Your First Out of State Find?

In a few days, I plan on taking a short vacation from my native Mississippi to the Fort Walton Beach, Florida area. While there I plan on trying to do at least a little caching. If I have any success and find at least one, this will be the first time I'll have found a cache out of state. That would have happened last year when I went to Gulf Shores, Alabama but unfortunately I was unable to find the cache.

Most likely, my 'first out of state cache' will be a cache named Orange. And yes, I'm well aware that it's not exactly the most popular cache type here. But I only take a vacation once a year and I don't know if I'll be back here again any time soon so I figure why not.

So what about you all? What was the first out of state cache you found? Or, if this hasn't happened yet, do you know the cache that you are planning on letting be the first out of state one? I'm curious.

My first out of state cache (I live in Texas) was in California on 5/14/2002. It was the Bike Path Bikini Cache - now archived. I found it after I got off the plane at LAX. I had never seen the Pacific Ocean before so this was the cache I picked. Didn't see any bikini's though, but the beach and surfers were just like on TV. That California trip was what really hooked me on caching. I visited so many places that I never would have seen with out it. :)

Saturday, the family and I will be flying to NYC and I will hopefully find MY first out of state cache, somewhere in Manhatten. I think I will try the Empire State bldg Virtual. We will stay a few days and drive up to the Cape Code area, and I will find a few in each state Mass. and R.I. I think it will be fun......

Any of you fine Yankee cacheing brethren have any suggestions? :)

Edited by moparots

We live in Northern Virginia so our first out of state cache came from Washington D.C. We have also ventured into nearby Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia and North Carolina just to grab ot of state caches. On our trip to and from Geowoodstock 7 we were able to add Tennessee and Kentucky to the list too!

From where I live it is: 44 miles to Colorado, 48 Miles to Wyoming, 96 miles to South Dakota. When I started caching, there were 4 caches within 100 miles of home. It didn't take me long to venture out-of-state and find one. Was my 3rd find. It is still up and running.

I live in extreme Western NY, on the Canadian border. Apparently the first out-of-state find was Kilmer by Marty621 in Edison, N.J. on October 25, 2003. A 2002 placement that is still active. I was about 2 months into my Geocaching career.

I was a non-premium member, and had a really cheesy little non-mapping GPS. Buxley's Maps were an extremely valuable resource for planning Geocaches when traveling then. Google didn't even have maps at that time.

My first out of state cache was actually out of the country as well. I only live about 60 miles from the Canadian border, but it took me about a year and half before I found a cache outside of my home state of Washington.

Kaka'solas ( GC116J0) -- Vancouver, BC

It felt really good to cache in some "new territory". Since then I've cached in Oregon and Idaho as well as a few eastern states. This summer I'll add a new country to the list when I go to Panama :)

In a few days, I plan on taking a short vacation from my native Mississippi to the Fort Walton Beach, Florida area. While there I plan on trying to do at least a little caching. If I have any success and find at least one, this will be the first time I'll have found a cache out of state. That would have happened last year when I went to Gulf Shores, Alabama but unfortunately I was unable to find the cache.

Most likely, my 'first out of state cache' will be a cache named Orange. And yes, I'm well aware that it's not exactly the most popular cache type here. But I only take a vacation once a year and I don't know if I'll be back here again any time soon so I figure why not.

So what about you all? What was the first out of state cache you found? Or, if this hasn't happened yet, do you know the cache that you are planning on letting be the first out of state one? I'm curious.

I think I see your problem, highlighted in bold. You didn't look for enough caches :) Even experienced cachers have a DNF rate in the 1:4 to 1:10 range.

There are dozens of caches around the Redneck Riviera (I've found a couple of them). There are many times more caches at Ft. Walton, so you should have better luck.

I personally live only about 1/8 mile from "out of state", so my first one was only a few days after starting caching.

My first out of state cache was my first find ever.

I was on Maui walking along a lava flow and there was a cache hidden in a small cave abot 5 feet above the water line.

At first I thought it was something that fell off of a boat but soon learned of the sport of geocaching.

I think I see your problem, highlighted in bold. You didn't look for enough caches :anibad: Even experienced cachers have a DNF rate in the 1:4 to 1:10 range.

There are dozens of caches around the Redneck Riviera (I've found a couple of them). There are many times more caches at Ft. Walton, so you should have better luck.

I personally live only about 1/8 mile from "out of state", so my first one was only a few days after starting caching.

I hope you live on the lower tax rate side of the line. :)

I think I would look for Professor Poopypants, Part Deux instead of Orange. Even if the cache isn't great the name is a hoot.

I think I would look for Professor Poopypants, Part Deux instead of Orange. Even if the cache isn't great the name is a hoot.

