Collecting question from a newbie

WOOGIEKIDS

Just a set of curious newbie questions. I have about a dozen geocoins, and am wondering about the following.

1) How many coins do you have in total?

2) How many stay in your collection, and how many are in circulation?

3) How do you decide which is which?

4) Do you activate ones you keep in your collection?

The coins are so pretty, and I want to keep them, but I want to send them out into the world at the same time. I'm conflicted. :)

I currently have 155 geocoins in my collection, and I'm expecting 6 more any day. ALL of them stay with me, for discoveries at events (they are all activated). You could always create a copy of the coin. Search the forums for "proxy" and you'll find a lot of threads about making a copy of a coin to go out and travel. I've been thinking about doing that, or buying a second of the cheaper coins to get some travelling done. I've just been too broke lately, buying all the beautiful coins everyone keeps creating. hehe

My advice, RUN while you still can!! LOL :)

1) How many coins do you have in total? TOO MANY!! Probably close to 800.

2) How many stay in your collection, and how many are in circulation? ooo probably about 50 in circulation...just random ones..no particular reason fro sending certain ones out

3) How do you decide which is which? whatever I feel like releasing...usually I have one in my collection and it's an extra

4) Do you activate ones you keep in your collection? All the coins in my collection are activated for people to discover and I do have a few cachers that have discovered every coin in my collection after spending a few hours looking through all of them. :anibad:

2) How many stay in your collection, and how many are in circulation? ooo probably about 50 in circulation...just random ones..no particular reason fro sending certain ones out

3) How do you decide which is which? whatever I feel like releasing...usually I have one in my collection and it's an extra

4) Do you activate ones you keep in your collection? All the coins in my collection are activated for people to discover and I do have a few cachers that have discovered every coin in my collection after spending a few hours looking through all of them. :anibad:

Can you elaborate on #4? Discover? Does that mean that another objective of Geocoining is to look through other member's online listings and "discover" new coins to add to their list of found items?

Can you elaborate on #4? Discover? Does that mean that another objective of Geocoining is to look through other member's online listings and "discover" new coins to add to their list of found items?

Usually, you'll have to meet cachers face to face, or at least their coins. Most cachers don' like giving the tracking codes for their coins to someone that has never seen or held them. :anibad:

If you activate your coins and bring them to events, or meet other cachers they can write down the tracking number of the coin and log a discovery on it. When you go to your profile on gc.com there is a page showing what coins that you own, are circulating and ones that you have found or discovered. When you discover or log a geocoin it gives you an icon on your page. Some cachers like 'collecting' icons. I like activiating my coins and letting people discover them because it's a memory of when we met them, or an event we were at, etc. You are not suppose to discover coins that you have not seen in person. If a cacher does this their coin can be locked by gc.com.

Usually, you'll have to meet cachers face to face, or at least their coins. Most cachers don' like giving the tracking codes for their coins to someone that has never seen or held them. :anibad:

Ah. That makes much more sense. Thanks!

I like discovering coins, and try and take some time to figure out why someone created the coin they did. I have found lots of interesting places, and info because of this.

Personally I have about 12 or so in my collection, and try to have a 50/50 split to what is out there, so about 24 in total.

Must say I have more TB out in the wild then coins though. They seem to last longer.

Just a set of curious newbie questions. I have about a dozen geocoins, and am wondering about the following.

1) How many coins do you have in total?

2) How many stay in your collection, and how many are in circulation?

3) How do you decide which is which?

4) Do you activate ones you keep in your collection?

The coins are so pretty, and I want to keep them, but I want to send them out into the world at the same time. I'm conflicted. :)

I have no clue as to how many coins I own -- maybe 400. I have about 100 in circulation (if you count those missing and stolen as being in circulation). I think that ultimately every coin I own will be in circulation. I don't think of the non-circulated coins as my collection, but coins that aren't activated and traveling yet. Occasionally I hang on to one because it looks so great and I don't want it stolen, but really, it doesn't do any good sitting around my desk. I often buy duplicate or triplicate copies of coins, but I do it more for future trade rather than to keep one in a collection.

And on a side note...I've found that the European cachers are much better about circulating coins than U.S. cachers. I've never had a coin over-seas get lost.

How many coins do we own- Somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 hundred

Traveling- 135 of them are traveling in the Todie's Wild Ride mission, another 112 are also out there doing their thing.

Keep or send out- My keepers are 1st- States or Countries that we have cached in.

2nd- geocaching related things...the laptop, PDA, GPSr, ammo can, peanut butter jar, boots etc... I really LOVE the Hides and Finds series (I'm missing a couple...hint hint)

3rd- reviewer or moderator coins

4th- Just cool stuff that I like the design- earth turtles, fire truck w/moving wheels, morpho butterflies....

some of my keepers are activated, some aren't....I just haven't gotten around to some of them.

I also agree with stickerooni- get 'em out there and let them travel, thats what they WANT to do!

159 trackable, of which 27 are activated. 4 of the activated ones are still here in my collection, 22 are traveling, 1 is missing. I also have 35 non-trackable and 181 Pathtags.

As to how I choose what travels and what stays here, it depends. If a coin has been on my traders list for too long I'll usually activate it and send it out. If I buy an already activated coin, odds are I will send it out traveling. And sometimes a particular coin reminds me of a mission I would like to see it do so I'll activate it and send it out. But most of my coins remain unactivated in my collection because I thoroughly enjoy pulling them out and just handling them. I know others would enjoy handling them too but if I send them out I don't get to play with them. :lol: