Garmin Legend HCx

TM92

I recently got a Garmin Legend HCx and have the Canadian Topo maps loaded onto it. I can't find any way to search for roads. I was wondering if there is a way to search for roads?

Thanks.

There is a find menu where they list exits. You could put your own waypoints in for roads on your computer and then transfer them to your unit. I live in the country and none of the roads in the area are listed only highways and main streets in nearby towns. Someone else may have a better idea-let's hope!

I recently got a Garmin Legend HCx and have the Canadian Topo maps loaded onto it. I can't find any way to search for roads. I was wondering if there is a way to search for roads?

Thanks.

Tyrell, do you mean the Ibycus TOPO's or one of Garmin's TOPO's (and if so which version)?

Thanks.

Tyrell, do you mean the Ibycus TOPO's or one of Garmin's TOPO's (and if so which version)?

I have the Garmin Topo maps loaded on. And i'm at school right now so i dont know which version i have but i will post it when i get home.

Thanks.

Do you mean that you can't find the search function on the Legend? Just press the upper right button multiple times or the lower left button twice to get to the Main Menu. Then use the navigation stick to select the Find icon and press on the navigation stick to select it. You'll find all the search options there.

Or do you mean that you know how to search with the Legend Find menu but you're not getting results? I'm pretty sure that addresses and streets and roads are not searchable in Topo Canada, only Cities and "features" like lakes and rivers and mountains and such. I only have Topo Canada v2. I don't have v4 yet, so I don't know about it.

...ken...

Thanks.

Do you mean that you can't find the search function on the Legend? Just press the upper right button multiple times or the lower left button twice to get to the Main Menu. Then use the navigation stick to select the Find icon and press on the navigation stick to select it. You'll find all the search options there.

Or do you mean that you know how to search with the Legend Find menu but you're not getting results? I'm pretty sure that addresses and streets and roads are not searchable in Topo Canada, only Cities and "features" like lakes and rivers and mountains and such. I only have Topo Canada v2. I don't have v4 yet, so I don't know about it.

...ken...

I know how to use the find functions. I was just wondering if there was a way that i could search for roads. I have not been able to find a way.

I know how to use the find functions. I was just wondering if there was a way that i could search for roads. I have not been able to find a way.

Okay. I checked in Mapsource and the only thing you can search in Topo Canada v2 is City names and Features (lakes, rivers, parks, etc.). You can't search any address or intersection stuff. That includes roads and streets.

...ken...

Okay. I checked in Mapsource and the only thing you can search in Topo Canada v2 is City names and Features (lakes, rivers, parks, etc.). You can't search any address or intersection stuff. That includes roads and streets.

...ken...

I knew there wasn't any way to do it. I gues i can live without it.

i have topo canada v4.

i know you can search for exact addresses from main menu:

FIND

ADDRESSES

PROVINCE

CITY

ENTER NUMBER (house number)

and hit enter

then it comes up as a perfect hit or list of the closes hit (if you were to enter a city, and then 444 TEST ST and there wasn't a 444, but there was a 443, it would show that), or do you mean something different?

i've only done it a couple times, but it can find business addresses (with phone numbers) and/or peoples houses (no phone number). you really don't need the street maps if you have topo 4, all the streets are in there and searchable.

Edited by brucered

i have topo canada v4.

i know you can search for exact addresses from main menu:

FIND

ADDRESSES

PROVINCE

CITY

ENTER NUMBER (house number)

and hit enter

then it comes up as a perfect hit or list of the closes hit (if you were to enter a city, and then 444 TEST ST and there wasn't a 444, but there was a 443, it would show that), or do you mean something different?

i've only done it a couple times, but it can find business addresses (with phone numbers) and/or peoples houses (no phone number). you really don't need the street maps if you have topo 4, all the streets are in there and searchable.

Are you able to do this on a Garmin Legend HCx? If you can then i guess i will have to download the updated version but i dont think i can because i have dial-up and it is really slow.

I'm pretty sure Topo Canada v4 is not available for download. Even if it is, and even if you have high speed internet, you probably don't want to. Topo Canada v2 came on four loaded CDs. I'm sure that with the extra street and address and POI data Topo Canada v4 is even larger.

EDIT: I suppose I have to mention that I meant downloading it legally.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

I'm pretty sure Topo Canada v4 is not available for download. Even if it is, and even if you have high speed internet, you probably don't want to. Topo Canada v2 came on four loaded CDs. I'm sure that with the extra street and address and POI data Topo Canada v4 is even larger.

...ken...

Canda topo 4 on DVD is about 5.5GB, the equivalant of about 7-8 cd's.

...ken...

Canda topo 4 on DVD is about 5.5GB, the equivalant of about 7-8 cd's.

Can you not just download the uptade from the garmin website?

Can you not just download the uptade from the garmin website?

Not anywhere that I can find.

...ken...

I have found the uptade page for the maps on the Garmin website. You have to either connect your GPSr to your computer or enter the serial number from the box that the discs come in.

I have found the uptade page for the maps on the Garmin website. You have to either connect your GPSr to your computer or enter the serial number from the box that the discs come in.

That only works to update the maps that came preloaded on your device. Does, or did, any Garmin device ever come with Topo Canada preloaded?

...ken...