Don't worry. If I at all can, that's on the list of the caches I'm going for as well.

Ya made me check back. July of 2004. I live in north Jersey, halfway between Pa and NYC. I would have thought NYC. But, nope, near Suffern, New York. Toughest 2.5 terrain I've ever done! A TB motel with a TB that caught my eye! A handsome stuffed Moose named Moose on the Loose (still travelling after six and a half years!) FTFed one of BrianSnat's caches on my way back home.

First out of state cache was our 4th find. We lived in California and the find was in the San Juan Islands of Washington State.

We soon added Oregon and these three states have been our bread and butter.

Now we live in Washington State but our first DeLorme Challenge completion is likely to be Oregon.

My first out of state cache was the TB Hotel Shiphol, near the airport in Amsterstand, the Netherlands. It was my 16th find. I've since found caches in 16 other U.S. States. Although I live about 35 miles from the PA border, the highest number of caches outside of my home state (NY) is in California. I've cached in California on two visits and on the last day I was there I found 31 caches, my current daily record. In addition to the Netherlands, I've also found caches in Italy, Vatican City (considered a separate country on the gc.com country designations), South Africa, and Zimbabwe. I was within .2 of a mile from a cache in Ethiopia a couple of months ago but couldn't get to it as I was there on business and in a vehicle with about a dozen non-cachers.

Saturday, the family and I will be flying to NYC and I will hopefully find MY first out of state cache, somewhere in Manhatten. I think I will try the Empire State bldg Virtual. We will stay a few days and drive up to the Cape Code area, and I will find a few in each state Mass. and R.I. I think it will be fun......

Any of you fine Yankee cacheing brethren have any suggestions? :lol:

I'll be doing some caching the Cape Cod area in about three weeks while visiting some friends enroute to a vacation in Maine. While in RI, if you're near Newport, make sure to get the Brenton Point (GCEC) cache. Its the oldest in Rhode Island, is really easy to get to, and is a very beautiful spot. While enroute from NYC to MA you can hit thee oldest cache in CT (Another Brick in the Wall) about 15 minutes north of Stamford.

Be aware that caching in Manhattan can be difficult. Those tall buildings play havoc with GPS signals but that shouldn't give you any trouble with the Empire State Building virtual.

I really enjoy geocaching far from home. While on the way to a vacation in North Carolina a couple of years ago I stopped at a rest stop in Maryland about 300 miles from home. When I looked at the logs I recognized the name a couple below my log as a cacher that lives fairly close to me. When logging the cache online I realized that I had met the CO a few months earlier while doing a night cache about 2 miles from where I live. When I got to North Carolina I found a couple of caches the logs from two other cachers that live near me. The had spent the previous week in the area. I have also met other geocachers while searching for caches out of state. The best one was meeting a couple of cachers from Germany while searching for a cache in Rome. It was *mostly* inaccessible at the time due to construction so we talked for awhile, discovered each others trackable items we were carrying, and went our separate ways.

I'm from New England where the states are small. With a 2 hour drive, we can hit all the states in New England, NY & NJ. ME is the farthest away at about 2:30.

The fun thing about caching in different areas is, well, seeing different areas. Plus, you get to see hide styles that you may not have seen back home.

As far as the types we do when out of state. If I'm with my family and we're on vacation/sightseeing, we'll usually pick easier terrain ones because it's not easy to go home and clean up if you get dirty or in poison ivy, things like that.

But, with friends, we'll sometimes plan a trip that centers around a hard cache and we'll accept that the fact that we'll get dirty doing it.

I hope you live on the lower tax rate side of the line. :lol:

Depends on which tax you're talking about. TN doesn't have a state income tax (good), but the sales tax is 9.25%+ (not so good).

Incidentally, I've found caches on both coasts (all three if you count the Gulf of Mexico) and the north and south ends of the USA. But I still haven't found a cache in all counties that border on my home county after 2.5 years of caching.

I live 10 minutes of the WI border in MN. No problem. As of right now, I have cached in 29 states and plan 4 to 5 new ones this summer.

The trick is to load up the GPS with a full PQ of the area you're headed to. You'll never know how close you'll be when you go get breakfast or the morning coffee. Soon, you'll be racking big out of state numbers like the rest of us dorks.

I hope you live on the lower tax rate side of the line. :lol:

Depends on which tax you're talking about. TN doesn't have a state income tax (good), but the sales tax is 9.25%+ (not so good).

Incidentally, I've found caches on both coasts (all three if you count the Gulf of Mexico) and the north and south ends of the USA. But I still haven't found a cache in all counties that border on my home county after 2.5 years of caching.

