We got a bad rap on DC's Talk Radio Show

Did anyone listen to yesterday's show? Elliott was talking about how cars will drive up to the top of the parking garage on Rockville Pike, MD, and get out of the car, walk around, get back in the car and drive away. Usually 1 or 2 people and always different cars. A caller called in guessing that it might have been a geocacher--of course Elliott had never heard of it, so he and his morning crew completed busted this caller using words like, dork, loser, etc. What do you guys think?

A caller called in guessing that it might have been a geocacher--of course Elliott had never heard of it, so he and his morning crew completed busted this caller using words like, dork, loser, etc. What do you guys think?

I don't listen to people in the media who make snap judgements like they are some authority of what's cool and what's dorky or loserly. Can you tell I'm not a fan of Nancy Grace? :lol:

Anyone remember the "Get a life," comment some news guy made to geocachers awhile back?

Like that other guy, this guy sounds like he is in love with himself and his opinion. Borrrrriiinnnnng and not worth much angst.

Edited by Snoogans

Imagine that. Someone on a morning radio talk show busting on someone else and using hype buzzwords to drive the agenda. Who'd a thought it? :mad:

Sounds like Elliott's been through talk show 101 training, but if he can't do any better than that, he might just be showing signs of being a dork, loser, etc. :D:lol:

Did anyone listen to yesterday's show? Elliott was talking about how cars will drive up to the top of the parking garage on Rockville Pike, MD, and get out of the car, walk around, get back in the car and drive away. Usually 1 or 2 people and always different cars. A caller called in guessing that it might have been a geocacher--of course Elliott had never heard of it, so he and his morning crew completed busted this caller using words like, dork, loser, etc. What do you guys think?

I think the guy got beat up in High School and thought this would be a good way to look cool! Failed of course...and now still has to go home knowing that people still don't like him. LOL

However, truly.....he is a radio talk show host. His job is to try to stir controversy. Without opposition there is no debate...therefore no need for talk radio or media cable news programs like Rush, Rachel Maddow, O'Reilly and so on. Take it for what it is worth! He wants to get a rise out of people. He was hoping some geocacher was listening, gonna get mad and call in!

This was in Washington DC Right? .. by a radio talk show host? You may have been the only person in the world to hear it.

Edited by edscott

Were you the caller? :lol:

IPOD, mp3 player, cd player, cell phone with music player. So many options today. Why do you listen to those idiots? All they want to do is foment controversy to drive ratings. It matters not the subject. They are going to spout some sort of belittling oral diarrhea in an attempt to get some schmuck to call in all p.o.ed and unprepared for the abuse they are about to receive.

On a side note. Do they still roll up the sidewalks in Culpeper at 9:00? Too bad about the old Double D. I wounder what happened to Dave and his wife?

Take the time to go by, meet him and his staff, explain the game.

Here in Birmingham we have the nationally syndicated Rick & Bubba radio show. There have been two caches in their parking lot (a micro on a statue, an ammo can in the woods) for years. They broadcast from inside a windowed lobby and talk about the cachers they see in their parking lot. They like the game and cachers are invited to visit the studio.

When I found these caches years ago someone came out while I was looking for the micro; I had my story all ready to tell about why I was molesting their statue... it was their production manager, who invited me in for an on-air interview!

There are some hidden near Rick's lake house that he occasionally takes guests to.

If they aren't broadcast in your area you can listen live at http://www.rickandbubba.com/ , you may very well hear them talk about geocaching.

Maybe you can make a difference! Go see your local radio personalities, hide a cache that they can watch.

Take the time to go by, meet him and his staff, explain the game.

Here in Birmingham we have the nationally syndicated Rick & Bubba radio show. There have been two caches in their parking lot (a micro on a statue, an ammo can in the woods) for years. They broadcast from inside a windowed lobby and talk about the cachers they see in their parking lot. They like the game and cachers are invited to visit the studio.

When I found these caches years ago someone came out while I was looking for the micro; I had my story all ready to tell about why I was molesting their statue... it was their production manager, who invited me in for an on-air interview!

There are some hidden near Rick's lake house that he occasionally takes guests to.

If they aren't broadcast in your area you can listen live at http://www.rickandbubba.com/ , you may very well hear them talk about geocaching.

Maybe you can make a difference! Go see your local radio personalities, hide a cache that they can watch.

Interesting approach. Glad to see that Rick and Bubba are on board. They obviously live in the real world.

A local radio station here also has caches located at their station. The cache page invites players in while they are there for the cache as well.

Not exacly nice is he? It also speaks to his audience.

Generally speaking, we are a bunch of geeks :lol:

Just saying.......

Ahh Screw'em...

Who really cares what he thinks...

At least they did not have any real facts or anything incriminating to spread negatively other than a few childish remarks at will be dissmissed in a few minutes...

Generally speaking, we are a bunch of geeks :lol:

Just saying.......

