Organising our first 'Event' cache

Hi!

We'd be very grateful for your opinions on organising an 'Event' cache.

We'd like to host an evening event in the local vicinity sometime over the summer, and finding a suitable venue is proving rather difficult. We've looked at 10 possible places, but they are either:

1) not happy to cater for more than 12 people

2) insisting that everyone pre-orders what they want to eat from the menu before hand

3) willing to let us have a function room to ourselves, but want to charge £50-£100 for the room

The nicer venues, with a large car park, garden, nice atmosphere etc are the ones that want to charge us to hire a room.

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks

James

Whenever I host my quarterly events, I just say a group of us would like to come and some will be eating, some just for a few drinks...

We would like our own area reserving... and all the pubs I've hosted in so far have been happy to do that - I've never had to pay a deposit, but then I have never said - I'm hosting an event.... to some people, when you say event - they think you will be making money from it - and therefore want their cut!!!

I recently helped Tyrolean Maid organise one in a J D Whetherspoons. They were more than happy to have us and there was no charge. We never mentioned 'geocaching', though. Just said that we would like to host a small(ish) party. Some would be eating but they'd order over the bar like any other customer.

Edited by Pharisee

Many thanks for all of the above suggestions!

We've been back to our favourite venue, and have persuaded them to reserve a dining area for us at no charge, with no pre-ordering of food also! :laughing:

Just sorting out the event listing now!

Thanks again

James

Edited by Jenny&James

Forum posting... is it getting to be all about the numbers? :laughing::D

Good luck with the event from the UK's most prolific organiser, apparently. I remember my first -in 2004- well. If I had one piece of advice to give, and I usually do, it's to enjoy yourselves rather than worry about it- You should get to have fun as hosts too, and good vibes are infectious. So relax and have a laugh with it. :laughing:

I'll go with what Paul said about enjoying it...

If you organise it, people will come (to quote Rutson!!) and how right that is... I no longer worry abotu who will or won't come, I dont' care... you'll also find that the smaller events are the ones that people enjoy most, as people get to chat to everyone there.

If you think of it as - "I'm going for a drink / meal, if anyone else wants to join me, that's fine" then you won't go far wrong!