Seems simple to me.. live in Tennessee and shop in Georgia. :D

My first out of state was in July 2008, I flew into Louisville, I stayed there for the night then took off on a roadtrip around the state. But the first cache I did while there ? I drove across the river into Indiana and found the Falls of the Ohio Devonian Fossil Beds EarthCache. :lol:

My first out of state was in July 2008, I flew into Louisville, I stayed there for the night then took off on a roadtrip around the state. But the first cache I did while there ? I drove across the river into Indiana and found the Falls of the Ohio Devonian Fossil Beds EarthCache. :lol:

Okay, how many of you have traveled on business, had to stay overnight somewhere, and specifically picked a hotel based on it's proximity to a nearby geocache?

I've done it at least twice, once when I had an overnight layover in Johannesburg, South Africa enroute to Livingstone, Zambia, and picked a hotel very close to a TB hotel near Shiphol airport in Amsterdam.

When I am traveling on business, one of the first things I do is create a pocket query of the area then select a day of the week for it to download about a week before I leave. I currently have five PQs set up for a vacation I'm taking in about three weeks. Three of them are "caches along a route" and the two others are at a place I'll be staying overnight and my final vacation destination. I'll probably be adding one more once I finalize the place we'll be staying on the way home.

Okay, how many of you have traveled on business, had to stay overnight somewhere, and specifically picked a hotel based on it's proximity to a nearby geocache?

Not for business, but I'm staying in a hotel in Tampa in January the night before a cruise, and before I gave the thumbs-up on the hotel I did check for at least one nearby cache :lol:

Not for business, but I'm staying in a hotel in Tampa in January the night before a cruise, and before I gave the thumbs-up on the hotel I did check for at least one nearby cache :D

Thankfully my "business travel" is long over, but whenever we go anywhere all motels, lunch stops, and potential shopping areas are prescreened for caches. No cache, no stop. :lol:

I live right on the border of Michigan and Wisconsin as you can see from the city name under my avatar.

I've cached in both states frequently. Even though I'm a Michigan resident, I consider myself a Wisconsin resident as well because I spend a lot of time on the Wisconsin side of the border with work, personal business, family, and caching.

So really, I really have not cached out of state because both states are my home states.

If I was to venture a guess on what would my first out-of-state cache would be, it might be Minnesota. Thinking of going to the Mall of America this fall. We'll see.

GC1H258 I was surprised to remember is my first... forgot the geocaching with the folks in AZ... I wish very much that I had been aware of the game when I was in Guatemala. Not a ton there but I think I passed by most of them. When I go back, I'll grab em :laughing:

Edit: Noting looking at the logs that AZCachemeister was a recent finder :D Fun to see people from the forums in logs of places I've visited. :laughing:

Edited by mrbort

We live near a state line, so our first out of state cache was a mile from our home....

We always pick a few caches to hunt when we go out of town. So far we have found at least two caches in most of the eastern US (Missing one state and DC) and a handful across the southwest. (We always find at least two in case something goes wrong with the logging process for one of the caches).

I usually load up about 200-300 caches along our route and we find a few here and there as we feel like it while we travel. I handpick some that sound interesting near towns I know we'll stop in for an overnight stay. And we take a laptop and an iPod Touch with us so we can look up additional caches if we find ourselves staying somewhere we didn't expect.

My first 2 finds were "out of state". Of course, in Canada we have provinces, not states, but whatever..

I have not acctualy been out of province since that trip, so, sofar no more out of province caches. We will be out of province begining of July, so maybe I will have some time then.

Had to go back and check mine...seems my 12th find was Sierra Point Surprise (GCG450) which I picked up while on a business trip to California from my home state of Texas.

With my just completed trip to Minneapolis (and side drive to Wisconsin), I now have a find in 32 states! The joys of business travel. :laughing:

I live right on the border of Michigan and Wisconsin as you can see from the city name under my avatar.

I've cached in both states frequently. Even though I'm a Michigan resident, I consider myself a Wisconsin resident as well because I spend a lot of time on the Wisconsin side of the border with work, personal business, family, and caching.

So really, I really have not cached out of state because both states are my home states.

If I was to venture a guess on what would my first out-of-state cache would be, it might be Minnesota. Thinking of going to the Mall of America this fall. We'll see.

Former Yooper here, now living and caching in the general vicinity of the Mall of America. Look me up if you do come down here.

My "first" was only 75% out of state. It was the virt at the triple border point of KS, NE, and CO. It is listed as a Colorado cache, and I suppose half of it is while KS and NE get 25% each.

Of course since then I've moved from West Central KS to KC, KS. I can hike up the hill behind my house and clearly see the bridge over the Missouri River into Missouri.