Perhaps I need to be more of a geek. Making all these gadgets work together, or at all, is the hardest part of this game. Fortunately there are enough smart types geocaching who are willing to help to help me through it all.

Book... cover... etc.

Just saying... All we know about these guys is a third-hand report that lacks any context.

/is bugged by rushes to judgment about talk shows...

You can't possibly be as naive as you sound RIGHT NOW... loser morning talk show hosts litter the air waves from coast to coast, especially here in the Twin Cities. I don't mind raunch at all. But when it gets played on the school bus with my young children, that crosses the line.

You can't possibly be as naive as you sound RIGHT NOW... loser morning talk show hosts litter the air waves from coast to coast, especially here in the Twin Cities. I don't mind raunch at all. But when it gets played on the school bus with my young children, that crosses the line.

Not naive - seasoned. Every single time I've heard someone get into a tizzy about something someone said on the radio (RAD in Sacramento, is a good recent example, but also with Rush, etc) the comment in the context of the show is vastly different then what has been reported.

I'm not saying the show is any good (I have no idea) - I'm just recommending that slandering a shows entire audience without ever having any other information about the show is rushing to judgment. I mean, if the comment they made about geocachers is it's exactly what it sounds like it is, then rushing to judgment is exactly what they did and it is what is pissing us off.

I think just about every geographic region has some sort of shock jock twit, babbling vitriol for a small minded audience. How they manage to stay employed is beyond me. I mean, I can certainly fathom why someone would spout a bunch of carp for 4 hours a day. I just can't figure out why someone else would pay them to do so. Are we, as a nation, so desperate to listen to someone getting ragged on that we'll pay for the privilege?

I have come to the conclusion that people, in general, are not truly happy unless they are Outraged about something.

Media make their money by capitalizing on fear, self-gratification, or Outrage.

Technogeeks! Aren't they stooopid? I can't BELIEVE anyone would waste their [sic] time like that! Aren't we glad we're not them? Isn't it great to be in the shock-jock self-congratulatory club? We're so cooool!

Might have gotten a better reaction if the cache in question had been a hike in the woods rather than the roof of a parking garage. :laughing:

Reminds me of the King of the Hill episode that mentioned Geocaching:

BOBBY: Dad, there's this thing on the internet called "Geocaching."

HANK (reading screen): Looks great, son. I've been hoping you'd develop an interest in the great outdoors. You'll need boots and a canteen...

BOBBY: Uh, Dad?

HANK: Says here there's one on a trail near McMaynerberry.

BOBBY: Dad, we don't need boots. They're not only on trails. There's one in the parking lot at the Mega-lo Mart and another by the dumpster behind the ice cream store.

HANK: Now what kind of jackass would put a "Geocache" in the Mega-Lo Mart parking lot? Bobby, I'll buy you a GPS, but we're not skulking around parking lots and dumpsters.

BOBBY (sighing): Yes, Dad.

Might have gotten a better reaction if the cache in question had been a hike in the woods rather than the roof of a parking garage. :laughing:

HANK (reading screen): Looks great, son. I've been hoping you'd develop an interest in the great outdoors. You'll need boots and a canteen...

BOBBY: Dad, we don't need boots. They're not only on trails. There's one in the parking lot at the Mega-lo Mart and another by the dumpster behind the ice cream store.

HANK: Now what kind of jackass would put a "Geocache" in the Mega-Lo Mart parking lot? Bobby, I'll buy you a GPS, but we're not skulking around parking lots and dumpsters.

Thats awesome. With how subtly clever that show is sometimes it's easy to forget that it's made by the people who brought us bevis and butthead. :D

Might have gotten a better reaction if the cache in question had been a hike in the woods rather than the roof of a parking garage. ;)

Oh, nuts! I would have loved to see that episode! I used to watch the show religiously but haven't seen it for a long time. Sounds like he did his research well before writing that bit!

Generally speaking, we are a bunch of geeks :D

Just saying.......

We are not a bunch of ... excuse me while I push my glasses back on my nose. What were we talking about? ;)

I actually like Elliot in the Morning in small doses. When I work in the eastern panhandle area of West Virginia you can listen to all the D.C. radio stations and my favorite is DC101. But you are talking about a radio host who act is regularly being abrasive and obnoxious. I mean, he typically does things like ask female callers what kind of 'adult toys' they like to use. It's part of the act. It is kinda sorta like Howard Stern or Bob and Tom (both shows I can't stand) but sometimes Elliot is pretty funny. So I'll give him a pass on this one. Unlike many sports, urban geocaching does sound kind of weird to muggles until they've actually done it.

Might have gotten a better reaction if the cache in question had been a hike in the woods rather than the roof of a parking garage. :D

Ok, I like the show, but I haven't seen every episode ever made (and there's probably a couple hundred). If that exchange really happened on the show, that is awesome. If not, it definitely sounds like something Hank would say if he stumbled on the website. :D