatted with a few times that does landscaping/grounds maintenance over a pretty large area on campus. If I were to place a cache that I think he might stumble upon during his duties I'd let him know about it.

It might not be a bad idea to contact someone in the grounds maintenance department at the college as well (assuming it's not something hired out). They are more likely going to be the ones that might stumble upon the cache and then report it as a suspicious container. I work at a large university and there is one guy that I've chatted with a few times that does landscaping/grounds maintenance over a pretty large area on campus. If I were to place a cache that I think he might stumble upon during his duties I'd let him know about it.

This is an excellent idea. This cache on San Diego State's campus was placed more than 7 years ago and is still going strong. Part of the reason for this is that administration, security and the groundskeeping staff all know about it.

There are no less than two caches on two college campuses within two miles of my home; one that I found and one that I DNF. I searched for both, though, and didn't seem to arouse any suspicion in the process. But I can't say whether the campus administration or security were "in on" the game recreational activity. :laughing:

Pete

:) Thanks for all the input folks. We are a fairly small college and have a very small security staff. The head of security notified all of his people and the groundskeeping staff (who are probably more like to see activity on a daily basis) as well. So I'm sure we are good with campus authorities and the folks who will actually be on the ground.

I appreciate the tips on including info to reviewers, I'll go into detail for them.

As a side note, the first class went out and got location fixes on the site yesterday and wrote some descriptions. We all had a ball. If it stops raining today we are going to hunt for a cache locate in a park about a half mile from school. They are all ready to go.

Thanks again

:) Thanks for all the input folks. We are a fairly small college and have a very small security staff. The head of security notified all of his people and the groundskeeping staff (who are probably more like to see activity on a daily basis) as well. So I'm sure we are good with campus authorities and the folks who will actually be on the ground.

I appreciate the tips on including info to reviewers, I'll go into detail for them.

As a side note, the first class went out and got location fixes on the site yesterday and wrote some descriptions. We all had a ball. If it stops raining today we are going to hunt for a cache locate in a park about a half mile from school. They are all ready to go.

Thanks again

Thanks for showing the kid's something besides Whitney and Video games.

Jim

Honestly, I don't see why a College Campus wouldn't, and the reason I say this is because this sort of activity would keep student's active within the college facility, mengeling with fellow peers and possibly getting media attention.

I personally believe that any campus that would not allow on campus cache's would be a lame school. Just my 2 pennys.

College campuses are littered with caches in Kentucky and in PA... We love the to find them and there are so many peeps all around that you are bound to get questioned some time... we get questioned a lot and just talk about an online scavenger hunt or were practicing for the amazing race audition or we are geocaching... they normally believe the amazing race thing before the geowhating?

College campuses are fun but just think about the placement as you would any other so people dont cram their annoyance down your throat.