About 15 inches from being bitten..

Recently on a trip and caching in Tallahassee I was caching near in a small park in a residential area, the "One Dollar Cache", and was within about 15 feet of the cache when I ran into a Cottonmouth that tried to bite me , missed by a few inches. After recovering from the shock and letting my heartrate drop below about 500 I decided it was time to leave and head back to the hotel room. With all the high water levels around here I can understand the higher likelihood of snakes. If you are attempting this cache BE CAREFUL and take a walking stick! And lots of bug spray! I gotta have a beer after this one!!!

That is one of the closest times I have come to being bitten, he was hidden in the ferns and hard to spot, and I was even being careful. But even so, things can happen...

Be careful out there.

Recently on a trip and caching in Tallahassee I was caching near in a small park in a residential area, the "One Dollar Cache", and was within about 15 feet of the cache when I ran into a Cottonmouth that tried to bite me , missed by a few inches. After recovering from the shock and letting my heartrate drop below about 500 I decided it was time to leave and head back to the hotel room. With all the high water levels around here I can understand the higher likelihood of snakes. If you are attempting this cache BE CAREFUL and take a walking stick! And lots of bug spray! I gotta have a beer after this one!!!

That is one of the closest times I have come to being bitten, he was hidden in the ferns and hard to spot, and I was even being careful. But even so, things can happen...

Be careful out there.

I've had to pick them up and toss them out of the way. I will normally take a walking stick with me to push the brush around to see them before they see me (kind of).

Snakes are just a fact of life down here in the south.

All these Snake Encounter stories as of late are freaking me out... I'm deathly afraid of Snakes!!!

I'm glad to see them though in a way as I was having such a good time and so excited doing this, I had not even considered looking out for Snakes and the such... Doh!!!

Yesterday I was walking across a bridge to get to a bike trail from the parking area and some fine lady in an SUV came within 15 inches of running over me. That is one of the closest times I have come to being hit in a long time and I was even being careful. But even so, things can happen...

Be careful out there.

spelling edit...

Edited by edscott

We met a rattlesnake about a month ago down by the Brazos River (about an hour west of Houston). It was playing "I'm just a stick" until my partner got a little too close. Then it played "I'm a deadly beast".

We pretty much left that cache alone and agreed to come back for it in February... :laughing:

I'm guessing that when we go back that my heart will still be laying there on the ground where it landed when it jumped out of my chest in terror.

I took the 5 kids out for a cache a couple of days ago. It was in honor of a baby who had been still born. The cache was stocked with toys and we had even gone out and bought toys to put in it, they were excited. We had only gone about 100 feet on the trail when we ran into the grand daddy of all rattlesnakes. At first he decided nah I don't want any trouble and started to crawl away. All of a sudden he whips around looks at me and coils up. This snake looked about 5 feet long it was a monster. So I just backed up and left him. I put the kids in the van and of course I came back a few minutes later and find the cache. Still very scary.