Just picked up eTrex 2.14

Swedishbrick

Just got a ETrex 2.14 off c/l and wanted to know any tricks or tips on this unit. Is it worth getting the PC cable? (got my first find today with a GPS unit, Third over all find)

Cheers!

Think I got a great deal on the unit.

The "tricks" are often dependent on what model you have. "2.14" isn't an eTrex model. Looks more like a software version, which can be duplicated between models, so "2.14" isn't of much help.

The "tricks" are often dependent on what model you have. "2.14" isn't an eTrex model. Looks more like a software version, which can be duplicated between models, so "2.14" isn't of much help.

2.14 makes it a GEN1 eTrex, the first model that was replaced with the GEN2 model that had WAAS, replaced by the current GEN3 eTrex H.

As far as tricks, if you use GSAK, use the "drop 2" setting in the waypoint names to cut the "GC" off the front of cache ID's as the unit can only have 6 digit waypoint names, and newer cache codes are 7 digits.

Edited by coggins

2.14 makes it a GEN1 eTrex, the first model that was replaced with the GEN2 model that had WAAS, replaced by the current GEN3 eTrex H.

As far as tricks, if you use GSAK, use the "drop 2" setting in the waypoint names to cut the "GC" off the front of cache ID's as the unit can only have 6 digit waypoint names, and newer cache codes are 7 digits.

Thanks for the info! Picked up for $20 and sure does make finding caches a bit easier... thanks and send me an IN-N-Out burger please double double animal style!